2nd year at UC Davis confused about what my career goals are and would greatly benefit from advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I switch from biochemistry to chemical engineering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rang1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year biochemistry major at UC Davis. I was thinking of chemical engineering major as a backup in case I don't get into PA school. However, I think it will bring my GPA down and ruin my chances of getting into PA or CLS school(I ruled out med school bc I can't afford the financial/mental risks). I don't want to be working a desk job(ex: finance) doing repetitive, meaningless things just for a good salary right out of college. I'm trying to be realistic and know that I have to make sacrifices for high-paying, stable, and rewarding jobs along with aligning my interests and things I'm good at. I haven't tried taking chemical engineering courses yet but I want to try them. If I don't do so well, I would lower my gpa as opposed to staying on biochemistry track. But at least I tried them and not regret not taking them later on(I have done some research and found out that getting a 2nd bachelor's degree in engineering is possible but has financial risks since I will be in more debt and I might not even like it or find a job after it). Another reason I don't want to go into biochemistry is because I feel it's just memorization and is not a marketable degree for good job prospects after graduation(I don't plan on going to grad school/med school, too long and my interests might change, and plus they can't guarantee I can get a stable and good job). I don't see myself working as a lab tech/slave in an temporary position at minimum wage doing something. Sure, I might be contributing to biomedical research and science, but I feel only people who are extremely passionate in science and don't mind doing these low-paying unstable jobs(due to research being dependent on grants) are suited for biochemistry. I definitely don't go into this category. I'm doing biochemistry simply because it will help me get into PA or CLS school much easier as opposed to being cheme. I don't want to get a low gpa in cheme bc this would mean not getting a job in cheme AND not being able to get into cls or pa school. This is the worst case scenario I find myself in(not pessimistic but realistic here). I find myself leaning more towards pa and cls school rather than cheme(most of their jobs are desk jobs, which I find boring). I do know that Physician Assistants/Clinical Lab Scientists would have similar desk jobs but I think they would have a much more easier time dealing with that kind of lifestyle since they feel the work they did is very meaningful(plus I want to get patient interaction). I have a lot of different plans but I would like feedback on which one best suits me based on the background I gave above about me.

Plan A: Stick with biochemistry(Maintain a high GPA) and do healthcare/research stuff to get into PA/Clinical Lab Science School. Pretty sure that it's so competitive I won't get in on my first time so I'm probably going to work as a lab tech and/or health care work to pay off my student loans. If I happen to not being a lab tech and not get into PA school after so many tries, I'm probably going to do engineering prereqs at CC, then apply for a 2nd bachelors/masters in chemical engineering.

Plan B: Go with chemical engineering(Maintain a mediocre GPA) and get healthcare experience after graduation(focus on coop for cheme during college). If I happen to not like my cheme job, can't find a cheme job, or happen to be dead set on applying to PA school, go to CC to raise my mediocre GPA and do healthcare experience like EMT in the meantime).

I don't want to spread myself too thin and understand that getting a high GPA is important to getting into PA school. But I want to have backups. Even people stellar GPA and healthcare experience don't get in.

I don't see myself working at a desk job and not use most of what I learned as a cheme just to make a decent salary out of college and be reassured I will pay off my student loans. Sure it's good pay like around $60k starting out with a coop under my belt(this salary is almost impossible with a biochem degree and lab research work, b/c there's a huge supply of bio people with lab research). But I will probably get used to this "cubicle" misery b/c I will also have to be looking at computers all day as a PA/clinical lab scientist. I also know that chemes who work in oil rigs would risk their health bc of the toxic chemicals/explosions. That's why I want to go into biotech as a cheme(won't make as much but I value my health more than what I earn in oil). I probably might even switch to biocheme, which meets a lot of prereqs for pa/cls school.

I feel a BS in biochem with lab research won't have as good job prospects as a cheme with cooop in getting into biotech/pharma. People with bio related degrees would have to go through a PhD/Masters just to get a decent stable job that a chem with just a BS can easily get right after college. I also think chemes can go into R & D too(This is possible with companies like Genentech). Chemes is so versatile that I'm pretty sure I can land a decent stable entry level job in biotech. Also some chemes don't have to be working at their desk all day; in fact, I think they will be moving a lot in factories/biotech labs, so I think "desk" job isn't an issue for chemes in biotech. I think it's just a matter of whether I'm interested enough in cheme and can get at least a 3.0 GPA.

I don't want to do lab research for my entire life. Do PAs have to do research like doctors do? I'm more interested in diagnosing, prescribing medications, treating patients thorugh hands on clinical rotations/training. But I don't see myself going through many research articles. I do know that PAs have to be continually updated on medical education, which I understand is important for their credibility but I'm not so sure if they have to do like actual research(flipping through different research articles and trying to do medical research). This research thing is really bugging especially in science, but it's just so unstable. People can easily change their interests in research, jobs are dependent on funds, and they could just as easily be working at desk jobs. So my thought is, in this case, why not go into cheme and make more money or get a stable job? The only thing stopping me from going into cheme is ruining my chances of going into CLS and PA school. But I think if I do get like a 3.0 GPA, I would probably be doing post bac at my cc(CCSF). It would take a long time to boost my GPA, but since it's free, I think the issue would just be time. I don't mind finishing my prereqs at CC after graduation with cheme. Plus, I can do healthcare experience after I graduate in cheme. It's not like med school, where I have to be doing a lot of research and extracurriculars while I'm in school.

Thanks so much for reading up to this point! I greatly appreciate any feedback. I need to make a decision as soon as possible in switching into cheme to graduate in a decent amount of time(4 or 5 and a quarter years). Also the earlier I switch in, the better chances I have of getting a cheme coop and to finish my prereqs for pa/cls(if that's even possible but I doubt it during my cheme study). I'm planning to finish those prereqs after graduation at cc. I don't think courses at cc would look bad as long as I get good grades in them.

Please note that I'm willing to spend time and effort on getting a stable, secure job. I know that high pay comes with risks(ex: getting sued as a physician assistant) or being exposed to chemicals/oil explosions(cheme/pharma) but I believe that with proper training and passion, these risks can mitigated. Plus these risks are rare, but I am realistic and don't want to get a high paying job if it's going to deteoriate my health at a very high chance. However, I rather through go these risks because I'm going to be spending the rest of my life doing this rather than doing repetitive things at a low paying job(ex: being a waiter). I am ambitious and very hardworking but I want to play my cards right and don't accumulate unnecessary and excessive debt(hence not being a doctor). Grad school doesn't suit me even though it covers tuition with a stipend of around $20k/year. This is much safer than being a physician assistant or being a cheme working in the oil rigs, but I don't want to settle for something that is not going to give me a decent pay and stable job. My backup plan if I don't do well in cheme is to go back into biochem and prepare myself for physician assistant. I really have no other choices with biochem. I feel biochem would only lead me to physician assistant. But with cheme, I get to do more(without grad school) and can even apply for physician assistant school if I have the grades.

But with cheme, I can get a bad GPA(<3.0) and lose my chance of going into pa school and even getting a cheme job. Hopefully, when I take some cheme classes, I will know if I can handle them. But I want to make this decision soon. If I happen to change my major back to biochem, I would need to finish core classes for it and also need time for research. By what classes and what GPA in my junior and senior year would I know can handle cheme at UC Davis?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you summarize the problem in less than 10 sentences.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you summarize the problem in less than 10 sentences.
"Plan A: Stick with biochemistry(Maintain a high GPA) and do healthcare/research stuff to get into PA/Clinical Lab Science School. Pretty sure that it's so competitive I won't get in on my first time so I'm probably going to work as a lab tech and/or health care work to pay off my student loans. If I happen to not being a lab tech and not get into PA school after so many tries, I'm probably going to do engineering prereqs at CC, then apply for a 2nd bachelors/masters in chemical engineering.

Plan B: Go with chemical engineering(Maintain a mediocre GPA) and get healthcare experience after graduation(focus on coop for cheme during college). If I happen to not like my cheme job, can't find a cheme job, or happen to be dead set on applying to PA school, go to CC to raise my mediocre GPA and do healthcare experience like EMT in the meantime). "

PlanA: BioChem -> Bad future prospect in terms of job market but can maintain good GPA for PA school. Go full-on for PA school.
Plan B: Chem Engineer-> Good prospect, but can't maintain competitive GPA, so going full with Chem E. Then slowly work toward PA school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stick with being a biochem major, to be honest. You know you can do well and it seems that PA school is your goal. Why risk it and change your major to get a somewhat stable job for one/two years if you're going to go back to school anyways? I may be a little biased because I was a biochem major, but there are plenty of opportunities as a biochem major in biotech/academia that pay well. I also went to a college in the Bay Area and am working as a research associate, making just under $57k at UCSF, so you can be making close to a cheme salary. It's completely possible to find a stable, good paying job as a biochem major. I have friends from school working for Genentech, Roche, Allergan, etc. I personally think that as a biochem major you actually have more options than as a chemical engineer major. As a cheme your options in the job field are more narrowed, while as a biochem major there is a broader field you could apply to. PM if you have any questions.

If you're dead set on PA school then major in BioSci at UCD instead of biochem. Biochem is definitely a lot more difficult because of the upper div chem and biochem classes ---> not as high of GPA. You can still take a biochem lab and some biotech classes in bio sci (it's a very flexible major) and have enough skills to work as a research associate in your gap year(s).

If you have the brains for engineering then I would do that. 4 years of school and great paying job. You could also look into biomedical engineering?

You just have to decide if working with patients in a clinical setting is what you want to do. Some PA schools also have high requirements for clinical hours which you have to think of doing during undergrad or your gap year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would stick with being a biochem major, to be honest. You know you can do well and it seems that PA school is your goal. Why risk it and change your major to get a somewhat stable job for one/two years if you're going to go back to school anyways? I may be a little biased because I was a biochem major, but there are plenty of opportunities as a biochem major in biotech/academia that pay well. I also went to a college in the Bay Area and am working as a research associate, making just under $57k at UCSF, so you can be making close to a cheme salary. It's completely possible to find a stable, good paying job as a biochem major. I have friends from school working for Genentech, Roche, Allergan, etc. I personally think that as a biochem major you actually have more options than as a chemical engineer major. As a cheme your options in the job field are more narrowed, while as a biochem major there is a broader field you could apply to. PM if you have any questions.

To be honest I don't know if I will do well in biochem. I'm just starting on ochem classes. With a cheme degree, I can be working for those companies you mentioned, and without grad school. Heck, when they list the required degrees for those jobs like process engineer or research associate, they say "biochemistry, biology, or related science." The phrase "related science" already shows that they're willing to accept chemical engineers, who actually are employed often in biotech/pharma industries. To work for these companies as a biochem, I need to get a MS/PhD. I don't want to go through that much schooling. I'm willing to go 2 years of school for PA because it's stable and not long. Getting a MS/PhD to work in biotech as a biochem is not stable in my opinion. At least from what I have been told, you have to be very smart, get good letters of recs, need to do a lot of published research, etc. Healthcare is very stable and I'm pretty sure I can get a stable job whether it's being a clinical lab scientist or physician assistant. Note that biochem's average gpa at UCD is 3.1, while Cheme is 2.9.

To be honest I don't know if I will do well in biochem. I'm just starting on ochem classes. With a cheme degree, I can be working for those companies you mentioned, and without grad school. Heck, when they list the required degrees for those jobs like process engineer or research associate, they say "biochemistry, biology, or related science." The phrase "related science" already shows that they're willing to accept chemical engineers, who actually are employed often in biotech/pharma industries. To work for these companies as a biochem, I need to get a MS/PhD. I don't want to go through that much schooling. I'm willing to go 2 years of school for PA because it's stable and not long. Getting a MS/PhD to work in biotech as a biochem is not stable in my opinion. At least from what I have been told, you have to be very smart, get good letters of recs, need to do a lot of published research, etc. Healthcare is very stable and I'm pretty sure I can get a stable job whether it's being a clinical lab scientist or physician assistant. Note that biochem's average gpa at UCD is 3.1, while Cheme is 2.9.
I've looked into Davis a while ago to transfer as Chem w/Env. Chem concentration major and saw that Ochem was UpperDiv.
Last time I've checked, USC did this too: they put Ochem up as UpperDiv.
I'm pretty sure you'll have an idea about your major and you'll see how you'll do.

If you're dead set on PA school then major in BioSci at UCD instead of biochem. Biochem is definitely a lot more difficult because of the upper div chem and biochem classes ---> not as high of GPA. You can still take a biochem lab and some biotech classes in bio sci (it's a very flexible major) and have enough skills to work as a research associate in your gap year(s).

If you have the brains for engineering then I would do that. 4 years of school and great paying job. You could also look into biomedical engineering?

You just have to decide if working with patients in a clinical setting is what you want to do. Some PA schools also have high requirements for clinical hours which you have to think of doing during undergrad or your gap year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Biomedical engineering is out of the question. I could easily specialize in the medicine side through chemical engineering. BME is a jack of all trades and is a relatively new engineering field. Honestly, it's going to be unstable. Sometimes people go for the major they think they love only to find out they dont like it in the end after graduation and working. I also might not like cheme in the end, but I feel the high salary and stability is worth it in the end. Plus, I haven't taken any cheme classes yet, so I can't say I don't like it. But I also want to be realistic and not spread myself too thin. I think I'm going to stick with biochem for now to pursue PA/CLS and maybe work at UCSF for a good salary with good lab experience. If I happen to not find a job with biochem, I'll just do health care jobs like emt for low wages to pay off my loans. By the time I finish paying off my loans, I'm going to go back to school for 2nd bachelors/masters in cheme. I feel this is the best path for me right now. I want to give my best shot right now and not want to repair my GPA at CC afterwards. I feel it's not worth it. At least going through biochem and the rigorous lab experience, I'll know my interests better and would likely know if I would like cheme in the end. I honestly am leaning towards CLS more so than PA because CLS is not only stable but also I don't get sued as likely. It's also high paying too I heard, especially at UCSF. My dream job right now is CLS at UCSF.

Basically, I don't know if I should switch from biochemistry into cheme for the job prospects of a cheme as opposed to that of a biochem. PA/CLS school is already competitive so I don't want to waste my 4 years of getting a biochem degree with no stable high paying job and can't get into PA/CLS school. This is my worst case scenario, but it's definitely possible.

What positions are you friends in? Their job titles? Years of experience? How long did it take for them to get to work at Genentech, Roche, etc? GPA? Examples of research experience? Can they go into "process engineer" positions that are typically reserved for chemes if they have an internship in process engineering? Greatly appreciate if you can get this information from your friends. As a 2nd year, I obviously don't know how the job market out there is like and what kind of qualifications these kind of companies want. All I hear from my professors is keep getting lab research experience. But that's so vague. Exactly what kind of transferable skills are these companies looking for? Just keep getting lab research experience without an end goal or specific job is kind of pointless to me in my opinion. With a cheme, I suppose I can get a coop in process engineering like dupont, genentech, pfizer, etc. Then I get an entry level position and work my way up. To me, this is much more predictable. Just getting lab research is so vague. With a huge supply of people with bio degrees doing research, companies can be very picky. In fact, even if you do so well in a particular research position, the subjects you're learning might not even be relevant to the company's interests. Bio research is just so broad and typically, even a bio job would have many preferred qualifications that even someone with a lot of research won't meet. In fact, to be honest with you, getting into genentech, roche, with a BS in biochem simply is not enough. I do see them posting positions requiring just a BS, but considering the huge supply of people with biochem as opposed to cheme degrees, they can be very picky.

Greatly appreciate your help!

go to PA school

PAs I have heard can get sued like other healthcare professionals. Even if PAs weren't in the patient's room, and they were just on call, their name can be put into the lawsuit. Then they have to go through hell bc they might go broke even with malpractice insurance. Plus doing some mistake that was not intentional can cost someone's life and most importantly one's job. It sounds really nice to be helping people but I really don't want to go through that much debt and lose my job and possibly even my license. I know I sound very pessimistic, but to be honest, people do make mistakes in healthcare. This is what's really bugging me. Also, even if PAs are supervised by doctors, mistakes that are solely due to the PA's fault can simply result in ONLY the PA being sued. That to me makes me wonder if PAs are sufficiently trained enough. Not going through that much schooling like doctors but have to go thorugh on the job training for different specialities makes me wonder if I will easily make a mistake as a PA. Plus, having to keep asking the doctor to fill in on one's knowledge and having to put up with not doing too much of one's role just makes PA not as rewarding as I thought it would be.

PAs I have heard can get sued like other healthcare professionals. Even if PAs weren't in the patient's room, and they were just on call, their name can be put into the lawsuit. Then they have to go through hell bc they might go broke even with malpractice insurance. Plus doing some mistake that was not intentional can cost someone's life and most importantly one's job. It sounds really nice to be helping people but I really don't want to go through that much debt and lose my job and possibly even my license. I know I sound very pessimistic, but to be honest, people do make mistakes in healthcare. This is what's really bugging me. Also, even if PAs are supervised by doctors, mistakes that are solely due to the PA's fault can simply result in ONLY the PA being sued. That to me makes me wonder if PAs are sufficiently trained enough. Not going through that much schooling like doctors but have to go thorugh on the job training for different specialities makes me wonder if I will easily make a mistake as a PA. Plus, having to keep asking the doctor to fill in on one's knowledge and having to put up with not doing too much of one's role just makes PA not as rewarding as I thought it would be.

All medical professionals can get sued. At least as a PA, you are working under supervision of MD's so chances of you getting sued are less compared to others (MD's and Dentists). In my opinion, the best medical career to get into after taking into account tuition, length of training and stress level is PA(you can specialize in dermatology, neurology, surgery, etc). The only downside is pride. But seriously who cares what people think about you. You go to work, make decent salary, have very little debt and liabilities.
Also why are you majoring in biochemistry? Just major in general biology and take simple upper level science classes (general biochem 1, microbio, orgo, etc). Keep your GPA high and get into PA school.

Members don't see this ad :)
All medical professionals can get sued. At least as a PA, you are working under supervision of MD's so chances of you getting sued are less compared to others (MD's and Dentists). In my opinion, the best medical career to get into after taking into account tuition, length of training and stress level is PA(you can specialize in dermatology, neurology, surgery, etc). The only downside is pride. But seriously who cares what people think about you. You go to work, make decent salary, have very little debt and liabilities.
Also why are you majoring in biochemistry? Just major in general biology and take simple upper level science classes (general biochem 1, microbio, orgo, etc). Keep your GPA high and get into PA school.

What if I major in cheme do so so in cheme courses, but do very well in the prereqs. Do they take that into account? I know they don't take into account the difficulty of the major. But I'm pretty sure they don't look simply at the GPA and that's it. They look at how well you do in the prereqs. I feel that I can do very well in the prereqs for PA/CLS as a cheme, but I would have to graduate later. I would have a bad cumulative/science GPA bc of the cheme classes, but if I get like mostly As in the prereqs, shouldn't I still have a chance of getting in? GPA is only an one part of indicating success in PA school. I think it's much more beneficial to PA schools to look at the grades gotten in prereqs, not the GPA.

What if I major in cheme do so so in cheme courses, but do very well in the prereqs. Do they take that into account? I know they don't take into account the difficulty of the major. But I'm pretty sure they don't look simply at the GPA and that's it. They look at how well you do in the prereqs. I feel that I can do very well in the prereqs for PA/CLS as a cheme, but I would have to graduate later. I would have a bad cumulative/science GPA bc of the cheme classes, but if I get like mostly As in the prereqs, shouldn't I still have a chance of getting in? GPA is only an one part of indicating success in PA school. I think it's much more beneficial to PA schools to look at the grades gotten in prereqs, not the GPA.

If you plan on being a PA (or other medical professional) don't take any classes that will drop your GPA if you don't have to. Trust me. I would avoid all the engineering courses.

The positions my friends are in are entry lab, Lab Associates/Researchers etc. and you are right that if they want to rise up in the ranks of the company they'll need to pursue a Masters or PhD, but because most of them want to go to medical school, they took these jobs to help pay off loans. I am in the same boat, I'll be working at UCSF for another year or two if I don't get into medical school this next cycle. Only one of my friends had a Master degree and the others were all straight out of college. These positions at Genentech, Roche and Allergen were all entry level so they just needed a BS. I can't expand on them moving into a "process engineer" position because I don't know anything about that/they want to go to medical school so they aren't looking to expand in the company. I would also do the best you can GPA wise. A lot of my friends had 3.6+ which I think is important for getting a good job at a top company. They also had research experience in college. I can tell you that your professor that is being vague about research is doing it on purpose. Just being involved in any type of research gets you exposed to the field in general, whether that's biomedical, engineering, stem cell, environmental, etc. The whole process of being involved in research gets you exposed to reading literature, critical thinking, protocol development and other nuances that are important for every lab. Now while it is great to search for a lab that you're interested in or hope to gain experience for a job, you do not have to have the exact qualifications that your future job may entail. The research I did in college was proteomics/genomics/mass spec and it has absolutely nothing to do with the position I'm in right now (stem cell research/immunology). Now, I understand I am n=1 and my best advice to you would be search out a lab at Davis that interests you for a position you would want to have after college.

What positions are you friends in? Their job titles? Years of experience? How long did it take for them to get to work at Genentech, Roche, etc? GPA? Examples of research experience? Can they go into "process engineer" positions that are typically reserved for chemes if they have an internship in process engineering? Greatly appreciate if you can get this information from your friends. As a 2nd year, I obviously don't know how the job market out there is like and what kind of qualifications these kind of companies want. All I hear from my professors is keep getting lab research experience. But that's so vague. Exactly what kind of transferable skills are these companies looking for? Just keep getting lab research experience without an end goal or specific job is kind of pointless to me in my opinion. With a cheme, I suppose I can get a coop in process engineering like dupont, genentech, pfizer, etc. Then I get an entry level position and work my way up. To me, this is much more predictable. Just getting lab research is so vague. With a huge supply of people with bio degrees doing research, companies can be very picky. In fact, even if you do so well in a particular research position, the subjects you're learning might not even be relevant to the company's interests. Bio research is just so broad and typically, even a bio job would have many preferred qualifications that even someone with a lot of research won't meet. In fact, to be honest with you, getting into genentech, roche, with a BS in biochem simply is not enough. I do see them posting positions requiring just a BS, but considering the huge supply of people with biochem as opposed to cheme degrees, they can be very picky.

Greatly appreciate your help!
The positions my friends are in are entry lab, Lab Associates/Researchers etc. and you are right that if they want to rise up in the ranks of the company they'll need to pursue a Masters or PhD, but because most of them want to go to medical school, they took these jobs to help pay off loans. I am in the same boat, I'll be working at UCSF for another year or two if I don't get into medical school this next cycle. Only one of my friends had a Master degree and the others were all straight out of college. These positions at Genentech, Roche and Allergen were all entry level so they just needed a BS. I can't expand on them moving into a "process engineer" position because I don't know anything about that/they want to go to medical school so they aren't looking to expand in the company. I would also do the best you can GPA wise. A lot of my friends had 3.6+ which I think is important for getting a good job at a top company. They also had research experience in college. I can tell you that your professor that is being vague about research is doing it on purpose. Just being involved in any type of research gets you exposed to the field in general, whether that's biomedical, engineering, stem cell, environmental, etc. The whole process of being involved in research gets you exposed to reading literature, critical thinking, protocol development and other nuances that are important for every lab. Now while it is great to search for a lab that you're interested in or hope to gain experience for a job, you do not have to have the exact qualifications that your future job may entail. The research I did in college was proteomics/genomics/mass spec and it has absolutely nothing to do with the position I'm in right now (stem cell research/immunology). Now, I understand I am n=1 and my best advice to you would be search out a lab at Davis that interests you for a position you would want to have after college.

The thing is I don't plan on going to med school. I only have plans for Physician Assistant/Clinical Lab Scientist. These schools do require high GPA, but I think they're easier to get in than in med school. CLS does require lab experience, which I think will be hard to get once I graduated from Davis. I guess I'll just go with biochem and keep getting lab research experience. I guess if I'm unlucky and can't really find a job with biochem, I'll just keep doing health care jobs like EMT to pay off the loans, then get a 2nd bachelors in cheme.

The thing is I don't plan on going to med school. I only have plans for Physician Assistant/Clinical Lab Scientist. These schools do require high GPA, but I think they're easier to get in than in med school. CLS does require lab experience, which I think will be hard to get once I graduated from Davis. I guess I'll just go with biochem and keep getting lab research experience. I guess if I'm unlucky and can't really find a job with biochem, I'll just keep doing health care jobs like EMT to pay off the loans, then get a 2nd bachelors in cheme.

Yeah I understand med school isn't your goal, but PA/CLS is. My thought process is to keep going with the biochem, gain some research experience by emailing professors around Davis, get a job for a year or two in the healthcare field/biotech/academia after you graduate, then apply and go to PA school or CLS.

I was a CLS before I became a nurse. Just to make sure you know what a CLS does, they run the machines in a hospital laboratory (or even a reference lab), and make sure they run appropriately. CLS folks who work in microbiology or blood bank do more hands on stuff like plating microbes, setting up samples, preparing blood for transfusion... stuff like that. A good way for me to describe it is like working in a kitchen in a restaurant. When I started over 8 years ago (I'm guessing how long ago I started), my lab had more technical skills that were required. We put together the QC samples, did a ton of things hands on, even hand entered results. I went to stop into the lab recently, and almost everything was automated, even blood banking, which for me used to involve tons of steps performed by hand. Now a robot does it. In chemistry, the med techs don't even look at most results before approving them... they are "auto verified" meaning the computer spits them out without a human even seeing them. A camera scans samples of urine and blood slides and makes a more accurate determination than we ever did through a microscope. The work as a CLS (AKA medical technologist) now mostly involves ensuring samples arrive in proper condition, and that things were prepared correctly. And the biggest part of the job is making sure the machines run well. QC is even so much more automated than in years past that there is even less to do in that realm, and its not front and center anymore. That all is becoming more the norm than when I started. That's not to say that there isn't a huge demand for med techs, or that they aren't paid well, but the job may not be what you imagine it to be. You aren't sitting there solving mystery diagnosis's, you are making sure the machine is working and the samples are set up to run. I liked it, and it was cool, but depending on where you work, it may not even feel like a medical career at times. Then there are all the items of paperwork and regulation involved. there is a lot of time spent documenting repair, QC, and adherence to competency and proficiency testing.

CLS school isn't terribly hard to get into like PA school would be. They are all over. A lot of components might even be online, though not all.

I was a CLS before I became a nurse. Just to make sure you know what a CLS does, they run the machines in a hospital laboratory (or even a reference lab), and make sure they run appropriately. CLS folks who work in microbiology or blood bank do more hands on stuff like plating microbes, setting up samples, preparing blood for transfusion... stuff like that. A good way for me to describe it is like working in a kitchen in a restaurant. When I started over 8 years ago (I'm guessing how long ago I started), my lab had more technical skills that were required. We put together the QC samples, did a ton of things hands on, even hand entered results. I went to stop into the lab recently, and almost everything was automated, even blood banking, which for me used to involve tons of steps performed by hand. Now a robot does it. In chemistry, the med techs don't even look at most results before approving them... they are "auto verified" meaning the computer spits them out without a human even seeing them. A camera scans samples of urine and blood slides and makes a more accurate determination than we ever did through a microscope. The work as a CLS (AKA medical technologist) now mostly involves ensuring samples arrive in proper condition, and that things were prepared correctly. And the biggest part of the job is making sure the machines run well. QC is even so much more automated than in years past that there is even less to do in that realm, and its not front and center anymore. That all is becoming more the norm than when I started. That's not to say that there isn't a huge demand for med techs, or that they aren't paid well, but the job may not be what you imagine it to be. You aren't sitting there solving mystery diagnosis's, you are making sure the machine is working and the samples are set up to run. I liked it, and it was cool, but depending on where you work, it may not even feel like a medical career at times. Then there are all the items of paperwork and regulation involved. there is a lot of time spent documenting repair, QC, and adherence to competency and proficiency testing.

CLS school isn't terribly hard to get into like PA school would be. They are all over. A lot of components might even be online, though not all.

But there's like around 10 seats for around 100 applicants to get into CLS. I really want to get into the UCD CLS program because the tuition is free. From what you wrote, I kind of think the lab work is not really hands-on. But I guess a job is a job. A lot of engineer jobs are desk jobs and involve a lot of paperwork. Engineers would not be using calculus everyday to solve their problems. Most of what they learn from what I read online is through coop. I guess CLS also is like engineering jobs in this aspect. I really can't ask for more from a job. Every job will get repetitive and be boring for everyone. But I think what matters down the road for maybe several years, to me, is getting a stable, high paying job that I enjoy and am good at. Once I finish off my loans, then I think it will get boring. By then, I may switch into another field. Do you know if online CLS schools are easier to get in, just as reputable as the non-online ones, and can get the license like the non-online ones?

But there's like around 10 seats for around 100 applicants to get into CLS. I really want to get into the UCD CLS program because the tuition is free. From what you wrote, I kind of think the lab work is not really hands-on. But I guess a job is a job. A lot of engineer jobs are desk jobs and involve a lot of paperwork. Engineers would not be using calculus everyday to solve their problems. Most of what they learn from what I read online is through coop. I guess CLS also is like engineering jobs in this aspect. I really can't ask for more from a job. Every job will get repetitive and be boring for everyone. But I think what matters down the road for maybe several years, to me, is getting a stable, high paying job that I enjoy and am good at. Once I finish off my loans, then I think it will get boring. By then, with enough savings, maybe I can afford the financial risk to switch into another field. Do you know if online CLS schools are easier to get in, just as reputable as the non-online ones, and can get the license like the non-online ones?

The thing I'm worried about is getting a low-paying lab tech job that's temporary and that I can easily get laid off from. I'm pretty sure my passion in science would end just like that. Just having to go through that stress of finding another job, heck, just any job, to make a living. That's what I think turns many people down from doing bio majors and just doing engineering instead. I really do want to prepare for the worst. But engineering jobs are no different either I guess, because they require coops and experience as well. They usually have to gain enough experience, get EIT, go through PE, and then have to work in a company for a long time to get into management roles. Even someone with the research experience or the engineering experience is so passionate in their field and wants to get a stable high paying job, other people will lesser qualifications could probably take their spot through their own networking. Bio related majors are at a disadvantage compared to engineers I guess because there's a huge supply of bio-related majors but very little supply of engineers, which could actually compensate for lack of networking. Any thoughts on this?

But there's like around 10 seats for around 100 applicants to get into CLS. I really want to get into the UCD CLS program because the tuition is free. From what you wrote, I kind of think the lab work is not really hands-on. But I guess a job is a job. A lot of engineer jobs are desk jobs and involve a lot of paperwork. Engineers would not be using calculus everyday to solve their problems. Most of what they learn from what I read online is through coop. I guess CLS also is like engineering jobs in this aspect. I really can't ask for more from a job. Every job will get repetitive and be boring for everyone. But I think what matters down the road for maybe several years, to me, is getting a stable, high paying job that I enjoy and am good at. Once I finish off my loans, then I think it will get boring. By then, I may switch into another field. Do you know if online CLS schools are easier to get in, just as reputable as the non-online ones, and can get the license like the non-online ones?

I honestly wouldn't mind doing CLS even though it sounds kind of boring from what you said, as long as it's stable and decent paying job. I feel after I have enough savings, I could easily pursue my hobbies or go in other fields.

$57k as a research associate at UCSF with just a BS in biochem? I'm really interested in how you get this position. Can you laid out what you did in research during undergrad and your GPA, stats,etc.? That sounds too good to be true, but SF's cost of living is pretty high so I'm half surprised. Even postdoc positions are maybe around $50k/year, so I think you got the position bc of your extensive research experience, which I'm very interested in hearing about. Thanks!

$57k as a research associate at UCSF with just a BS in biochem? I'm really interested in how you get this position. Can you laid out what you did in research during undergrad and your GPA, stats,etc.? That sounds too good to be true, but SF's cost of living is pretty high so I'm half surprised. Even postdoc positions are maybe around $50k/year, so I think you got the position bc of your extensive research experience, which I'm very interested in hearing about. Thanks!

I'm going to PM you!

tl;dr: software engineering / computer programming offers one of the best job markets out there and requires the least amount of time in schooling and loans for the pay and job security. There is a huge shortage of computer programmers right now. CS grads can easily get 5 job offers with signing bonuses thrown at them before graduation.

I know software engineering is pretty stable and high pay. But I don't want to be working at a desk looking at computer all day. Maybe I can do cs a couple of years and pay off my loans. I definitely agree cs is pretty good like engineering. Cheme however can fulfill cls requirements better. Also I think if I want to go into cs I can easily get into a cs program after graduation and get a job through an internship/coding class. Not all cs jobs require cs degrees. It's harder to get an engineering job without an engineers degree. I tried Linux class before and I had a lot of trouble before.