2nd year in college with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuyuki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 2nd year spring quarter in undergraduate. I have a 2.7 cumulative gpa right now.
Pre-req Classes I had taken already:
3 quarters of calculus for science and engineering with B, C, C+
3 quarters of general chemistry with A-, B, B
2 quarters of general chemistry lab with A, B
2 quarters of organic chemistry with B-, C+
2 quarters of organic chemistry lab with B-, C+
1 quarter of general biology with B-
1 quarter of writing with pass/no pass

Major: Biology

Currently I'm taking 2 pre req classes this quarter: Organic chemistry, and writing.
So, is it still possible to raise my gpa to 3.4 by the time I finished biology degree?
I'm really stress out right now because of my gpa...

Members don't see this ad.

dont worry. i had lower marks in first year but boosted it up alot and am applying this september..

Don't ask if it's possible. Just figure it out yourself. You know how many grade points and units you have. You also know how many units you have left to complete until you graduate. Figure out what your average gpa must be to hit 3.5 by the time you graduate and then go for it. Make it a goal to keep improving your transcript keeps until the completion of your bio degree. They may not be impressed by your pre-req's but hopefully, your overall gpa (and upper division grades) will offset any of their reservations. Also contact the schools you're interested in and see what they recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with Jeff. Don't let your first two years freak you out. You still have 2 more! (Well.. I guess 1 1/2 more), but that's 3 semesters worth of grade points that are still left undecided! I'm in the same boat as you, but don't give up. You may be like me, where the first two years were hit with classes (maybe chem?) that kicked you in the butt. Since you're a biology major, as you move on to upper level classes, you will probably enjoy it more and make better grades. To answer your question, YES it is possible to raise your GPA. Now that you're running behind, you've just got some catching up to do.. like me:) Best of luck!

I'm in my 2nd year spring quarter in undergraduate. I have a 2.7 cumulative gpa right now.
Pre-req Classes I had taken already:
3 quarters of calculus for science and engineering with B, C, C+
3 quarters of general chemistry with A-, B, B
2 quarters of general chemistry lab with A, B
2 quarters of organic chemistry with B-, C+
2 quarters of organic chemistry lab with B-, C+
1 quarter of general biology with B-
1 quarter of writing with pass/no pass

Major: Biology

Currently I'm taking 2 pre req classes this quarter: Organic chemistry, and writing.
So, is it still possible to raise my gpa to 3.4 by the time I finished biology degree?
I'm really stress out right now because of my gpa...

4 C's will not kill you. I got into SCCO with more than 4 (I had 5-6), and had a 3.3 GPA when i finished.