2nd Year in Podiatry School (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnePodRanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks!

I hope you guys are doing well and staying inside! Since, I have way more time due the situation that we currently in, I thought I could do an overview of my 2nd year in podiatry school so far. Originally, I wanted to finish my 2nd year and Part I of the Boards but..... I thought it will be great to give you guys an insight of it now! I also did a post about my experience during my 1st year in podiatry school, if you guys just wanted to know.

BEFORE I begin, this is completely subjective and this is from my perspective only. I also attend at DMU and so, the curriculum that I currently attend could be different for other schools.

1st Semester
This semester (22.5 credits) was MUCH easier than the spring semester of my 1st year (24 credits). You must be wondering....dude, that's almost the same number of credits and you are right! However, the classes that I took were pretty much review from my 1st year but a little more in depth. So, I took courses called review of systems and they were split up into neurology and psychology, cardiology and pulmonary, endocrine and heme, and GI and Renal. That was the majority of the credits but they weren't too bad since I had previous knowledge of them during my 1st year. What was new was taking Medical Pharmacology, Lower Dermatology and Cultural Competency (let's ignore this class since DMU is the only school that does this). Pharm was a beast and this was the last time the podiatry students are with the DOs. This class was a hit or miss for a lot of students and for me personally, I enjoyed it and did really well in the class with a B+ (I was one of those people who was at the 89-90 range and I the lower end of the stick... sigh.....). It consisted a lot.....of memorization and sketchy (LIFE SAVER). That discussion will be for later when I finish Part I. Okay....for the Lower Dermatology course, this class was supposed to be taken during my 2nd semester of 2nd year but the school thought it would be better to add it during the 1st semester and they were right! I'll explain it later! The class was definitely just memorization and recognition. It's a bit difficult because one rash looks exactly the same as another but there are ways to kind of figure it out of which ones are which. The class wasn't difficult but it was definitely annoying. For experiences, I definitely volunteered more since I had more time on my hands and took these simulation labs that consisted of working with other students in a emergency room situation (those were stressful but fun). Overall, this semester was probably the easiest one so far that I had taken at DMU but may be it was because I knew what to expect at that point in terms of material and studying. I finished with a 3.3 GPA for that semester and I'm going to be honest here...I could of worked harder if I wanted to but I was losing motivation at some points.

2nd Semester
This will be incomplete but I finished the majority of my courses here, so you guys are really not missing anything. For this semester, I took Clinical Podiatric Medicine and Diagnostics, Bio-mechanics, and Lower Limb Anatomy so far. I am currently taking my Surgery course and so far, its not too bad but of course, it's a lot! The Clin Pod Med course was......random to say the least. I know of what the school was trying to do but it just didn't work well since a lot of the material was just mashed up together per exam and nothing correlated to each other. It wasn't difficult but it was annoying to work with. Bio-mechanics.......oh.......my.....god......THIS WAS BY FAR......the HARDEST class that I had ever taken in podiatry school. I am not sure if this applied to other schools but that class was comparable to OChem in undergrad for us. I did not know of how I did but I ended up with a B in the course. It's nothing to stress about since it is the least amount of credits for our semester but man...I hated it. Okay....onto Lower Limb Anatomy! This was my favorite class that I ever taken in this course since it's so relevant to our profession and 25% of our boards! See! Things do work out for the 2nd semester. I would say this course was challenging due to how much information that we had to retain in such short amount of time but....I loved every single second of it. DMU did such of an amazing job of teaching us this course that I feel like I don't need to study that hard for this portion on Part I of the Boards. It consisted of a lot....I mean....a lot of labs! May be, that's why all of our classmates did so well in it! It's hard to well in in but it's also hard fail in it too! So, it's April for me and you are probably wondering of what I am doing now. I'm just taking this surgery course and preparing for Part I of the Boards. Of course, the situation made this semester more strange than it should be. So....I really say for sure that this will be the same for you guys. We are supposed to be in clinics during the summer and while preparing for the boards. In conclusion, this was by far, my favorite semester up to date because it was all podiatry stuff and there really wasn't a lot of pressure on us compared to the previous semesters. We actually had time to study the material, properly as well.

Feel free to contact me if you guys have any questions about my 2nd year or 1st year!

Good luck with the application process and stay healthy!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for sharing. I'll be going to Kent but I always wondered how difficult biomechanics will be. Due to the PTSD I got from physics, I'm worried about the math and physics of it haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing. I'll be going to Kent but I always wondered how difficult biomechanics will be. Due to the PTSD I got from physics, I'm worried about the math and physics of it haha.

surprisingly very little math or physics needed.but it is like learning a new language. Just how learning anatomy will be like a new language at first

Reactions: 1 user
Like Osworld said, it's very little math and physics. Again, bio-mechanics at my school is different from other schools. I know a friend that said bio-mechanics was such an easy course at one school (I won't specify).

Like yourself, I am the worst at math and physics but I worked hard in the course and got a decent grade out of it.

Wow this is the first time I ever heard someone say that 4th semester is easy. At nycpm, it’s the hardest semester of all time and people were literally in class from 8-4/5pm! It’s also the longest semester and we have to take 28 credits I believe. Few of the courses meet in blocks though. I’m in my first year but I cannot fathom how they finished their semester (got done with finals this week I think). For us, biomechanics is 1 credit I think, not sure how that course is going to be.

Wow this is the first time I ever heard someone say that 4th semester is easy. At nycpm, it’s the hardest semester of all time and people were literally in class from 8-4/5pm! It’s also the longest semester and we have to take 28 credits I believe. Few of the courses meet in blocks though. I’m in my first year but I cannot fathom how they finished their semester (got done with finals this week I think). For us, biomechanics is 1 credit I think, not sure how that course is going to be.
Like I said, every curriculum varies.

I know but I never heard anyone say second year is easy...even from other schools.

I'd say it just depends on the person. I'm a couple weeks from finals/ending second year & I definitely thought second year was wayyyyyy easier than first year. Not all of my classmates would agree with that though. I studied a lot less & my grades were better-- studying became much more efficient & by now, just used to processing whatever gets thrown at you.

I'd say it just depends on the person. I'm a couple weeks from finals/ending second year & I definitely thought second year was wayyyyyy easier than first year. Not all of my classmates would agree with that though. I studied a lot less & my grades were better-- studying became much more efficient & by now, just used to processing whatever gets thrown at you.

Which school are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

Hello folks!

I hope you guys are doing well and staying inside! Since, I have way more time due the situation that we currently in, I thought I could do an overview of my 2nd year in podiatry school so far. Originally, I wanted to finish my 2nd year and Part I of the Boards but..... I thought it will be great to give you guys an insight of it now! I also did a post about my experience during my 1st year in podiatry school, if you guys just wanted to know.

BEFORE I begin, this is completely subjective and this is from my perspective only. I also attend at DMU and so, the curriculum that I currently attend could be different for other schools.

1st Semester
This semester (22.5 credits) was MUCH easier than the spring semester of my 1st year (24 credits). You must be wondering....dude, that's almost the same number of credits and you are right! However, the classes that I took were pretty much review from my 1st year but a little more in depth. So, I took courses called review of systems and they were split up into neurology and psychology, cardiology and pulmonary, endocrine and heme, and GI and Renal. That was the majority of the credits but they weren't too bad since I had previous knowledge of them during my 1st year. What was new was taking Medical Pharmacology, Lower Dermatology and Cultural Competency (let's ignore this class since DMU is the only school that does this). Pharm was a beast and this was the last time the podiatry students are with the DOs. This class was a hit or miss for a lot of students and for me personally, I enjoyed it and did really well in the class with a B+ (I was one of those people who was at the 89-90 range and I was at the lower end of the stick... sigh.....). It consisted a lot.....of memorization and sketchy (LIFE SAVER). That discussion will be for later when I finish Part I. Okay....for the Lower Dermatology course, this class was supposed to be taken during my 2nd semester of 2nd year but the school thought it would be better to add it during the 1st semester and they were right! I'll explain it later! The class was definitely just memorization and recognition. It's a bit difficult because one rash looks exactly the same as another but there are ways to kind of figure it out of which ones are which. The class wasn't difficult but it was definitely annoying. For experiences, I definitely volunteered more since I had more time on my hands and took these simulation labs that consisted of working with other students in a emergency room situation (those were stressful but fun). Overall, this semester was probably the easiest one so far that I had taken at DMU but may be it was because I knew what to expect at that point in terms of material and studying. I finished with a 3.3 GPA for that semester and I'm going to be honest here...I could of worked harder if I wanted to but I was losing motivation at some points.

2nd Semester
This will be incomplete but I finished the majority of my courses here, so you guys are really not missing anything. For this semester, I took Clinical Podiatric Medicine and Diagnostics, Bio-mechanics, and Lower Limb Anatomy so far. I am currently taking my Surgery course and so far, its not too bad but of course, it's a lot! The Clin Pod Med course was......random to say the least. I know of what the school was trying to do but it just didn't work well since a lot of the material was just mashed up together per exam and nothing correlated to each other. It wasn't difficult but it was annoying to work with. Bio-mechanics.......oh.......my.....god......THIS WAS BY FAR......the HARDEST class that I had ever taken in podiatry school. I am not sure if this applied to other schools but that class was comparable to OChem in undergrad for us. I did not know of how I did but I ended up with a B in the course. It's nothing to stress about since it is the least amount of credits for our semester but man...I hated it. Okay....onto Lower Limb Anatomy! This was my favorite class that I ever taken in this course since it's so relevant to our profession and 25% of our boards! See! Things do work out for the 2nd semester. I would say this course was challenging due to how much information that we had to retain in such short amount of time but....I loved every single second of it. DMU did such of an amazing job of teaching us this course that I feel like I don't need to study that hard for this portion on Part I of the Boards. It consisted of a lot....I mean....a lot of labs! May be, that's why all of our classmates did so well in it! It's hard to well in in but it's also hard fail in it too! So, it's April for me and you are probably wondering of what I am doing now. I'm just taking this surgery course and preparing for Part I of the Boards. Of course, the situation made this semester more strange than it should be. So....I really say for sure that this will be the same for you guys. We are supposed to be in clinics during the summer and while preparing for the boards. In conclusion, this was by far, my favorite semester up to date because it was all podiatry stuff and there really wasn't a lot of pressure on us compared to the previous semesters. We actually had time to study the material, properly as well.

Feel free to contact me if you guys have any questions about my 2nd year or 1st year!

Hello folks!

1st Semester
This semester (22.5 credits) was MUCH easier than the spring semester of my 1st year (24 credits). You must be wondering....dude, that's almost the same number of credits and you are right! However, the classes that I took were pretty much review from my 1st year but a little more in depth. So, I took courses called review of systems and they were split up into neurology and psychology, cardiology and pulmonary, endocrine and heme, and GI and Renal. That was the majority of the credits but they weren't too bad since I had previous knowledge of them during my 1st year. What was new was taking Medical Pharmacology, Lower Dermatology and Cultural Competency (let's ignore this class since DMU is the only school that does this). Pharm was a beast and this was the last time the podiatry students are with the DOs. This class was a hit or miss for a lot of students and for me personally, I enjoyed it and did really well in the class with a B+ (I was one of those people who was at the 89-90 range and I the lower end of the stick... sigh.....). It consisted a lot.....of memorization and sketchy (LIFE SAVER). That discussion will be for later when I finish Part I. Okay....for the Lower Dermatology course, this class was supposed to be taken during my 2nd semester of 2nd year but the school thought it would be better to add it during the 1st semester and they were right! I'll explain it later! The class was definitely just memorization and recognition. It's a bit difficult because one rash looks exactly the same as another but there are ways to kind of figure it out of which ones are which. The class wasn't difficult but it was definitely annoying. For experiences, I definitely volunteered more since I had more time on my hands and took these simulation labs that consisted of working with other students in a emergency room situation (those were stressful but fun). Overall, this semester was probably the easiest one so far that I had taken at DMU but may be it was because I knew what to expect at that point in terms of material and studying. I finished with a 3.3 GPA for that semester and I'm going to be honest here...I could of worked harder if I wanted to but I was losing motivation at some points.

2nd Semester

Hello, I just got accepted into DMU! Any advice? Could you point be towards where to look for roommates or housing? Should I get anything to help me succeed better?

Hello, I just got accepted into DMU! Any advice? Could you point be towards where to look for roommates or housing? Should I get anything to help me succeed better?
Hello,

Sorry for such a late reply! I'm pretty busy with my third year since we have work in clinic now.

Just DM me for more details!