2nd year worried about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheezltz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a second year major in Biochemistry and I'm worried about being able to raise myself up enough to apply to medical school next year. I've been slacking off and my cgpa last quarter was 3.01, which is horrible I know. My lowest science grade was just 1 C in Gen Chem, but I have a lot of B's and not enough A's. I've been trying really hard this quarter to get straight A's and I should be able to make it (did very well on midterms, so I'm really happy about that) I've set up a study strategy so I can do well in my upper division courses.

My main question is, will I be able to pull myself up enough to apply to med school next year, or should I consider a post bac? My EC's so far include working as a CCE with COPE and helping to create a club for commuters on my campus. I was planning either to get into a research lab or work as a scribe, but I'm also going to take the new MCAT next spring so I'm worried that getting a job will negatively impact my studies.
Is there something I can do this summer to help boost my chances?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Calculate your science GPA and post. You may need summer coursework...anything to get it up to at least a 3.5.
A club for commuters might be nice, but if you're concerned about time, you may not be getting the most bang for your buck (application-wise) by doing so. Research experience helps. A great time to do that is during the summer when you can really focus on your project without other distractions, but you may not want to take a class at the same time (or you might...depends on the PI).
Get some non-medical volunteering in. For that, it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you can speak passionately about it.

Calculate your science GPA and post. You may need summer coursework...anything to get it up to at least a 3.5.
A club for commuters might be nice, but if you're concerned about time, you may not be getting the most bang for your buck (application-wise) by doing so. Research experience helps. A great time to do that is during the summer when you can really focus on your project without other distractions, but you may not want to take a class at the same time (or you might...depends on the PI).
Get some non-medical volunteering in. For that, it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you can speak passionately about it.
My science gpa is 3.14. To get my gpa up to 3.5, I'd have to get straight A's on my upper division courses, but I'm willing to put in the work, and I feel like I can pull it off. I was planning to finish up my ochem series this summer and I'm considering taking 1 or 2 humanities courses at my local cc. Thanks I'll look for some non-medical volunteering opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you jumping to post-bac? If you plan for a single gap year, you have all of senior year to add to your GPA :) Good luck! It's way too early to feel down about your chances.

Edit: Yay 1000th post!

Start acing things from now on and you should be OK. But B's just won't cut it if you're bloning for an MD degree.

My science gpa is 3.14. To get my gpa up to 3.5, I'd have to get straight A's on my upper division courses, but I'm willing to put in the work, and I feel like I can pull it off. I was planning to finish up my ochem series this summer and I'm considering taking 1 or 2 humanities courses at my local cc. Thanks I'll look for some non-medical volunteering opportunities.