2nd year's strategy, advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendriticCell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i realized that a lot M3 students just finished taking their step 1 (congrats on that :) )and i saw a lot incoming M1s starting thread for advice of school and classes.. so i think i might start one for the M2.. Any inputs from veterans for how to study 2nd year's classes, what are the excellent books to use for the course (or for the board).. and what are the "must" and "must not".... thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

i would also love to hear some advice, especially from people who had systems curriculum. also any ideas of incorporating board study into the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
we are all either taking our boards right now, finishing up a damn hard rotation [i am] and chilling, or do not have the info you are looking for as of right now-- i just finished my second year but do not have to take my boards till next year, so i am in the same boat as you.

be patient and wait a couple months for the advice you are looking for.

in the meantime, enjoy your summer.

sorry i cannot be of more help.

By the end of your second year, you should have read these books at least once:

First Aid: just go ahead and buy it now

Pathology: Robbin's Basic Pathology 7th edition, BRS Pathology, Robbin's Review of Pathology

Microbiology: the micro section in First Aid, Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, (I can't list a text because I didn't like the one we used)

Pharmacology: the pharm section of First Aid, Lippincott's Pharmacology, (I didn't buy the text for this one because our course syllabus was actually decent)

Behavioral: BRS Behavioral Science, BRS Behavioral Science, BRS Behavioral Science. Who needs a textbook when you have a review book that covers everything you need to know for the shelf and the step, and pretty much the whole course?

Of course, different schools have different courses with different expectations. The books I listed are all review texts and are good for helping you get through your courses, plus prepare for your subject shelf exams and ultimately the step 1. For your own particular school courses, you might need to buy the textbooks required (depending on how the instructors test).

Here's what I used this past year (I'm systems based):

micro Micro Made rediculously simple and Jawetz (Lange) Review of Micro and Immuno.

pharm Katzung and Trevor (Lange) Review of pharm; pharmcards; and big katzung

path Big robbins for pictures; baby robbins for reading; and robbins question book (must do!!)

Also review books I used during the year included BRS path and the Kaplan books from 2000 during each system. While you're going through each system, reread BRS physio chapter, use first aid or step up or both. Do Webpath questions (do a google search for webpath).

Stay on top of your stuff. Also, some of us noticed while studying for boards that pathophys is important and we realized that we didn't really study it much during the year. I used Board Simulator Seriew ?s during each system to solidfy concepts in addition to the questions in the Lange books. Also, doing a search for pharm, path, etc might give you better results on the feedback for each subject. Good luck! :luck: and enjoy your summer!!!

This may have an obvious answer...but are the seven sections on USMLE step 1 the same as the seven sections in First Aid? Anatomy, Behav, Biochem, Path, Micro, etc?

jbish said:
This may have an obvious answer...but are the seven sections on USMLE step 1 the same as the seven sections in First Aid? Anatomy, Behav, Biochem, Path, Micro, etc?

I believe the 7 blocks of 50 ?'s each are randomized to include questions from many disciplines.
I could be wrong though, so someone who has already taken it can correct me!! ;)

Hey y'all, I just wanted to let you know that according to Majors bookstore website, the 7th edition of Robbins is being released in July. (also Harrison's 16th edition is coming out in August, but I've never heard of anyone actually using that for a class text.) So you may want to hold off on buying those until you see if there are any major changes in the new editions.

jbish said:

Nope. There are seven blocks of 50 questions each, and each block is randomized so you can get any kind of question in any order on any subject. The seven sections listed in First Aid are the seven basic sciences that are covered in the first two years of medical education. The actual subject breakdown for the Step 1 as described by the NBME (same entity that produces the USMLEs) consists of Behavioral Science, Biochemistry, Cardiovascular system, Gastrointestinal system, General Principles of Health & Disease, Genetics, Gross Anatomy & Embryology, Hematopoietic & Lymphoreticular systems, Histology & Cell Biology, Microbiology & Immunology, Musculoskeletal & Skin & Connective Tissue, Nervous System/Special Senses, Nutrition, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Renal/Urinary system, Reproductive & Endocrine system, and then Respiratory system.

Samoa said:
Hey y'all, I just wanted to let you know that according to Majors bookstore website, the 7th edition of Robbins is being released in July. (also Harrison's 16th edition is coming out in August, but I've never heard of anyone actually using that for a class text.) So you may want to hold off on buying those until you see if there are any major changes in the new editions.

wait... is it the big robbin or baby robbin.. if it is baby version, then i am dead.. i just bought it from the class above me... damn it.. :eek:

Pathology - BIG Robbins, and absolutely absolutely must do the Q-book!
Micro - Lippincott's Micro (yeah it's a review book but it is EXCELLENT)
Pharm - Big Katzung, Lippincott pharm
Pathophysiology - The mongrel of the subjects, there is no one good book. I
used Harrison's which is excellent, but usually TOO MUCH INFO!!! But it will
save your butt third year when some resident says, "Go look this up for
tomorrow..."
Boards - First Aid all the way! And for Boards time Kaplan Q-bank! (although
my Step 2 way back last year was nothing like it, many of my friends' were
like it, and it's still excellent prep)
Psych - Kaplan and Saddock. Big thick red book. Excellent material. Skip the
biological theory crap.
Bioethics - Ha ha ha ha ha. I never got a text and still high passed this one

Samoa said:
big robbins, I think

Hi,

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble about saving the $$ for MS II, but, I just looked in Elsevier's site and they'll be publishing a review book to the new Robbin's edition in the fall (Nov 2004). It looks like all the dough will be spent just in path :scared:

My question to all those out there is if I can hang on and wait until the new review book will be out by just picking up one of the older robbin's review books in the meantime?

Also, what does anyone think about the Lange pathophysiology book by McPhee?

Thanks in advance...

AF_PedsBoy said:
Psych - Kaplan and Saddock. Big thick red book. Excellent material. Skip the
biological theory crap.
Bioethics - Ha ha ha ha ha. I never got a text and still high passed this one

dude save yourself WEEKS of time and get the BRS BehSci and use it for step 1. I have K&S. Possibly the WORST $100 ive ever spent in my life, sans those hookers in TJ that gave me the clap.

ispic said:
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble about saving the $$ for MS II, but, I just looked in Elsevier's site and they'll be publishing a review book to the new Robbin's edition in the fall (Nov 2004). It looks like all the dough will be spent just in path

which review book?? the BRS or the Q book???

i've bought the BRS already... damn...