1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2ndary Questions that allow you to explain something that is not on Primary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MD021, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MD021

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I'm having difficulty searching for old threads on this topic, so please bear with me if this is an overly redundant question.

How is everyone approaching secondary questions that ask for you to provide additional comments to the admissions committee?

Also, what about the questions that dig even deeper and ask for you to provide additional information that "may be concerning" to the admissions committee.
    - only thing i can think of is quarters where I got below a 3.5 (none being below 3.2 however), but I didn't receive any C's. I want to explain these quarters but I don't want to go on a rant that may annoy adcoms haha.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. colberag

2+ Year Member

Wow, my life would be awesome if the only concerning thing I had was a couple semesters below a 3.5

4. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You shouldn't explain a 3.5 unless you have a real legitimate excuse, which most people don't. Usually you use that space to talk about some kind of activity or experience that you either didn't mention at all or didn't explain fully on the primary. If you have nothing to mention, I wouldn't try and add fluff.

5. MD021

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ^ ahhhh, well i might have some other things that would be considered "concerning" but i just dunno what else there could be besides grades...
    my gpa isn't high, still below the md avg, i just didn't have any major fluctuations...

6. MD021

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks Nick, I understand what you're saying. I'm gonna use that strategy for those "do you wish to include any other comments" questions.

But what about the ones that are like " .Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee." Is it ok to discuss maybe the times I got like a 3.2, 3.3? What else can I put?, I don't really want to give the impression that I don't think adcoms should be any concerned about my application. .

7. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, again, IMO the grades aren't worth mentioning because it's likely you don't have an excuse that will be satisfactory to the committee. If you do, that's one thing. A 3.5, while not perfect, is by no means a deal breaker.

8. MD021

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I gotcha, so should I just not answer the question?