3.0 cGPA, 2.4 sGPA, 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

selfmotivator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After undergraduate I decided to study intensely for the MCAT. I felt my GPA could only get so high and I needed to save money so I decided not to pursue post bacc studies. I'm now worried about my sGPA. However, I believe my extracurricular activities and several years of clinical experience will help. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Will be in a similar situation as you - curious to see replies.

Did you have an upward trend in your GPA? You can try to apply to DO and maybe your MCAT can save you if you get extremely lucky. Definitely don't bother with MD though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools, both MD and DO will filter our your application based on your low GPA. This is done using the computer, so your application won't ever be seen by a person and your MCAT won't help you if you get pre-screened. If you have a few bad grades that's bringing your overall GPA down, I would def retake those classes. I heard DO schools has grade replacement? I wouldn't even bother with MD. DO is your only shot, and I would def recommend shadowing DOs ASAP. Some schools will require a DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you have an upward trend in your GPA? You can try to apply to DO and maybe your MCAT can save you if you get extremely lucky. Definitely don't bother with MD though.
My gpa shows an upward trend. Don't bother with MD even if I do complete post bacc? My sgpa will never be a 3.5

My gpa shows an upward trend. Don't bother with MD even if I do complete post bacc? My sgpa will never be a 3.5
Have you completed your post bacc already? How are you calculating the 3.5 gpa??

Congrats on the good mcat score. DO schools still become a doctor. apply there.

I can't sugar coat this. Zero with those GPAs. All you have done is sown that with adequate study time, you can do well on MCAT. You have yet to demonstrate that you can handle a medical school curriculum.

EDIT: How much of an upward trend????

After undergraduate I decided to study intensely for the MCAT. I felt my GPA could only get so high and I needed to save money so I decided not to pursue post bacc studies. I'm now worried about my sGPA. However, I believe my extracurricular activities and several years of clinical experience will help. What are my chances?

Reactions: 1 user
Grade replacement --> DO

OR

DIY Post Bac --> SMP --> MD (much longer, much higher risk, much more expensive and even after all that you might not get in)

These GPA scores will get you screened out at most places, even most newer DO schools.

I am in a similar/worse situation - 2.66cGPA / 2.54sGPA - 521 MCAT...really have no idea what to do :/ I have tons of volunteer experience (Clinical + Non-clinical), 300+ hours shadowing (MD + DO), a few publications (Trauma, Immunotherapy, Public Health), and have done NK Cell Immunotherapy research for the past 18 months. Currently working as the Biology Lab Coordinator for a university and as a research for UCSF Peds Residency program...

I am in a similar/worse situation - 2.66cGPA / 2.54sGPA - 521 MCAT...really have no idea what to do :/ I have tons of volunteer experience (Clinical + Non-clinical), 300+ hours shadowing (MD + DO), a few publications (Trauma, Immunotherapy, Public Health), and have done NK Cell Immunotherapy research for the past 18 months. Currently working as the Biology Lab Coordinator for a university and as a research for UCSF Peds Residency program...
is it just a few classes that's bringing your GPA down? Go the DO route. they have grade replacement