1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.0 cgpa 4.0 science what do I need for mcat?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rnicholsaz, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rnicholsaz

2+ Year Member

I have a cumulative gpa around 3.0, being dragged down by undergrad from 10 years ago. Graduated in 1998 with around a 2.25 gpa. Returned to school a couple of years ago. Science gpa is 4.0, and I'm taking the mcat in a month. Will end up getting a 2nd bachelors (biology), and should graduate with a 4.0. How strong do my mcat scores have to be to be competitive, and how much will admissions committees take into account my early undergraduate grades since they do not reflect my current performance?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    All admissions committees have their own parameters for considering non-traditional applicants, but as a generalization the fact that your poor grades were earned long ago and the new you has proven to be strong academically will work in your favor. Besides getting several years of an A average, a strong MCAT score will be important to prove you "got it". You'll be competitve with a 36, but I doubt you'll have to perform that well since you're a non-trad. But of course, the closer, the better. When you apply, you must apply broadly, including MD and DO schools in the mix. I'll assume you are well aware of all the other important elements of a good application. If you haven't found SDN's non-trad forum yet, be sure to read Non-Trad Secrets to Application Success: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=321873

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say 35+.

But, you might get some school to take a chance on you with the replacement degree. They might chalk the other one up to youth.