3.0 cGPA and sGPA Student Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eth1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I need a bit of guidance I am going to be a 5 year undergrad student due to making a change a change in major after my sophomore year in college. I switched from Business to Exercise Science with a minor in chem. I started my college course work at a community college as a Business major and did very poorly. I got a F in accelerated precalculus/trigonometry course 2x and I also failed F an Accounting course the second time I retook it over the summer after receiving a C the first time. All in all my community college gpa after 2 years was a 2.6. The only premed course I took there was gen chem in which I got a C. I then transferred to a competitive in-state school. My first year there I did terribly, I got a D in bio C bio lab, C+ physics A physics lab and a 1.99 cum gpa. Next semester I got a C in bio and C+ in bio lab with a B- in Physics and A in physics lab, cum gpa 2.25. The year after that I got very serious with life in general and aced ALL my classes I took Gen Chem 2, Ochem, Micro bio, Anatomy, Ochem 2, anatomy 2, Bio chem over fall and spring and got an A. Fall and spring 4.0. GPA. My MCAT score is a 33. and my total college GPA is a cGpa 3.02 sGpa 3.03. and my 4 year institution gpa is cGPA 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.36. I have 50 hours of shadowing plan on doing more this summer and I have had 1 research position for a semester. I have no volunteering hours yet but will get them this summer as well hopefully in a clinic. Another interesting note is that I made football tryouts at my school and have been with the team for the past year and I was still able to do well in my classes. I have also seen the Acceptance distributions by race which leads me to believe I have some sort of a shot at getting into medical school (African American Student). Should I join this wave of med school apps? Where should I apply?. Post Bacc and Master's degree programs are kind of out of the question due to finances, and I can retake a class from community college this summer. Can I get into a medical school currently without going through senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

Eth1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I need a bit of guidance I am going to be a 5 year undergrad student due to making a change a change in major after my sophomore year in college. I switched from Business to Exercise Science with a minor in chem. I started my college course work at a community college as a Business major and did very poorly. I got a F in accelerated precalculus/trigonometry course 2x and I also failed F an Accounting course the second time I retook it over the summer after receiving a C the first time. All in all my community college gpa after 2 years was a 2.6. The only premed course I took there was gen chem in which I got a C. I then transferred to a competitive in-state school. My first year there I did terribly, I got a D in bio C bio lab, C+ physics A physics lab and a 1.99 cum gpa. Next semester I got a C in bio and C+ in bio lab with a B- in Physics and A in physics lab, cum gpa 2.25. The year after that I got very serious with life in general and aced ALL my classes I took Gen Chem 2, Ochem, Micro bio, Anatomy, Ochem 2, anatomy 2, Bio chem over fall and spring and got an A. Fall and spring 4.0. GPA. My MCAT score is a 33. and my total college GPA is a cGpa 3.02 sGpa 3.03. and my 4 year institution gpa is cGPA 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.36. I have 50 hours of shadowing plan on doing more this summer and I have had 1 research position for a semester. I have no volunteering hours yet but will get them this summer as well hopefully in a clinic. Another interesting note is that I made football tryouts at my school and have been with the team for the past year and I was still able to do well in my classes. I have also seen the Acceptance distributions by race which leads me to believe I have some sort of a shot at getting into medical school (African American Student). Should I join this wave of med school apps? Where should I apply?. Post Bacc and Master's degree programs are kind of out of the question due to finances, and I can retake a class from community college this summer. Can I get into a medical school currently without going through senior year?

Eth1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If continue to do as well my senior year i will graduate with a ~3.1-3.2 Total college gpa and 3.5 just
year institution Gpa, again i dont want to do this because i cant afford a gap year really