This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texashopefuldr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys!

first of all thank you for reading this and helping me out!
I struggled my last two years of high school (dual credit program) and first two years of college so my GPA tanked completely. I have many F's, D's, C's, and 3 W's. (Gen Chem, bio, and Ochem have F's)
I was going through financial problems and trying to work and support my family and my close friend suddenly passed away.
I got myself together for my junior and senior year (now) and will have a 3.9 GPA for the last 70 credits as graduation in May 2018. Total GPA will be 3.0 and science is probably lower
I want to apply to SMP's this fall (UNT or Texas Tech) and then apply for medical schools in the summer of 2018 because I don't want a gap year following SMP.

I am a first generation south asian female with life long financial problems
MCAT (520)
solid volunteer hours in underprivileged communities (2500+ hours cumulated since freshman year with leadership positions)
Scribing for junior and senior year (2500+ hours by graduation)
4-5 solid LOR
1 year of research in college lab
TA this semester for Calc 2

Since I live in Texas I would be applying to all Texas schools and I was really hoping they would look at that upwards trend instead of my whole GPA and see the fact that I would be in a SMP program during the application process.

Any ideas of if I will get any interviews/acceptances? Not picky on MD/DO but would obviously love an MD acceptance and really don't want a gap year :(

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive some interviews from your Texas MD schools due to your high MCAT. The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are 40%. However, I recommend also applying to at least 10 DO schools and include TCOM and UIWSOM in Texas. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Include some of these DO schools such as:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a very strong upward trend and high MCAT; this should net you some interviews from Texas schools. I don't know if they will autoscreen you at all for the sub-3.0 sGPA.