This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road_to_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred to an Ivy League University with a 4.0 GPA from my CC, and will be graduating in May with a 3.0 GPA from my University (does not include grades from CC, only credits). I attribute my decline in grades to emotional issues that I encountered when I moved to attend University. I have yet to take the MCAT (will be doing so January '18) and will be taking 2 gap years while I work. I'm a non-traditional 27yr old student if that makes a difference at all. I would like to know:

1) How medical schools/AMCAS would look at my GPA. Would they combine my GPA ((4.0 + 3.0)/2 = 3.5) or would only my GPA from University count? If combined, do I still have a chance with a 3.5 GPA?

2) I have 2 C's on my transcript, I can't imagine that this would not affect my chances at getting into medical school. Do I still have a chance?

I'm passionate about medical school, and I can't see myself doing anything else. I feel with everything in my being that this is what I am meant to do, but I am second guessing everything because of my downward trend in grades once I transferred. Your honest opinions are appreciated, please let me know what my chances are!

Community College pre-med courses:
General Biology 1 and 2 w/ labs: A
General Chemistry 1 and 2 w/ labs: A
Physics 1 w/ lab: A

University pre-med courses:
Physics 2 w/ lab: B
Organic Chemistry 1: B+
Organic Chemistry 2: B-
Biochemistry: C+
A&P: C

MCAT: TBA

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS asks for all transcripts to calculate your GPA. Your chances are dependent on an MCAT score, so come back then. Assuming you have average EC's, maybe some research, shadowing, and 510+ MCAT you should be in good shape.