3.0 GPA, Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinctilius_varus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you still taking courses? If so your sGPA will likely be above 3.0 by the time you apply next summer. Much also depends on your MCAT. Post your score here when available and we can give you a list of schools to apply to. With a MCAT of 505 or higher you will be competitive for some of the newer DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I attended university straight out of high school and dropped out after 3 semesters with cGPA 0.36, sGPA 0.67 (yes, you read that right) due to depression, adjustment and personal issues. Pretty much skipped and failed most of the classes. ~30 credits

Following that debacle I worked part-time for less than a year before enlisting in the military. I trained and deployed as a special operations combat medic. I did everything from tube thoracostomies to STI counseling, on both civilian hospital rotations (various departments) and in military settings. Civilian certifications included NREMT-P, ACLS, etc. (though most are expired by now). I also took courses at a local university while still on active duty, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 4.0 at this institution only. ~20 credits

After more than 4 years of active duty I separated IOT complete undergrad at a top U.S. university, where I'm currently pursuing a STEM major. Grades at this institution: cGPA 3.9, sGPA 3.8. ~90 credits
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS cGPA 3.05, sGPA 2.98. Based on AMCASyears there is a very strong upward trend (Freshman--Sophomore--Junior--Senior): cGPA 1.35--2.61--3.00--3.05; sGPA 1.30--2.69--2.85--2.98. But I still end up barely attaining a 3.0, which is the number that keeps getting thrown around for auto-rejection cutoffs as I'm researching.
  2. MCAT summer 2018 test date
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship USA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian, male
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) see above
  6. Research experience and productivity volunteer clinical research and basic science research, chance with latter to be published within remaining undergrad time.
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented family, emergency, pediatrics, OBGYN, internal medicine, surgery (trauma/ortho/general) + anesthesiology, infectious disease, GE, ENT, cardiology, urology, radiology.
Assuming strong performance on remaining undergrad academics and the MCAT, how likely is a "diamond in the rough" situation where my app gets pulled from the auto-rejection pile? I assume it depends a lot on where I choose to apply (?). Or do mistakes made 8 years ago mean I should consider redirecting my time and money into preparing other career possibilities.

Thanks
Many thanks for your service to our country. I love the screen name! I'm probably one of the very few who knows who that was.
Read this:
Goro's Advice for DO Applicants in Absence of Grade Replacement (2016-17 cycle)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think his killer ECs - a Special Forces combat medic - paired with a stellar (517+) MCAT could get him into MD schools? I've read that lots of schools love strong upward trends and military veterans.