SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

3.0 GPA Was A nursing major! Now changed to B.A

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JClass413, Apr 14, 2007.

1. JClass413

JClass413 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I am wondering with 2 years of school to go if it is possible to boost it up to a 3.5 atleast any thought?? I wasn't trying in school the last 3 years and still managed a 3.0 I think I can get a whole lot better when I try next year and this summer? Any thoughts

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Anka

Anka Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Sure it's possible -- just calculate out how many courses you need to take to boost your GPA to the desired level. The biggest 'problem', and it might not really be a problem for you, is that you'll have a lot less give in getting the occasional B than you would if you were starting out with a clean slate as a freshman. Do you have any ideas why you might have gotten a 3.0 in your first couple of years? [no need to answer on a public forum, but it's important you know so that you can adjust your strategy as necessary].

Best of luck!

Anka

4. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    Well, first off, do the math obviously. If you finished 4 years with 3.0, it will take you 4 years to boost the cumulative to 3.5. But of course schools will pay more attention to your recent GPA, so even 2 more years with 3.75+ will make a huge difference even though they won't take your cumulative through the roof.

5. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin 10+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Washington
    If you get a 4.0 for the next 2 years and take the same number of credits as you already have, then you get a 3.5.

If you get a 3.7 then you get a 3.35 cumulative.

6. JClass413

JClass413 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Honestly I wanted to become an MD about a month ago and before I was just a nursing major the requirment was to keep a 2.7 GPA so I did just enough to graduate I never thought of attending med school untill now! so I think wheh med schools get my transfers and they see a sig. improvement I think i will have a good shot

7. searun

searun 5+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Did the angel of God come to you in a dream one month ago and tell you to become an MD?

8. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin 10+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Washington
    my friend's ex-GF had a dream where God told her to break up with him. She actually did it and told him about the dream. I mean how do you keep a straight face when someone tells you that?

9. Carmenita79

Carmenita79 Senior Member 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2006
    Maybe they will understand, but bear in mind most schools get ~35 applicants for every spot. Chances are that one of the others did more than "just enough to graduate" while they were undergrads. Also, its not like nursing major is the same as, say, engineering or biochemistry, so it might be a tough road.

10. Not sure whether to :rolleyes: or :laugh: ...

11. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    the angel of god told me to use this emoticon: :laugh:

12. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    USA
    Here is a spreadsheet that I made that will make the GPA calculations much easier, and it's designed for the AMCAS...

13. searun

searun 5+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Well, I would just say this: The angel of God has alot of influence with Ad Com comittees. So if the angel of God comes to you in a dream and tells you to become an MD, then getting admitted to med school will not be a problem.

14. Anka

Anka Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2003
    A lot of people change careers part way through. My guess is, she'll have a great answer for "why don't you want to be a nurse?" [which you guys are all likely to be asked at least once on the interview trail when you try to say you want to be a doctor 'to help people'] She's already going to take a lot of BS from her fellow nurses for deciding to do this (at least, in my N=3 experience of nursing students or nurses who have decided to change to MD). So I'd lay off.

The reasons people have told me for switching include (1) I'm sick of the near sorority atmosphere at my school (2) I want more responsiblity for my patients (3) I don't want to be taking orders for the rest of my life (4) You know, I really liked science, and prefer the medical model to the nursing model... it's really unnatural to me to keep going back to the nursing model. Never heard of anyone using the angel of god excuse... in fact, it is non-RNs who tend to be the strongest advocates of the "medicine is a calling" or "I knew I wanted to be a doctor when I layed eyes on the obstetrician who delivered me" school of thought.

Anka

15. JClass413

JClass413 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I was never a "nurse" i was a nursing student in his junior year who next year will be a BA major. So no nurses hate me just my fellow nursing students.

16. JClass413

JClass413 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Starting next semester I will be a Liberal Arts major, I will no longer be a nursing major plus I have 2 year well like 62 credits to take I am confident of all my abilities to get a 4.0! Plus my science gpa now is at a 3.2 with 20 credits not including my premed requirments which i will take the next two years to complete. i'm sure when I am done my overall GPA will stand at a 3.4 with a science GPA of 3.7!