3.0 sci gpa, 3.3 overall URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3.0 sci gpa, 3.3 overall
No MCAT
URM
College Athlete
Top 25 University
Summer program
1 year of Research
Continuous volunteering
Shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Southern state of residency. I'll say Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or Arkansas. My community? Do you mean my specific race? A mix of minorities. I haven't really thought about a list of schools, so I was wondering if you could recommend some. My stats are on the lower side, but I feel like I have a good shot at many places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which community do you represent?
The boost (if present) is from your community, not race, necessarily.
Depending on the under-represented community, our advice will vary regarding schools.
The MSAR is a good place to start making a list.

The states you listed have very different success rates for IS applicants.
For example, FL matriculates 22.6% of her IS applicants while AL is twice that at 46.9%!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Economically disadvantaged. Single parent household. I represent the minority community. I understand what you're saying, you're asking like what sort of area I grew up in. I grew up in a relatively well off area where my mother and I struggled. Clear enough? She didn't make much money.

My state isn't Florida. It's one of the other 3.

Which minority group, not neighborhood. Not all Latinos are URM, for example.

Do you have evidence of service to the underprivileged? Even for a URM, your stats are dangerously low. Med schools aren't doing you any favors by admitting you if you can't handle a med school curriculum.

Economically disadvantaged. Single parent household. I represent the minority community. I understand what you're saying, you're asking like what sort of area I grew up in. I grew up in a relatively well off area where my mother and I struggled. Clear enough? She didn't make much money.

I'm black. Yes I help out in my community in a variety of ways through athletics.

"Ability to answer simple questions" is not listed as a competency as most med schools, but I still think you need it.

Reactions: 8 users
According to AAMC Table 25, you have ~70% chance of an acceptance to an MD school. You should apply to all of your state schools, all historically black medical schools, and then a careful list of out of state schools that take out of state applicants in decent numbers and have an average MCAT of 30-32. Your best chances will be at the state schools and the historically black schools, but you should probably apply to at least 20 total to be safe.

Why is your title listed as 3.3/3.0 but in your post you say 3.1/2.7. It's a huge difference. I think your fine with the former with a solid list. The latter and even for a URM a 2.7 science GPA is a pretty big red flag.

Why the cloak and dagger routine? We can't help you without your state of residence.
And we can't do the work for you. Come up with a list of schools where you want to apply an your stats (3.0, 3.3 vs 2.7, 3.1?) we can help you narrow down, add schools, etc. thats how this works.

Edit: you also said you're a mix of races- it's cool if it's black/white. If it's black and another, did you do anything with that culture as well? Just good topics to bring up in PS/secondaries

Ha...I'm sorry for the cloak and dagger. I suppose I'll shed all the cloaks and keep the daggers.

I really just wanted to create a random profile and see what everyone deemed as competitive. But I'll give you my numbers.

3.1 overall. 2.8 science gpa. Not great and no excuses, but my school does plus/minus system.

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but aiming for the equivalent of a 35.

Chemistry major. State of residence is GA. Again collegiate athlete. Research. Volunteering. Summer program.

Ethnicity: Black/Native American. I know which tribe but haven't been super involved with my Native roots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Score well on the MCAT and I bet you'll be good for state school in GA.

Ha...I'm sorry for the cloak and dagger. I suppose I'll shed all the cloaks and keep the daggers.

I really just wanted to create a random profile and see what everyone deemed as competitive. But I'll give you my numbers.

3.1 overall. 2.8 science gpa. Not great and no excuses, but my school does plus/minus system.

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but aiming for the equivalent of a 35.

Chemistry major. State of residence is GA. Again collegiate athlete. Research. Volunteering. Summer program.

Ethnicity: Black/Native American. I know which tribe but haven't been super involved with my Native roots.

As an athlete you should know better. Potential and hopes to "aim for the equivalent of a 35" means jack s@#$ until it happens.

You also still haven't provided a list of schools you'd be interested in after being asked. No point helping someone that isn't helping themselves.

Your GPA alone is close to lethal for MD unless you ace the MCAT, even as a URM. Have you considered both MD and DO?

Why is your title listed as 3.3/3.0 but in your post you say 3.1/2.7. It's a huge difference. I think your fine with the former with a solid list. The latter and even for a URM a 2.7 science GPA is a pretty big red flag.

I'm confused with this too.... it's pretty basic to get your numbers straight.

Have you ever been an athlete? Apparently not, because you don't know the meaning of aim high or shoot for the stars.

I've been around the equivalent of a 35 on my practice MCAT's and although that's not the end all, it's what I'm shooting for.

I changed the original info in the text. I wasn't able to change the heading. I can change it back if it makes you feel better. But those are my stats above.

I'm considering low tear MD's and HBCU's. No DO's. All Georgia schools obviously.

Come back when you have an MCAT; we can't advise without one. I also suggest you take some more science classes and get A's to improve your sGPA as it is pretty borderline.

Keep up the volunteering/shadowing, that's good.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you ever been an athlete? Apparently not, because you don't know the meaning of aim high or shoot for the stars.

I've been around the equivalent of a 35 on my practice MCAT's and although that's not the end all, it's what I'm shooting for.

I changed the original info in the text. I wasn't able to change the heading. I can change it back if it makes you feel better. But those are my stats above.

I'm considering low tear MD's and HBCU's. No DO's. All Georgia schools obviously

Boost your sGPA to 3.2 with couple science classes , score what is equivalent to 26-28, then apply EDP to Morehouse.

Aiming high is great .... but that alone doesn't mean anything until you demonstrate that you actually did do it. It's like wishing you can win a championship or think you can.... until you do, those are empty words.

An athlete understand that as optimal as one would like practice conditions, sometimes things don't work out or there may be unforeseen contexts that affect one's concentration/abilities. It's nice that your practices are going well, but again.... it doesn't really mean that much until you reach the big day.

I respect that you want to aim high (as many people do) ... until you get the MCAT score though I'm not gonna hold my breath for it.

I have played professional sports before (though badminton isn't as mainstream as many other sports popular in North America). Even if I had zero experience as a competitive athlete I know that potential alone isn't enough to succeed. Based on your other objective stats your probability of success could use some improvement... if you want to keep arguing that's your prerogative.

I understand. When practice is going well, you expect to come up with a big performance though. I understand what you're saying.

I am trying to raise my science GPA to a 3.0. I don't think a 3.2 can happen as I'm going to be a senior and have taken a lot of science classes already. Will return when I have an MCAT score.

You could get into Harvard with an excellent score- say, 517+, I would think. If you totally bomb it, on the other hand, you could end up getting rejected from Howard. This is the most important exam of your life- train hard and use methods with a proven track record of success. What is your strategy and when is your exam?

howard, meharry, Charles Drew/UCLA might work

You could get into Harvard with an excellent score- say, 517+, I would think. If you totally bomb it, on the other hand, you could end up getting rejected from Howard. This is the most important exam of your life- train hard and use methods with a proven track record of success. What is your strategy and when is your exam?

Ha no pressure. Kaplan.

I don't think 517 (equivalent to a 35) would get anyone into Harvard with a ~3.0. Anything below 3.7 is below their 10th percentile. Maybe if they were an Olympic athlete or had some other spectacular story/adversity.

Last edited:

I'm considering low tear MD's and HBCU's. No DO's. All Georgia schools obviously.
Why no DO schools? It may be your only option pending your MCAT. With a good MCAT you could have a solid chance at HBCU and some low/mid tiers. Of course, all hypothetical at this point.

Last edited:
That's not the point of the post.... his hyperbole is that the MCAT is by far his greatest determinant as it's the biggest ? so far.
I understood the point of it, I was only clarifying that it was unlikely.

Last edited: