3.0 UG, LOTS of experience, MCAT June 2: SHould i just start an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hena65

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated UG w/ a 3.0 GPA & will be taking the MCAT 06/02/16.

I have 2 years experience working in a world reknown alzheimer's diagnostic and research center as a program coordinator that includes caregiver/patient education and being responsible for 2 state funded grants that provide respite services to caregivers whom I outreach through my clinic. I also do neuropsych memory testing on patients in english, portuguese, and spanish; provide gerontological counseling; and recruit patients for research studies. Previous work experience is as a victim's advocate in a domestic violence shelter (1yr)

I have shadowing exp. w ER physician (50hrs) & family practice medicine (40 hours) as well as significant medical/research exposure in the diagnostic and research center. I participated in Collegiate Health Service Corps helping with a smoking cessation project, and shadowed in a pediatric cystic fibrosis center for 24 hours.

I have been on 2 mission trips; 1 to teach in India and 1 very medical to Nicaragua. I also have volunteered in several projects such as feeding homeless women, spending time at a home for teen girls with babies, as well as ER volunteering.

Will my admission be mostly based on how high my MCAT score is? OR should I apply directly to an SMP because there is just no competitiveness with just the undergrad GPA no matter what the MCAT score? does this make sense? Thank you!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very tough for MD schools with a 3.0. Your ECs are average and will not bandage the 3.0. I could perhaps see a very slim possibility if you aced the MCAT but you probably should do an SMP.

Very tough for MD schools with a 3.0. Your ECs are average and will not bandage the 3.0. I could perhaps see a very slim possibility if you aced the MCAT but you probably should do an SMP.

That's pretty much what I was thinking... Thanks again!

Your GPA is lethal for MD schools and barely on life support for DO. You'd be auto reject at mine.

So yes, go for the SMP.

The mission trips will be viewed as "medical tourism" by Adcom members.

I graduated UG w/ a 3.0 GPA & will be taking the MCAT 06/02/16.

I have 2 years experience working in a world reknown alzheimer's diagnostic and research center as a program coordinator that includes caregiver/patient education and being responsible for 2 state funded grants that provide respite services to caregivers whom I outreach through my clinic. I also do neuropsych memory testing on patients in english, portuguese, and spanish; provide gerontological counseling; and recruit patients for research studies. Previous work experience is as a victim's advocate in a domestic violence shelter (1yr)

I have shadowing exp. w ER physician (50hrs) & family practice medicine (40 hours) as well as significant medical/research exposure in the diagnostic and research center. I participated in Collegiate Health Service Corps helping with a smoking cessation project, and shadowed in a pediatric cystic fibrosis center for 24 hours.

I have been on 2 mission trips; 1 to teach in India and 1 very medical to Nicaragua. I also have volunteered in several projects such as feeding homeless women, spending time at a home for teen girls with babies, as well as ER volunteering.

Will my admission be mostly based on how high my MCAT score is? OR should I apply directly to an SMP because there is just no competitiveness with just the undergrad GPA no matter what the MCAT score? does this make sense? Thank you!!!!!!