3.01 Undergrad GPA/3.32 Grad GPA/ 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wakeforestkid12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I'll just start with my stats and go from there!
White male. First generation college student. Current Florida resident (But this is a recent change, as I had lived in North Carolina for the rest of my life). I grew up in a rural environment and consider myself to be socially and economically disadvantaged.
Attended Wake Forest University for undergrad- majored in Chemistry, minored in Biology and obtained a 3.01 GPA. While in undergrad I volunteered at the hospital, worked three jobs, and was heavily involved in extracurricular activities (service fraternity, and at least 8 other groups each year).
Attended University of South Florida for a Masters in Medical Science. This program was essentially your first two years of medical school courses. I obtained a 3.32 GPA, while working over 30 hours at my part-time job.
MCAT Score of 30 (9-verbal, 10-physical, 11-biological) --increased this from my past attempt of 27 where I obtained a 9 in all three sections.
Throughout undergrad and grad school I have volunteered at the hospital, shadowed physicians, traveled on medical missions trips and recently acquired a second job as a Medical Scribe in the Emergency Department. I have been involved in clinical settings since the age of 14 when I initially started volunteering at the hospital, and have known since then that I wanted to be a physician.
I've worked hard to get to where I'm at, have experienced some issues along the way (three jobs, time management skills, and a brief double majored severely hurt my first two years of undergrad, but my last two were solid, averaging 23 hours of courses a semester in addition to my three jobs and ECs.) I am ok with a DO program, but would rather enroll in an MD.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I presume you have not applied this cycle.
Your gpa is too low to use the AAMC graph on the sticky above.
Given that the AAMC recommends averaging multiple MCAT scores, you are looking at <20% chance at admission.

You might want to look into AACOMAS grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you'll be competitive for MD programs; you should have aced your post-bac work. A 30 MCAT is a tad below avg too.

You'll be fine for any DO program, so get cracking.

Hi there. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I'll just start with my stats and go from there!
White male. First generation college student. Current Florida resident (But this is a recent change, as I had lived in North Carolina for the rest of my life). I grew up in a rural environment and consider myself to be socially and economically disadvantaged.
Attended Wake Forest University for undergrad- majored in Chemistry, minored in Biology and obtained a 3.01 GPA. While in undergrad I volunteered at the hospital, worked three jobs, and was heavily involved in extracurricular activities (service fraternity, and at least 8 other groups each year).
Attended University of South Florida for a Masters in Medical Science. This program was essentially your first two years of medical school courses. I obtained a 3.32 GPA, while working over 30 hours at my part-time job.
MCAT Score of 30 (9-verbal, 10-physical, 11-biological) --increased this from my past attempt of 27 where I obtained a 9 in all three sections.
Throughout undergrad and grad school I have volunteered at the hospital, shadowed physicians, traveled on medical missions trips and recently acquired a second job as a Medical Scribe in the Emergency Department. I have been involved in clinical settings since the age of 14 when I initially started volunteering at the hospital, and have known since then that I wanted to be a physician.
I've worked hard to get to where I'm at, have experienced some issues along the way (three jobs, time management skills, and a brief double majored severely hurt my first two years of undergrad, but my last two were solid, averaging 23 hours of courses a semester in addition to my three jobs and ECs.) I am ok with a DO program, but would rather enroll in an MD.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Reactions: 2 users