3.05 cGPA 3.9sGPA, 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinnesmiko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my case may be a little unusual - I hardly took any science undergrad. Almost all of my science GPA stems from postbacc courses. My cGPA is 3.05 and my sGPA is right about a 3.9. I got a 514 on the MCAT - I am considering retaking it to get a higher score to offset my cGPA. I have a strong upward trend even in undergrad - bad first year and a half.

I have 500+ hours of clinical volunteering in hospitals and as a volunteer EMT. I have 100+ hours shadowing. 400+ hours as a research assistant for a major hospital. Around 500+ hours of non-clinical volunteering too.

I'm wondering if it's worth applying with my cGPA being what it is. I calculated that if I delay my app for a year I can bring my cGPA up to a 3.25 - not much of a dent but closer in line with the averages and hopefully won't get auto-screened.

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 34% chance for a MD acceptance with your current stats. If you increase your GPA to 3.25 it goes up to 47%. You do not need to retake the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 34% chance for a MD acceptance with your current stats. If you increase your GPA to 3.25 it goes up to 47%. You do not need to retake the MCAT!

What exactly do these percentages mean? That you have a 34% chance to be accepted if you apply broadly to the correct (reaches) MD schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! @Goro do you think it's pointless applying this year? If I take classes Spring quarter I think I can raise my cGPA to a 3.1 or at most a 3.15. Or does it make the most sense to wait another year and try to get my cGPA to around a 3.25 - 3.3? I am in California which probably makes things a bit more difficult.