3.1 cGPA & 3.0sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandwich092

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a pretty low GPA compared to the average applicant. I have a 3.1 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. Freshman year killed me, I had just lost my father to cancer and college was my first time being away from home; I was in a really dark place. However, since then I have improved.
Freshman Year: cGPA 2.34, sGPA 2.39
Soph. Year: GPA for Soph. year was 3.20; my cGPA became 2.81, sGPA became 2.75.
Jr. Year: GPA for Jr. year was 3.57; cGPA became 3.10, sGPA became 3.0.
Granted, if I do well Sr. year those numbers will go up slightly.
I have 200+ hours of shadowing, and around 70 hours of volunteering.
I have been published once and have been doing cancer-biology research for the past 2 years, which I hope to continue until I graduate.
Obviously my pre-health advisor encouraged me not to apply this cycle but other than that, he's been pretty useless. I plan on studying heavily for the MCAT this summer & during fall semester of next year & taking it over winter break.
However, I'm unsure what I should do in my gap year but I'm leaning towards SMP/post-bacc. If anyone can give me insight or advice on how to proceed from my current position it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, which SMPs would be best for someone in my position?
Overall, I'm trying to get a feeling about where I stand and where I should go from here. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should do? If I do well in an SMP/post-bacc what are my chances of gaining acceptance to an MD school? DO? Is SMP the right option or is there something else I should do?
Thank you in advance to everyone who answers.

Members don't see this ad.

If you increase your sGPA to 3.2 by the end of your senior you could have a chance at some DO schools if your MCAT is above 500. Whether or not you need to do a post-bacc partly depends on your final senior GPA and your MCAT score.