3.1 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 28Q MCAT, CA resident. What are my chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syialb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to AACOMAS, I have 3.1cGPA, 3.1sGPA. I have a 28Q MCAT. I'm a CA resident and went to a UC for school.

ECs:

-Hot Meal Kitchen Volunteering, currently doing (~10 hours)
-Hospital ER Volunteering (~130 hours)
-Volunteer Tutor, OChem + GenChem (~120 hours)
-Clinical Rehabilitation Institute Volunteer in India (~50 hours)
-Research, Psychology dept. + Nutrition dept. (~80 hours over 2 quarters)
-Shadowing MD and DO (~100 hours)

The above are my GPAs after some retakes; my undergrad. GPA was much lower. I spent the past year retaking the entire General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry series at a CC and pulled a 4.0 (20 units). Also, this MCAT score was from my second time taking it--the first time was an embarassing number in the very low 20s.

I submitted my AACOMAS primary on 6/18, and just got verified today. What are my chances? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna lie, it isn't looking pretty. The cGPA is a standard deviation out of the typical Asian applicant. The sGPA is nowhere near the caliber for the top schools. The 28 is actually really good as well as the EC. If you apply broadly, it can happen.

Thank you for the honest feedback Triage! Yeah I agree that my GPAs are my biggest weaknesses, and I'm definitely applying broadly and hoping for the best.

Anyone else want to offer some constructive criticism? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id say, while you're not a shoe in anywhere, you have a decent shot at newer and lower stat DO schools.

My advice would be apply wisely, to the schools with lower stats, but continue to take classes and update your GPA as you go.

Id say, while you're not a shoe in anywhere, you have a decent shot at newer and lower stat DO schools.

My advice would be apply wisely, to the schools with lower stats, but continue to take classes and update your GPA as you go.

Thanks for your input HalfListic. I haven't designated that I plan to take any more classes, but I think it's something I'll have to consider for Fall semester. I'm going to apply to as many schools and complete as many secondaries I can without driving myself insane haha.

Thanks for your input HalfListic. I haven't designated that I plan to take any more classes, but I think it's something I'll have to consider for Fall semester. I'm going to apply to as many schools and complete as many secondaries I can without driving myself insane haha.

I think you misunderstood me a little...when I say continue to take classes, I mean, in order for you to be competitive anywhere, you will need to continue taking classes. Its up to you, but I would step beyond considering taking classes this fall and register for them. You need a higher GPA.

Even if you chance into an interview, others with similar stats will be taking classes and updating their schools with their new grades. I don't think you have a chance without taking more classes.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I think you misunderstood me a little...when I say continue to take classes, I mean, in order for you to be competitive anywhere, you will need to continue taking classes. Its up to you, but I would step beyond considering taking classes this fall and register for them. You need a higher GPA.

Even if you chance into an interview, others with similar stats will be taking classes and updating their schools with their new grades. I don't think you have a chance without taking more classes.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Got it. Yeah, as much as I was hoping I was done with classes, I think I will definitely need to take more to keep myself in consideration. Now I just gotta decide what I'm going to take. Thanks for the feedback.

Got it. Yeah, as much as I was hoping I was done with classes, I think I will definitely need to take more to keep myself in consideration. Now I just gotta decide what I'm going to take. Thanks for the feedback.

haha, I know the feeling...I had some pretty serious GPA repair to do myself.

On the flip side, think of the advantage you'll have over people who only take the class once... ;)

I think you have a shot...Apply and see what happen.

You are FINE. So quit fussing and start applying!

Our ECs are different, but we're similar on the big numbers (~3.1 across the board, 27O MCAT).

Just wanted to say good luck! I was mostly told in my thread that I had an outside shot and should get some interviews, and to apply widely. I figured the same thing so I'm glad I'm on the same page with SDNers.

Temperature101 and user3, thanks for your responses.

coolingglasses, I just went to check your thread and realized that I actually already saw it before haha. Thanks for adding your input. Good luck to you as well! Your ECs seem to be stronger than mine, hopefully everything goes well. Also, you should consider adding yourself to the Underdog thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=910661

Temperature101 and user3, thanks for your responses.

coolingglasses, I just went to check your thread and realized that I actually already saw it before haha. Thanks for adding your input. Good luck to you as well! Your ECs seem to be stronger than mine, hopefully everything goes well. Also, you should consider adding yourself to the Underdog thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=910661

I'm in!