3.1 cummulative, 2.9 science GPA from "name school"=NYU acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tina324

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for contributing to SDN. This is such a great resource. You guys are a great support. With that said I would greatly appreciate your advice:( I reallllly want to attend NYU.

Stats:
"big name school"
cummulative GPA=3.09
science GPA=2.89
....low science GPA because C in bioI fresh yr and C+ in gen chemI soph. yr
I just finished my junior year and am a bio major and have gotten B's in all of my upper bio classes ( and 1 A-:)) and pre-reqs.

I have a lot of meaningful extracurriculars, volunteer at a dental clinic, and won a hugeee grant to do a dental awareness project oversees this summer that I am very excited about.

I will take my DATs when I come back in mid-August and am studying my butt off! My recs are good and I am almost done with my essay, which I will not submit until its the best thing I've ever written! I will e-submit in mid-June once my transcripts are in.

What do u guys think? Should I ever try applying this cycle?:oops:.
Thanks so much everyone. PM me if you like.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for contributing to SDN. This is such a great resource. You guys are a great support. With that said I would greatly appreciate your advice:( I reallllly want to attend NYU.

Stats:
"big name school"
cummulative GPA=3.09
science GPA=2.89
I just finished my junior year and am a bio major and have gotten B's in all of my upper bio classes ( and 1 A-:)) and pre-reqs.

I have a lot of meaningful extracurriculars, volunteer at a dental clinic, and won a hugeee grant to do a dental awareness project oversees this summer that I am very excited about.

I will take my DATs when I come back in mid-August and am studying my butt off! My recs are good and I am almost done with my essay, which I will not submit until its the best thing I've ever written! I will e-submit in mid-June once my transcripts are in.

Last cycle, NYU "recommends" that the applicant has at least 3.2 overall GPA or above. I don't know how strictly they enforce this or if such recommendation still applies this cycle.

Finishing your DATs in mid-August will put you at a disadvantage. With your stats, even with the "big name school", you need to submit soon so that you can be in some of the first groups reviewed - the longer you wait the more competition you're up against. A school must have everything - AADSAS app, money, DATs, supplementals, etc before they will even begin to review you.

Also, it sounds like you've fallen in love with NYU, but with your stats, you'll probably need to apply to a broad range of schools. You never know, you might decided you like a school you interview at more than NYU. Keep an open mind about it and good luck applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last cycle, NYU "recommends" that the applicant has at least 3.2 overall GPA or above. I don't know how strictly they enforce this or if such recommendation still applies this cycle.

I applied with 2.99 GPA, 25AA, two generations of NYU Dental grads ahead of me (Dad and Grandfather) and didn't even get an interview. So, maybe they do enforce that requirement :p

It's also worthy to note, before applying I practically had my bags packed for NYU, thinking because of my family history and stats that would be the only school that would accept me, and that I was sure to get in there. I guess you should never count your chickens when all your eggs are in one basket or something like that.

Hi Everyone,

Stats:
"big name school"
cummulative GPA=3.09
science GPA=2.89

If it's your top choice, then apply and don't look back. There's usually some grade forgiveness for top tier schools. It's just not as easy.

I would definately give it a shot. But know its not automatic. Good luck. Sometimes the "name school" doesn't make much of a difference.

Unfortunately it is all about numbers. Regardless of which school you went to your GPA needs to be boosted. Make contingency plans in case you don't get in. Apply for special masters program or continue taking courses as a post bacc. Even somebody from Harvard with those numbers would be considered a marginal candidate. Big name school may be a factor if your numbers were slightly off of average (as in around .2 off). Don't assume that the name of the school will give you any preferential treatment they may do that if you had the numbers. I would give it a shot but be aware that you probably need to take remedial action. As soon as you apply assume that you didn't get in and go from there. It will not hurt you as bad if you set those expectations and rejection letters begin coming in, you were expecting them anyway. Anything beside a rejection I would consider a bonus.

I applied with 2.99 GPA, 25AA, two generations of NYU Dental grads ahead of me (Dad and Grandfather) and didn't even get an interview. So, maybe they do enforce that requirement :p

wow damn lol

i would suggest you to apply but have a back up plan ready. very likely your file will get filter out because of below recommend GPA or DAT, but it is ok to try.

Supraman's formula is pretty good so for you it seems like aiming for a 22 on your DAT will really give u a good chance of getting accepted. I actually know of one person with a 3.1 cum and 2.9 sci - 21DAT get into NYU this year. So good luck!

Unfortunately it is all about numbers. Regardless of which school you went to your GPA needs to be boosted. Make contingency plans in case you don't get in. Apply for special masters program or continue taking courses as a post bacc. Even somebody from Harvard with those numbers would be considered a marginal candidate. Big name school may be a factor if your numbers were slightly off of average (as in around .2 off). Don't assume that the name of the school will give you any preferential treatment they may do that if you had the numbers. I would give it a shot but be aware that you probably need to take remedial action. As soon as you apply assume that you didn't get in and go from there. It will not hurt you as bad if you set those expectations and rejection letters begin coming in, you were expecting them anyway. Anything beside a rejection I would consider a bonus.

Sadly, blankguy is right. But I think he is even being a little easy on you.
I think it isn't even 0.2 off but less. First of all, a lot of those big-name schools give outs A's like candy. They don't even need to try to get a 3.8.
Second, schools care about numbers like everyone else would say. If they would only accept big-name schools, there stats would drop and so would their "rank."
Which school is it? Is it in Cali?
GOOD LUCK

Sadly, blankguy is right. But I think he is even being a little easy on you.
I think it isn't even 0.2 off but less. First of all, a lot of those big-name schools give outs A's like candy. They don't even need to try to get a 3.8.
Second, schools care about numbers like everyone else would say. If they would only accept big-name schools, there stats would drop and so would their "rank."
Which school is it? Is it in Cali?
GOOD LUCK

That;s why there is the DAT. It weeds out easy A's from the hard A's. A 3.8 with DAT of 17 looks like easy A's the same GPA with 19 or 20 comes across as harder A's.

while having the largest class size of all dental schools, it also recieves the most applications. Sure you will probably get an interview, but just look at some of the stats of the people rejected and waitlisted. There is no guarantee to any dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your feedback...I realllly appreciate it. Keep it coming!! I really want to hear more about the success stories such as the one from Kleenex.

yea my school def does not give out easy A's..All of my B's are hard earned, I have to say....hopefully my DAT will show this!

That;s why there is the DAT. It weeds out easy A's from the hard A's. A 3.8 with DAT of 17 looks like easy A's the same GPA with 19 or 20 comes across as harder A's.

Ya, but still numbers mean a lot and a high gpa, low DAT is almost as good as a low gpa, high dat. Even if the latter is much smarter but goes to a tough school.

I'm guessing it's either Columbia or NYU because OP "really" wants to go to NYU which is in NY.

The OP doesn't want to say...

Sorry lol, but the OP doesn't LIVE on SDN...
WIth all due respect, I really don't want to put myself on blast on SDN and therefore don't want to reveal what college I attend (if you're THAT curious..which I don't know how it makes a difference, PM me?). But there really isn't grade inflation, at least in the bio classes.

Keep the comments coming, I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Ya, but still numbers mean a lot and a high gpa, low DAT is almost as good as a low gpa, high dat. Even if the latter is much smarter but goes to a tough school.

The OP doesn't want to say...

You could have a big raging debate over this and get nowhere. It all depends on how each school and admission staffer reads the application. You could have a strong DAT/GPA but the overall package just doesn't feel right.

Sorry lol, but the OP doesn't LIVE on SDN...
WIth all due respect, I really don't want to put myself on blast on SDN and therefore don't want to reveal what college I attend (if you're THAT curious..which I don't know how it makes a difference, PM me?). But there really isn't grade inflation, at least in the bio classes.

Keep the comments coming, I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Regardless of which school OP is from it won't matter that much. The story is going to be basically the same. Maybe the adcoms will cut the OP some slack if the school is a big name school.

"and won a hugeee grant to do a dental awareness project oversees this summer that I am very excited about."

This, I think, will help you really stand out in the application pool. Most people don't have this opportunity. Good luck and I hope you get in!

thanks all!!

now back to essay writing... lol

I am very curious to hear the results of what happened with your application! Please update

I am very curious to hear the results of what happened with your application! Please update

you just revive a 7 year old thread that the OP, either graduate and practice dentistry, or gives it up and get a real life.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure the OP still goes on SDN too. Not.

Reactions: 1 user
When OP posted this, Bush was still the US president.

Reactions: 2 users