Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.1 GPA, 28 MCAT, DPM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Toejam, May 20, 2002.

1. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I love speculating! I'm just curious to know some opinions of my chances for admissions to COMP.

40-year-old white male, UCLA, 1989, 3.1, Japanese major, guessing I'll get about a 28 on the MCAT, practicing DPM for 3 years (Podiatry school GPA 3.52), one year residency at L.A. County Medical Center.

I'm only applying to COMP because I can't move out of the area.

LET'S SPECULATE!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I say you will be fine, i think u should try and show your intersted in that school by shadowing a doctor that graduated from there

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Your DPM GPA helps immensely.

You didn't mention how your grades are on your medschool pre-reqs? Bios, chems, Orgos, physics, biochem? You may want to retake them if it has been over 10 years. With a 28 on the MCAT, and solid numbers on the pre-reqs, I think you'd be in excellent shape.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toejam:
    <strong>I love speculating! I'm just curious to know some opinions of my chances for admissions to COMP.

40-year-old white male, UCLA, 1989, 3.1, Japanese major, guessing I'll get about a 28 on the MCAT, practicing DPM for 3 years (Podiatry school GPA 3.52), one year residency at L.A. County Medical Center.

I'm only applying to COMP because I can't move out of the area.

LET'S SPECULATE!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies.

My undergrad science GPA is a mixed bag. Bio- A and B, Inorg chem B and C, Org Chem, B- and B-, Physics A and B.

These classes were 10 years ago, though, and I took A LOT of professional level science courses in podiatry school from 1994-98 (Anatomy, Biochem, Immunology, Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology, etc...a mix of A's and B's.

Basically, I'm curious as to how they would weigh the fact that I'm a practicing DPM with a lot of practical clinical experience and a lot of upper level science courses. My undergrad GPA prevented me from getting any interviews back in 1994, so I'm hoping that all of this will help get me in.

5. UrSexyLatinDr

UrSexyLatinDr Single and looking =o)~
    7+ Year Member

Hey buddy~

Did you always had in mind you wanted to be a physician? if so, why did you chose DPM instead of reapplying again if not succesful the first time? Or was it in your DPM practice that you decided that Podiatry wasnt for you? Just wondering.......

Good luck with your application process, I think you should mention you would like to go into primary care, I ve head people say this really helps since DO school almost emphasizes on Primary care.

Eduardo

6. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I didn't really know anything about podiatry until the year that I applied. I didn't investigate it very thoroughly and wish that I did. I wanted to be a physician since 1984 and SLOWLY prepared myself to gain entry. It's a long story, but I ended up finishing everything, but my overall GPA was about a 3.1 and my first set of MCAT's were about a 27. My GPA was relatively low because of all of my screwing around when I first got in to college. It definitely bites you in the ass later on! Bottom line was that even though I did everything that was requested (volunteer, research, etc.) I didn't even get an interview for either MD or DO. I was SORELY disappointed. I was waiting tables at the time and couldn't bear the thought of doing it for one more year. So, I decided to just throw the towel in and accept the DPM offer. At the time it seemed to be a viable alternative. It is for some, but not for me. I did well in podiatry school and did a strong residency at L.A. County/USC and I'm now making really good money in L.A.. The problem is that I don't like it and feel as though I didn't get the medical education that I dreamed about for so long. I feel like I got in through the back door to be a doctor. My practice is such that I could pretty much continue while in medical school. So, I figure why not go back? It's never too late.

It's all just unfinished business.

Thanks for asking.

7. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Toejam,

Call me wierd, but can you pm me with how much you make a year? I see you're writing from Beverly Hills and I'm just curious as to what a podiatrist brings in out there. I'd appreciate your response.

Just out of curiosity....

Atlas