3.1 gpa, 28M mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark915

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got my MCAT results back and I got a 28M (P: 9, V: 9, B: 10).
I was scoring 31-33 on the practice tests but I guess I totally blew it on the real deal.

My overall GPA is currently at 3.066 (do they round up by any chance?) but I'm hoping it will be a bit higher by the end of my current semester. My math/science GPA is 2.94.
I'm a computer science major and my major GPA is 3.58, but I doubt that counts for anything since computer science is not counted in math/science.

Given these numbers I feel that my chances at any MD school here in the states are slim to none. What do you think of my chances at making it into a DO school? I am a New York resident so I was hoping to apply to schools around here, but at this point I'm willing to go wherever.

For what it's worth, I have a ton of clinical experience. I've been an EEG diagnostic technician since 2008 and have performed diagnostic tests on nearly 800 patients since I started working. I'm in the process of obtaining letters of recommendation from both an MD and a DO that I work with. I've also been volunteering at a nearby hospital and the Alzheimer's Association for the past six months and I'm a member of the Biology Honors Society at my college.

How do you guys think I stand?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I was scoring 31-33 on the practice tests but I guess I totally blew it on the real deal.

My overall GPA is currently at 3.066 (do they round up by any chance?) but I'm hoping it will be a bit higher by the end of my current semester. My math/science GPA is 2.94.
I'm a computer science major and my major GPA is 3.58, but I doubt that counts for anything since computer science is not counted in math/science.

Given these numbers I feel that my chances at any MD school here in the states are slim to none. What do you think of my chances at making it into a DO school? I am a New York resident so I was hoping to apply to schools around here, but at this point I'm willing to go wherever.

For what it's worth, I have a ton of clinical experience. I've been an EEG diagnostic technician since 2008 and have performed diagnostic tests on nearly 800 patients since I started working. I'm in the process of obtaining letters of recommendation from both an MD and a DO that I work with. I've also been volunteering at a nearby hospital and the Alzheimer's Association for the past six months and I'm a member of the Biology Honors Society at my college.

Your probably have no chance at MD...You might have some chance at DO but you might be sceen out due to your <3.0 sGPA...DO do not use math to calculate sGPA. If by any chances your sGPA is >3.0 without math, you definitely have a shot at DO. Your clinical experience will be a big help to your application.

I recalculated my science GPA without the math and it came out to exactly the same 2.94 -.-

Do all schools screen for GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recalculated my science GPA without the math and it came out to exactly the same 2.94 -.-

Do all schools screen for GPA?
I am sure not all of them screen for GPA. The problem is nobody knows the ones that do....Apply to 20+ schools and hope for the best.

There is a list floating around here somewhere of the schools. Cata knows where the list is located im sure.

Not many DO schools screen if I recall, but the ones that do screen around a 3.0 while a few screen at 2.8

Reactions: 1 user
This list is four years old, and I bet a lot of the links don't work anymore. It would be nice if someone started a thread in PreMedOsteo where everyone in-the-know with info from the last application cycle could post newer information and it could be gathered into one list by the initial poster (hint, hint.)

DO School GPA cut offs: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7199902&postcount=2

I know that western said that they can't give secondaries to anyone at a 2.49 or less. So you still have a shot, just kick ass this semester, have amazing LOR EC and PS and you hopefully will land interviews and show them you are an awesome candidate!

You're at the low end of acceptability for some of the DO schools, but not mine. MD: no chance.

Hello everyone!

What does your GPA breakdown look like? Upward trend or downward trend? Or consistent? The only thing that will save you is an upward trend, even at DO schools. I'm sorry to say I think you have no chance at MD schools unless you are URM with an upward grade trend and a good story. You may have a shot at DO schools, but your grades are still lower than their averages.

Though a retake is usually not recommended. I think in your specific situation a retake could be beneficial if you score 31-33 range. But could be detrimental if you score same or lower. The standard deviation is 1-2 points, plus the psychological barrier of MCAT>30