3.1 GPA 515 MCAT OHIO WAMC /school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACCitra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In need of some help on my school list given the low 3.1 GPA and 515 MCAT, not sure how much my experiences make up for this lopsidedness. Will be applying to SMPs, but hoping I can snag a DO acceptance, need help trimming the MD list or adding new lower tier schools that I didn’t think of.

No significant upward trend, upper div GPA is slightly higher. No real explanation for low GPA besides not being focused.

State: Ohio
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.1 (AACOMAS sGPA 3.20) No significant upward trend
MCAT: 515 (129/127/130/129)

AmeriCorps:
2000 full-time community service hours in leadership role (AmeriCorps Team Leader, PS focused on community service, family centered medicine) includes rural community service, disaster relief, environmental stewardship, infrastructure improvement, Habitat for Humanity, etc

Clinical Research Coordinator:
6 publications, clinical research, no first author, mid to moderate impact
320 shadowing hours, (30) osteopathic, cardio, heme/onc, surgery
1400 hours bench research working with PhD/MD’s to process patient samples, collect and analyze data
1500 hours patient interaction, consenting patients for studies, project & data management/ regulatory 80 volunteer hours at Ronald McDonald House at this hospital

Other:
400 hours summer intern at biotech company in R&D, lab work/research, no pubs
400 hours Autism Behavior Therapist (ABA therapy, working with kids 1 on 1)
500 hours coaching Little league Baseball
60 hours tutoring STEM, underserved secondary school students

LOR’s:
Very strong, 2 MD strong, 2 science medium (got A’s in classes from both profs), 1 comm service
No DO letter so Via COMs + WVSOM are out

1594221129122.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several DO interviews. Add MU-COM and WVSOM. You could add these MD schools:
Drexel
Seton Hall
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola

You should receive several DO interviews. Add MU-COM and WVSOM. You could add these MD schools:
Drexel
Seton Hall
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
MUCOM=Marian then I got it on there unless theres a diff school that youre referring to. WVSOM I dont have a DO letter :/

Thanks for the MD schools! Any MD schools I can eliminate?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you complete an SMP program with high grades and wait until next cycle, your application strength becomes infinitely stronger. You would be an elite applicant for your mcat score and could likely punch above your weight class given your ECs.

If you complete an SMP program with high grades and wait until next cycle, your application strength becomes infinitely stronger. You would be an elite applicant for your mcat score and could likely punch above your weight class given your ECs.
Yeah I am definitely going to apply to a few SMPs this cycle, hoping to get into Cinci's if possible. But I have the time and resources to apply this cycle and I would like to start 2021 if I could.

Its hard to gauge my chances because of my lopsided stats and my EC's. I really don't know how much of a long shot this year is, thats sorta why I made this thread.

If applying this cycle, I’d say you pretty much have no chance at MD.
If you wait, great chances at MD.
Remember, schools don’t typically like reapplicants.

Unless your are primary care focused, I’d wait a year for a strong MD app with strong SMP grades. You’ll have many more options open for you.

If applying this cycle, I’d say you pretty much have no chance at MD.
If you wait, great chances at MD.
Remember, schools don’t typically like reapplicants.

Unless your are primary care focused, I’d wait a year for a strong MD app with strong SMP grades. You’ll have many more options open for you.
I dont think I mind going DO even though I know waiting a year would make me a strong MD applicant. My application is definitely centered on community based medicine and its backed up through anecdotes from my community service in underserved communities. Given this, which MD schools would be worth applying to? And how many realistically should I even take a shot on?

@Goro you helped me on this forum a lot like 4 or 5 years ago. What do you think about my application DO/MD? Is it worth trying some MD's with my community based medicine app? Or should I stick with my DO list and not apply without an SMP for MD?