Aug 23, 2016
Hello! So basically I went into my senior year of college with a 2.9 gpa and 2.1 sgpa due to not working hard, and have been getting straight A's since then (2 years of straight A's-senior year plus a DIY post bacc year of mostly science classes). My GPA is now 3.3 overall and 3.1 sgpa. Still no official MCAT but my practice tests have been 515-518, no higher and no lower. Let's say I take the MCAT and get anything from 34-36 (515-518), what would be my chances for MD? I'm aware that I have a strong upward trend but still below average GPA. I would need 2 more years of classes to get my sgpa to a 3.4/3.5, so should I do that or apply for SMPs? What would give me a better chance at an MD school? As for EC's, they're pretty average or even below average: shadowing, hospital volunteering, work study and research assistant for 2 semesters. I'm also a North African female so not URM. Any advice will be great. Thanks!

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MD is going to be very rough, even with a 518 and considering your upward trend. Your best shot is either trying for schools like Hofstra and VTech that seem to forgive low GPAs if you have a high MCAT, look at your state schools, or (and this is the most surefire way), do grade replacement then DO. You could also try an SMP if you really want to go MD.

But as it stands, you're not likely to have a great deal of success with MD.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Ace the MCAT and you'll find that there are MD schools (and ALL DO) that rewrad reinvention.

MSAR Online will tell you how many matriculants have post-bac or graduate degrees. Dartmouth, Albany and NYMC are among the top three of those that I've looked at.

Hello! So basically I went into my senior year of college with a 2.9 gpa and 2.1 sgpa due to not working hard, and have been getting straight A's since then (2 years of straight A's-senior year plus a DIY post bacc year of mostly science classes). My GPA is now 3.3 overall and 3.1 sgpa. Still no official MCAT but my practice tests have been 515-518, no higher and no lower. Let's say I take the MCAT and get anything from 34-36 (515-518), what would be my chances for MD? I'm aware that I have a strong upward trend but still below average GPA. I would need 2 more years of classes to get my sgpa to a 3.4/3.5, so should I do that or apply for SMPs? What would give me a better chance at an MD school? As for EC's, they're pretty average or even below average: shadowing, hospital volunteering, work study and research assistant for 2 semesters. I'm also a North African female so not URM. Any advice will be great. Thanks!

Reactions: OchemOficionado
OP
D
Aug 23, 2016
MD is going to be very rough, even with a 518 and considering your upward trend. Your best shot is either trying for schools like Hofstra and VTech that seem to forgive low GPAs if you have a high MCAT, look at your state schools, or (and this is the most surefire way), do grade replacement then DO. You could also try an SMP if you really want to go MD.

But as it stands, you're not likely to have a great deal of success with MD.
I'd prefer MD but DO would be fine. I still want to improve my application though, so would you say continue post bacc until I have at least a 3.4, or ace an SMP would be better for MD schools? Both will take 2 years but I'm not sure if it's better to apply with a 3.1 sgpa and 3.7+ SMP, or a 3.4 sgpa and no SMP.

Aug 19, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Wayne State apparently looks at your last 30 (?) hours if you did a post bacc more than your overall GPA. Not very familiar with that, but there have been threads on here about that.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd prefer MD but DO would be fine. I still want to improve my application though, so would you say continue post bacc until I have at least a 3.4, or ace an SMP would be better for MD schools? Both will take 2 years but I'm not sure if it's better to apply with a 3.1 sgpa and 3.7+ SMP, or a 3.4 sgpa and no SMP.
Doing an SMP and getting high grades will likely quell any questions about your ability to preform academically in med school, so that is probably the option with the best reward. However, if your performance is mediocre or poor, you're likely going to shut yourself out of MD. Its up to you to decide whether you want to take that risk.

OP
D
Aug 23, 2016
Ace the MCAT and you'll find that there are MD schools (and ALL DO) that rewrad reinvention.

MSAR Online will tell you how many matriculants have post-bac or graduate degrees. Dartmouth, Albany and NYMC are among the top three of those that I've looked at.
So it's fine to apply with a 3.1 bcpm gpa and a really good MCAT? Or should I take more classes/ do an SMP? I really don't want to have to be a reapplicant. I don't care how long it takes to make me competitive for any MD school or top DO schools, I'd rather keep improving my application than get rejected.

OP
D
Aug 23, 2016
Wayne State apparently looks at your last 30 (?) hours if you did a post bacc more than your overall GPA. Not very familiar with that, but there have been threads on here about that.
I'll definitely look into that. Thank you!

OP
D
Aug 23, 2016
Doing an SMP and getting high grades will likely quell any questions about your ability to preform academically in med school, so that is probably the option with the best reward. However, if your performance is mediocre or poor, you're likely going to shut yourself out of MD. Its up to you to decide whether you want to take that risk.
I'm confident I can do well in an SMP, and if it's a risk with possible reward, then I'm willing to take it. Thank you so much.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I do not think you need an SMP at this point and you should apply

So it's fine to apply with a 3.1 bcpm gpa and a really good MCAT? Or should I take more classes/ do an SMP? I really don't want to have to be a reapplicant. I don't care how long it takes to make me competitive for any MD school or top DO schools, I'd rather keep improving my application than get rejected.

Aug 19, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I do not think you need an SMP at this point and you should apply
@Goro isn't a 3.1 rather low for most MD schools? Besides Wayne I was thinking an SMP as well haha. Also she hasn't gotten her MCAT, so isn't it late?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
On the surface yes, But reinvention is what the schools are looking for, and they look at the most recent GPAs, not the total.

@Goro isn't a 3.1 rather low for most MD schools? Besides Wayne I was thinking an SMP as well haha. Also she hasn't gotten her MCAT, so isn't it late?

Reactions: Drmissy