3.1 undergrad GPA, 3.6 postbacc gpa and climbing, 510 MCAT (practice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundermuffin54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm hoping for this to be productive as possible. I usually stray away from these types of forums, but I would like some opinions. I'm a 24 year old white male.

Graduated with a Physics degree in 2015 with a cumulative GPA of 3.1. Got a job as an EMT after graduating, and have been doing that for a year (tons of patient contact). I volunteer at two organizations, people's city mission (health clinic for homeless and underserved) and HUGS (a german shepherd rescue) and heavily involved with pre-med clubs on campus. I have around 100 hours of shadowing various MDs. I am now almost done with year 1 of my post bacc GPA repair in biochemistry, most likely going to get a second degree in biochem after the second year of post-bacc classes. I have tons of shadowing experience, personable (from what my interview coaches say), and I don't plan on giving up my dream of going to medical school. I tried applying to only UNMC right out of college, but obviously failed with a 27 MCAT which I barely studied for (huge mistake) and a low GPA from hardcore physics classes while taking core pre-med classes. Looking back, I probably should've picked a major that was more conducive to medicine. Oh well. Now, my GPA is improving, with this year looking like the average will be somewhere in the 3.75 range. I have taken several practice MCATs, averaging to around a 510, and I haven't really studied too hard for it yet. I'm planning on taking it this summer and to apply for the Fall of 2018. Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great shot! I just started my post-bacc year and I am aiming for 3.6+ GPA as well. Best of luck to you!