1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

3.13gpa and OAT 300TS and 300AA

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by trah23, Dec 28, 2008.

1. trah23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I was wondering, is their anyone with about a 3.13ish gpa and a TS and AA score of 300 who got accepted to an optometry school. The gpa is the same as mine but im kind of low balling the OAT scores just in case I actually do that bad (this jan. 8th). Obviously there not high enough to get into the top ranked opt schools but how bout some of the other universitys. Incarnate Ward in san antonio is starting their new opt program for 09, would they have high score requirements or maybe something similiar to these because theyre trying to get established. Im kind of in the position where whichever university accepts me im gonna go to so id really appreciate any feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mathcod

5+ Year Member

You're best bet is puerto rico. Their average gpa and OAT are below 3.0 and 300. Do well on the OAT and you'll have a chance to get in more schools.

4. trah23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I think in actuality ill get around around 320 and 330 on the TS and AA, would they be enough for some of the other schools because from all my practice tests ive been gettin around that range and one 340 on a TS.

5. afasano

afasano ICO class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    ok, since you havent done you OATs, you really can't figure out what school is good for you, just yet!!!

most people on the forum would say that they scored low on their practice exams, and then they rocked the real exams.

I think the most important thing is that you get applications ready, that schools that you might like to go to... You are applying really late, so you have to be realistic. My grades were about that, but I applied in Sept, with 360 TS OATs....and I was accepted to places I applied. NECO, ICO, and got invites to all the other places that I applied.

So really, you need to
    1. PRACTICE OATs
    2. BE calm, relax.
    3. Start prepping your applications.
    4. Get more shadowing experience....countless people saying that they are on hold because of their limited shadowing experience.

gl

6. trah23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    thanks for the feedback afasano, i was shadowing a couple optometrists but stopped for a while so I could study for the OAT, ill make sure I get back on it this monday.

7. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    anothing thing trah, I would shadow optometrists in different settings: private, corporate, HMO, Hospital, VA, Lasik, etc.

8. afasano

afasano ICO class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    definately agree with ya...
    during my interview they asked me specifically what settings I had shadowed.

I had shadowed in both private pratice, SEARS optical, and the specialized peds optometrist.

9. trah23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Well heres just a quick update, Ive actually decided to rescheduled to take the OAt on 14th of febuary while it will put me past UHCO's deadline I figured it would be better than doing really poorly on the 8th of january and hurtying my chance at other university's. Im thinking with the extra time for studying I should do alright on the OAT and hopefully get accepted to the new program at Incarnate Ward where I think I have the best shot and a couple of other schools hopefully:)