3.14 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellio140

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did post-bac work over the past two years with an upward trend of a 3.98 over the last 51 credits in upper level sciences. Am I competitive at MD schools or should I focus on DO? Thanks!

Also a paramedic with otherwise average EC's and LOR's.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you haven't been out of college for a long time, the answer would depend on your MCAT score. If it is extraordinarily high, MD might consider you if you had sterling ECs. If it is 30+, you might qualify for an SMP (Special Masters Program=expensive) which could override the low GPA and give you a chance at MD (and more time to build good ECs); Or you could also just apply to DO programs.

You do know that the DO application service only counts the most recent class if you retake, right? You might have a higher AACOMAS GPA than AMCAS GPA.

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah for aacomas grade replacement has helped: sGPA: 3.69 cGPA: 3.41.

Also I don't know if I'm using postbacc in the proper context. I stopping going to college when my GPA was a 2.75 ~ around 2007, went to work for a few years in EMS, then returned to school to finish up so that's where those past 51 credits came from.

Anyways, my current plan is to apply broadly to MD schools, I am also applying to DO schools. I just am unsure about if my recent good grades will deflect a lower GPA making the MD application senseless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that GPA looks a lot better.

Actually the fact that you took a break away from college helps you. I think some less-selective MD schools might consider you due to your nontrad status. I wouldn't spend a fortune on MD schools just yet. Wait on the MCAT score before you decide. However, I don't think you'll need to be at the same uber super performer level score-wise to get some attention.

Postbac means classes taken after receiving your bachelors degree. Do you have one yet?

No I don't. When I stopped going to school I was a 6 credits short of a History degree. Upon returning to school the graduation requirements changed so at this point I'm 6 credits away from a Human Biology degree and 6 away from a History degree - I'm finishing both up in the Fall. So its kind of half postbacc/half finishing an undergrad degree.

About waiting to apply, I was just talking to a friend tonight about waiting to submit AAMCAS until I get my MCAT score. Because my MCAT won't post until July 17/20th I think my strategy will be to submit some now to take advantage of applying early and if I score well enough submit more at that point.

I did post-bac work over the past two years with an upward trend of a 3.98 over the last 51 credits in upper level sciences. Am I competitive at MD schools or should I focus on DO? Thanks!

Also a paramedic with otherwise average EC's and LOR's.

Your fine. Don't do DO schools unless you have less than 28. If you score 30+, you are competitive in US MD schools. 51 credits more than make up for your poor undergraduate performance. The exception to this rule would be if you did your postbac in a really bad GPA boosting school.

Hey figured I'd update this with an MCAT score. Got a 28...kind of disappointed - I was scoring 28-33 on my AAMC practice tests. Very confused now about my future as I've already submitted primaries and am getting secondaries from MD and DO schools alike right now. I'm considering retaking but I realize it's late in the cycle and I may just wait to retake next year in the case that I don't get accepted this year. I'm scheduling a meeting with MSU CHM's admissions counselor next week to try and make sense of everything. If you guys have any advice let me know!! Thanks!

I'd say role with what you've got and see what happens. It's good that you applied both MD and DO. If you don't get any acceptances, you can call the schools and ask them what you need to improve on your application and retake your MCAT. Good luck with the rest of the process

Hey figured I'd update this with an MCAT score. Got a 28...kind of disappointed - I was scoring 28-33 on my AAMC practice tests. Very confused now about my future as I've already submitted primaries and am getting secondaries from MD and DO schools alike right now. I'm considering retaking but I realize it's late in the cycle and I may just wait to retake next year in the case that I don't get accepted this year. I'm scheduling a meeting with MSU CHM's admissions counselor next week to try and make sense of everything. If you guys have any advice let me know!! Thanks!
You are very competitive for DO. If you are set on MD, I think you should retake the MCATand try to score 32+.