3.15 cGPA, 2.94 sGPA, 31Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caps1219

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applying and just about ready to send in my AMCAS on Tues, Jun 5.

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 2.94
Originally a ChemE and switched majors in Spring 2009. GPA plummeted to 2.10
Upward trend from Spring 2009 - Spring 2012 with semester GPAs of:
3.87, 4.00 (summer), 3.66, 3.66, 3.66, 3.71
Earned a C or better in all pre-reqs (although I had to re-take Gen Chem II)
Will be attending an SMP for the 2012-2013 academic year at RFU (Where do I put this in AMCAS btw?)
Emphasized my turnaround and switching majors in my personal statement

MCAT #1: 26 M (PS 8, VR 9, BS 9) --> May 2011?
MCAT #2: 31 Q (PS 10, VR 10, BS 11) --> Jan 2012

Extracurriculars:
Shadowing: 25 hours with a geriatrician

Volunteering at a hospital: 160 hrs with a summer in ACU, 1 year in ED, 1 year in OR (observed 5 surgeries for a total of 7 hours)

Fraternity:
Held positions of Pledge Social Chair & Executive Social Chair for 1 semester respectively

Professional Fraternity: 3 years as general member
Held positions of Attendance Chair (1 sem), Assistant Treasurer (1 sem), Executive Treasurer (2 sems)

Mentor/Tutor:
Mentored a seventh grader for 1 year

Work:
Worked as a Seasonal Employee at a nursing home for 3 years

Research:
Currently working at a Phase II Clinical Study: a Drug Treatment for Cocaine Dependence (will be working for the summer up until October)

I'm an Illinois Resident planning to apply to UIC, RFU, Loyola, Rush, SIU, Midwestern (DO). What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump.

Any suggestions, comments, opinions will be much appreciated!

bump

in the same position :( are you a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry maybe i'm not reading that right but how is employment in a nursing home "research"? i think you might have a chance at RFU, especially since you're doing an SMP there. you should probably look into more DOs though.

sorry maybe i'm not reading that right but how is employment in a nursing home "research"? i think you might have a chance at RFU, especially since you're doing an SMP there. you should probably look into more DOs though.

Oops, I meant Research/Work. I'll edit that. Any chance at the other MD schools? Say a wait-list until late Spring? Will ADCOMs monitor my progress at the SMP after the first semester or so?

I mean it'd make sense for me to go to RFU because some of the credit from the SMP will transfer to the MD program, but UIC is my top in-state choice.

I got into schools last cycle with those stats