MD (3.17/3.06/517)What should I do to improve my application if I don't get in this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bournvita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My obvious issue is the GPA. I got so caught up with applications that I did not sign up for classes for this upcoming fall semester,. I know it is very likely that I will reapply. For basic stats:

ORM
3.17 cGPA/3.06 sGPA after two years of 3.85 post bacc work (1 year part time, 1 year full time). Painful W's and F's scattered throughout undergrad. No real trend in undergrad.
510-520 balanced MCAT- the issue is that the score will expire after next application cycle. I know the biggest mistake is to reapply too soon but I really want to avoid retaking it if possible, that test was a beast and it did not come easy
3000+ hours paid clinical paid work
200 hours clinical volunteering
1500 hours in research (no pubs though, just undergrad presentation on independent project)
200 hours teaching
60 hours shadowing
Some other activities were not included

My options are:
1. Start a biomedical sciences masters degree in my state (they offer one in the spring program) which allows you to take some classes with the medical school but not linked. Apply after a semester of good grades, continue the program during the application year.

2. Apply for SMP's during this cycle, take undergrad courses in the spring to bring gpa up to like 3.23/3.13 (is it worth the $$$ for the extra bump?) and apply for med schools again during the SMP year. Retake the MCAT and apply after SMP if I don't get in during the SMP year.

Also- should I be doing some more volunteering? After graduation I only did activities that were paid (psych ward, extra tutoring) so I'm wondering if my volunteering/shadowing will seem 'expired'.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post your list so more enlightened minds can assist you. If it is broad and inclusive of various O, D, and M letter combinations, i'm sure you will find yourself in medical school this time next year.

Your current MCAT/Postbacc are good enough to get you into several DO schools as it is.

I'd only do the masters or SMP if you want MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence? Where did you apply to?
I have applied to 36 schools, may apply to two more (Wright and Toledo). Most secondaries are done, about 9 more to go that will definitely be done by 9/1. I am only applying for MD which is not wise, but to me it is worth investing extra time and money.

Albany Medical College
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
The University of Miami School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker

Last edited:
Would appreciate advice for what to do with my application year regarding my awful gpa

You have a good list but schools such as Rutgers and Cooper accept very few non residents. Definitely add SUNY Buffalo and Upstate. You do not need to retake you excellent MCAT. A DIY post bacc in the coming year is all you need in order to raise your GPA to 3.25 but all it does is increase your odds of a MD acceptance from your current 35% to 45%. If no success this year apply broadly to DO schools next year.

You have a good list but schools such as Rutgers and Cooper accept very few non residents. Definitely add SUNY Buffalo and Upstate. You do not need to retake you excellent MCAT. A DIY post bacc in the coming year is all you need in order to raise your GPA to 3.25 but all it does is increase your odds of a MD acceptance from your current 35% to 45%. If no success this year apply broadly to DO schools next year.
Should I include the other two SUNY schools in that case?
I am interested in MD, should I start a biomedical sciences masters this spring or start a SMP next fall if I reapply next year?

Last edited:
I am a NJ resident. Should I include the other two SUNY schools in that case?
I am interested in MD, should I start a biomedical sciences masters this spring or start a SMP next fall if I reapply next year?
Since you are a NJ resident then forget about SUNY Upstate and Buffalo. Your NJ schools are where your best chances are. A masters in the spring would be better since it would be on your application if you reapply next summer.

Since you are a NJ resident then forget about SUNY Upstate and Buffalo. Your NJ schools are where your best chances are. A masters in the spring would be better since it would be on your application if you reapply next summer.

Thank you. @gonnif @Goro Any other advice you would like to offer in terms of my plans during this application year?

Just wanted to update with some good news- I have been accepted a mid tier MD school, with one more MD interview coming up. I took a gamble, and I was very, very lucky. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to update with some good news- I have been accepted a mid tier MD school, with one more MD interview coming up. I took a gamble, and I was very, very lucky. Thank you for the advice.
Congratulations!!!! Can I PM you?