l

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you will be fine with a strong MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

It has been 7-8 months since I graduated with a bachelor of Psychology from a Michigan school. I currently am working as a medical assistant and studying for the MCAT that I plan to take in May. Today I crunched the numbers for myself on where my science gpa is at. I came up with a 3.18. I was wondering if there is any shot at me getting into any DO schools. I started my GPA out strong, but when I moved away to college my Junior year, there is a sharp decline, then I finished my Senior year strong. I got a C- in General Chemistry 2 which really shot my science GPA (I since re-took it and got a B+). I was wondering if a high MCAT can really off-set a low gpa.
EC's
Coach of Youth Basketball for a few seasons.
Volunteered at Soup Kitchen for a year
A year of Hospice
A year of Medical Assistant
6 Months full-time position in sales
Waiter for a few years in college
3-4 jobs since high school ( have always had a job at least part-time since I turned 16)

To give you a point of reference, I have the same exact science gpa and have received 2 II to DO schools with a 507 mcat. 507 is by no means high so I would aim 510+ if you can. Also a Michigan resident.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMO if an applicant is unfortunately in the position where one is low (not fatally low), pray for the high MCAT, low GPA scenario. Youll have more of a shot than vice versa since not all GPAs are created equal, but the MCAT is standardized. Adcoms can better gauge your ability to handle the work. If your GPA is below a 3.0 which it isnt i'd suggest an SMP or something of that nature.

It varies but usually a 3.2-3.3 cutoff. I think 3.0 is rare but there may be a few.
If my functional neuroanatomy course counts as a science I’ll have just over a 3.2. And if I take UNE’s online Biochemistry and get an A then I’ll be over a 3.25. Would this be significant?

Last edited:
If my functional neuroanatomy course counts as a science I’ll have just over a 3.2. And if I take UNE’s online Biochemistry and get an A then I’ll be over a 3.25. Would this be significant?
No really. 2 classes will not have a significant impact

I have the same sGPA. Just look up the admissions requirements for schools. Most DO schools have a minimum between 2.8-3.0 for sGPA. However, many require a minimum of C's or higher in pre-reqs. MU-COM would be a good place to look.

I have the same sGPA. Just look up the admissions requirements for schools. Most DO schools have a minimum between 2.8-3.0 for sGPA. However, many require a minimum of C's or higher in pre-reqs. MU-COM would be a good place to look.
2.8? seems a bit low. I literally have never met or heard of a single person who has gotten an II for med school with a gpa below a 3.0. If you have below a 3.0 you should save your money and apply Pod

I am forsure applying podiatry, and yeah I have looked, my science gpa should be over a 3.2 at least. Hopefully I get some love from a couple DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

My GPA was ~3.3 when I applied with an upward trend, I had a 508 MCAT and got 7 II from DOs, mostly lower tier schools. Don't let your ego get the way and only apply to top DO schools. Your goal right now is to get into ANY med school.

Those are serious anomalies then. They prob had a sub-3.0 in undergrad and then through reinvention excelled in a postbacc program. You dont get MD IIs with a sub3.0 there is more to their story
Yes, not trying to say they aren’t anomalies and/or that there’s not more to the story (upward trends, disadvantaged background, military, URM, etc.). Just more pointing out that it occasionally happens. I think the biggest takeaway from that thread is that most of them are non-trads in some way (i.e.-they were patient and have put time in between the bad grades and their application, which is a important crux of Goro’s “reinvention” guide as well).

Yes, not trying to say they aren’t anomalies and/or that there’s not more to the story (upward trends, disadvantaged background, military, URM, etc.). Just more pointing out that it occasionally happens. I think the biggest takeaway from that thread is that most of them are non-trads in some way (i.e.-they were patient and have put time in between the bad grades and their application, which is a important crux of Goro’s “reinvention” guide as well).
Yeah exactly. but im saying someone with a true sub 3.0 with no reinvention (SMP or post bacc) is most likely not getting an II to med school DO or MD

Yeah exactly. but im saying someone with a true sub 3.0 with no reinvention (SMP or post bacc) is most likely not getting an II to med school DO or MD
Agreed, but you didn’t say anything about reinvention in the first post, you just mentioned that you’d never heard of sub-3.0s getting MD invites ever.

Can you guys give me some insight on which ones would be low tier, and which ones top tier? I don’t have any ego, I just want to get into DO so I can practice family medicine but I don’t waste another year so I’d have to do podiatry at the very least (toxic home environment/pressure from parents to get life started).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I was about to flip out after reading your first post, but realized you meant without reinvention lol. I concur, I have yet to see someone (unless extreme circumstances) < 3.0 get accepted to a U.S medical school without undergoing reinvention.