3.184 cGPA, 3.046 sGPA, 27Q, should i apply this year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibalahsf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT breakdown:

B11, P10, V6, WS:Q

So, not the best GPA; science major at UM-Ann Arbor, but that's not really an excuse. I feel like with such a low verbal score, i don't really have a chance. With my current stats, I'd only consider in-state or nearby schools like Michigan State, Oakland University, Wayne State, or University of Toledo. But I have a pretty good personal statement, great letters of rec, and great ECs.

I'm almost guaranteed admissions into a two year's master's program here...should I just wait, retake the MCAT next summer, and try next year?

Thank in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

With a VS of 6, you'll need to retake the MCAT. But more you need to do something about your GPAs. If you can get an MCAT of 30, and currently have some good grades in some upper-level science classes, you might be compeititve for a Special Masters Program, where excellent grades can override your lackluster undergrad grades and make you competitive for MD schools. A traditional masters in a Bio-related discipline may help you at a few schools. A nonscience master won't help at all.

Alternatively, 1.5-2 years of postbac work (more undergrad classes), with strong grades, can also make you more competitive.

Alternatively, consider DO schools where retaking low grades can take advantage of their grade forgiveness policy to rapidly raise your GPAs.

For more information on SMPs, see SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs forum.

No, don't apply this year. Your GPA and MCAT are both too low for MD.

I wouldn't do a traditional master's if your goal is med school. Follow Catalystik's advice.

Getting in to a DO schools is much more realistic at this point