1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.184 cGPA, 3.046 sGPA, 27Q, should i apply this year??

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ibalahsf, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ibalahsf

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    MCAT breakdown:

B11, P10, V6, WS:Q

So, not the best GPA; science major at UM-Ann Arbor, but that's not really an excuse. I feel like with such a low verbal score, i don't really have a chance. With my current stats, I'd only consider in-state or nearby schools like Michigan State, Oakland University, Wayne State, or University of Toledo. But I have a pretty good personal statement, great letters of rec, and great ECs.

I'm almost guaranteed admissions into a two year's master's program here...should I just wait, retake the MCAT next summer, and try next year?

Thank in advance...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

With a VS of 6, you'll need to retake the MCAT. But more you need to do something about your GPAs. If you can get an MCAT of 30, and currently have some good grades in some upper-level science classes, you might be compeititve for a Special Masters Program, where excellent grades can override your lackluster undergrad grades and make you competitive for MD schools. A traditional masters in a Bio-related discipline may help you at a few schools. A nonscience master won't help at all.

Alternatively, 1.5-2 years of postbac work (more undergrad classes), with strong grades, can also make you more competitive.

Alternatively, consider DO schools where retaking low grades can take advantage of their grade forgiveness policy to rapidly raise your GPAs.

For more information on SMPs, see SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs forum.

4. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, don't apply this year. Your GPA and MCAT are both too low for MD.

I wouldn't do a traditional master's if your goal is med school. Follow Catalystik's advice.

Getting in to a DO schools is much more realistic at this point