• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello,

I graduated in Spring 2011 from a top school in Georgia with a 3.19sGPA (which includes research/teaching for credit, one engineering class, and a biology math models class) and a 3.37cGPA. Could someone please confirm if the above classes falls under the science GPA?

I plan on taking the MCAT in July, but I am not sure if that is too late. Would taking the MCAT in June vs July make a huge difference for me since I have a lower GPA? Also, what score should I aim for on the MCAT given my lower GPA?

I took the MCAT once before, but did HORRIBLE (17) because I did not study for it. But this time I am taking a PR class and plan on studying for a few months. So, should I apply in June with my score of a 17 or wait August when my scores for my July MCAT come out?

I have decent ECs (Biology Teaching Assistant, 50+ shadowing hours, 50+ volunteer hours, 2 semesters of research). I will continue to do more volunteering.

What do you think my chances are for DO school, specifically for PCOM-GA?

I greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks!
27+and you got a shot if other parts of your application are OK...I would apply in June so your application can get verified early. You should mention that you are retaking the MCAT. I dont think taking in July as oppose to June would make a big difference

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I graduated in Spring 2011 from a top school in Georgia with a 3.19sGPA (which includes research/teaching for credit, one engineering class, and a biology math models class) and a 3.37cGPA. Could someone please confirm if the above classes falls under the science GPA?
It depends on what the course prefix is, and what the course content description entails. Do you want the Engineering and Bio math models class to count? Theoretically, a class that is > 50% math, does not go into the AACOMAS sGPA, but if the course prefix suggests another department, the content may not be obvious.

AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

About the Ads
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
See responses in red:
The courses I would like confirmed are:

BIOL - Undergraduate Research In what area was the research?
BIOL - Special Topics (Undergrad Teaching Asst) What class did you TA? Regardless, as it is nonspecific, you could probably get it counted.
BIOL - Math Models in Biol If this was a math class in disguise, dueto the name, it might be hard to have it counted as Bio. What do you think?
BIOL -Senior Seminar What was the topic? Regardless, you can probably get it counted as it is nonspecific.
BMED - Problems-Biomed Engr I Yes. It's science.

Since the prefix is Biology or Biomedical Engineering, they should ALL count towards my science GPA? Correct?

tide11189

5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2010
South Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would shoot for a 28+ on the MCAT. I took the last MCAT in July and I was fine for getting everything in on time. Many DO schools are now in fact accepting the January MCAT of that application cycle year. Good Luck!

Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
here are more specific details about my classes.

BIOL - Undergraduate Research - Genetics
BIOL - Special Topics (Undergrad Teaching Asst) - Biology Lab
BIOL - Math Models in Biol - I am not sure, but since it has a BIOL pre-fix I was hoping it would count!
BIOL - Senior Seminar - Research Presentation
I think they should all count except for the Math Models in Bio, but you can mark it as BIO anyway, and hope they miss it. If they disagree, they will change it.

It depends on what the course prefix is, and what the course content description entails. Do you want the Engineering and Bio math models class to count? Theoretically, a class that is > 50% math, does not go into the AACOMAS sGPA, but if the course prefix suggests another department, the content may not be obvious.

AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

This is actually a common misconception on SDN. Course prefixes don't mean anything for AACOMAs. How do I know? I went crazy trying to figure this out myself and talked to them.

This was there response "We can not advise on whether or not your classes are science classes. Do not go by the prefix, it's irrelevant, go by the course content and use (insert link to application guide displaying list of science classes) as a guide."

So heres the truth. What's considered science for aacoma is very very vague. For example motor learning. Essentially isnt that the same thing as biomechanics? lol.

Really all you can do is use that list as a guide and fill it out as accurately and honestly as possible because if you mess up what are they going to do? Nothing. I mean they already told me in these exact words "We can not advise you on whether certain classes are science classes or not". However if you list a lot of classes as science that obviously have nothing to do with their list you may become highly suspect and they may change that you never know. So do the best you can.

Also think about the sheer number of applicants AACOMA gets. Do you think they're going to go through every app with a fine tooth comb looking for irregularities? Unlikely. Unless they see something that stands out like if I put "sucess in sports" as science or something. They probably just give it a quick glance but who knows. They're a mystery to me sometimes.

Arguably you could use say all those courses you mentioned are biology, op, and count them as science. Might as well.

I think that would def hurt you because you wouldnt get your scores back until september.

submit your primary asap with one school, add more based on your mcat score.

iamthecheese333

Jun 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have similiar stats and am also taking the MCAT in July. Just to clarify, the purpose of submitting your app early to only one school is so AACOMA has enough time to verify it by the time you receive your results? That way you can avoid spending money applying for schools that you may not be competitive at if you perform poorly on the MCAT? Thanks guys!

Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have similiar stats and am also taking the MCAT in July. Just to clarify, the purpose of submitting your app early to only one school is so AACOMA has enough time to verify it by the time you receive your results? That way you can avoid spending money applying for schools that you may not be competitive at if you perform poorly on the MCAT?
Exactly! Be sure to mark the last planned MCAT date on the application so that schools won't reject you prematurely. If they know another score is coming, they'll hold off considering you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.