3.2 32?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pupsingh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would a 3.25 overall and 3.2 sci gpa witha 32 mcat and applying to 30+ schools make it possible to get 1 acceptance? would that be unlikely, likely, a stretch? or what. jus lookin for possibilities.

Members don't see this ad.

would a 3.25 overall and 3.2 sci gpa witha 32 mcat and applying to 30+ schools make it possible to get 1 acceptance? would that be unlikely, likely, a stretch? or what. jus lookin for possibilities.

I would say it's definitely possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well there is no way to say for sure, especially based only on stats. A 3.2 is pretty low and a 32 is just average for matriculants. Do you have a state school that is easy to get into?

Possible but more of a stretch.

1) Do you already have the 32, or is that still theoretical?

2) When are you graduating? Is there any chance you could delay your graduation a semester or two, take some basket weaving courses and get that 3.25 up toa 3.3 or 3.4 before applying without delaying an application cycle?

3.2/32 is pretty borderline. I know people don't like the LizzyM score too much, but it still works well to evaluate your chances. A score in the 65 range (3.5/30) had been the gold standard of matriculant averages but in recent years, that seems to be more like a 3.6/31 or a score of 67. With a 3.2/32, you'll be significantly below average in GPA and just slightly above average in MCAT, which would make the chances slim unless you had outstanding qualitative accomplishments or URM status.

I've seen people with stats like that get into schools. You'll have a MUCH better chance if you have an accessible state school. If not, apply super early to many schools within your range, and throw in a few DO schools if you'd consider going to a DO school over reapplying next year. Just give it your all, and I think you should be fine if you present a well-rounded early app with a great personal statement, good LORs, an upward trend and solid ECs with good clinical and volunteering experience (or research/publications if you have them). Again, if you've got a "friendly" state school, you'll be in a much better position than if you're a resident of a state with no state school, or in California. :luck:

Oh, and put your stats into www.mdapplicants.com and check out how they fared. It's all self-reported, but it can be helpful.

30+ schools? Thats like $5000+

Members don't see this ad :)
Id say its closer to 3000, still expensive though.

Id say its closer to 3000, still expensive though.

I applied to 30ish schools and primaries alone came to $2000 and change. If you factor in secondary fees, its well over $3000.

2) When are you graduating? Is there any chance you could delay your graduation a semester or two, take some basket weaving courses and get that 3.25 up toa 3.3 or 3.4 before applying without delaying an application cycle?[/QUOTE]

Don't you think med schools would see right through that? He's not really improving himself as an applicant if he takes easy courses to boost his gpa. Maybe taking some upper level bio courses and doing well in them would help?

OP:

You've given too little information. Depends on your extracurriculars and experience.

With those scores, however, I'd try to do a masters while you are applying to increase your chnces. Perhaps a special masters program or a one year program like the one I'm doing at my university in molecular medicine.

It's possible if you have great ECs that are going to make schools want to take a second look at you, despite the lowish numbers. Without that, I think you need to take time off to work/pursue a masters program. Though my overall GPA is a little higher, my science GPA is a 3.2 and my MCAT is similar to yours...my science gpa has been my limiting factor (according to at least one adcom), and has certainly prevented me from getting interviews. That being said, there have been schools willing to overlook the numbers and I will be going to medical school next year....so it's possible...just apply broadly.

Um. How did you come up with that?

I'm a guy.

Well, I know someone who applied to that many schools and with secondaries it cost him over $5000. Since a lot of schools send secondaries to all the students who apply ( my friend told me, I am not sure ) he had to sell his car.

WCB gujuDoc have not seen you around in a while.

Well, I know someone who applied to that many schools and with secondaries it cost him over $5000. Since a lot of schools send secondaries to all the students who apply ( my friend told me, I am not sure ) he had to sell his car.

WCB gujuDoc have not seen you around in a while.
50+ schools was just slightly over $5000 including secondaries from nearly all of them.

Then again, my travel expenses have been......... minimal.

So congrats to your friend then if 30+ schools has brought him to $5000. It means he's going on interviews, at least.

50+ schools was just slightly over $5000 including secondaries from nearly all of them.

So congrats to your friend then if 30+ schools has brought him to $5000. It means he's going on interviews, at least.

He already got in, this was last year. Sorry for not clarifying.

I agree. My personal experience with 1 interview in 50 schools, however, hasn't been so great. Then again it's only halfway into the cycle... :(

good luck! i hope u get into at least one.

goodluck and hopefully you get in.
Some ppl can just be mean on MdApps comments tho...:mad: