Mar 29, 2010
Status
3.2 GPA - very balanced grades, lowest mark at B-
33 MCAT - 10V,11B,12P
McGill Junior, I took 5 courses every semester

Do I have any chance in the US for MD/DO? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions :)

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'll keep it short and sweet.

DO = good, especially with great EC's
MD = not as good, even with great EC's

Best of luck, but be prepared for a humbling experience. The admissions process isn't easy for anybody, and your GPA is definitely in need of a little work.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

Best of luck, but be prepared for a humbling experience. The admissions process isn't easy for anybody, and your GPA is definitely in need of a little work.
I made it into medical school (a good one) with low 30's mcat and slightly higher gpa than the OP. I had excellent EC's. It's very possible.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I made it into medical school (a good one) with low 30's mcat and slightly higher gpa than the OP. I had excellent EC's. It's very possible.
That's what probabilities are all about. They aren't exact. But, the fact remains that his chances aren't exactly fantanstic.

Feb 11, 2010
Status
33 MCAT - 10V,11B,12P

Do I have any chance in the US for MD/DO? I'd appreciate any help/suggestions :)
Could it be a bad thing that you grades are balanced? Meaning you are consistently underperforming?

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Could it be a bad thing that you grades are balanced? Meaning you are consistently underperforming?
Yes. ADCOM's do look for uptrends.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician

This is very good advice. I have similar stats as the OP. When your GPA is on the lower side, you have to knock everything else out of the park - ECs, volunteering, clinical experience, LORs, PS, etc. My advice is to apply to many schools, apply broadly, include a good number of DO schools, apply EARLY, and try to stand out in some way. Think of what makes you unique as an applicant and let that come through in your application.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
An adcom from CA recently said that consistency is good, even if its subpar consistency. Straight Bs with few As to give a 3.3 is suppose to be better than a 3.3 made with As, Bs, Cs and Ws.

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Yeah I'm Canadian, hopefully that doesn't take DO off the table too :xf:
I don't really know about the balanced grades, I was curious about that too but I think it might mean different things to different adcoms.

Btw this "studentdoctor" idea is awsome, props for whoever came up with it.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract

voodooMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I doubt he'll have a problem getting into a MD program some where. McGill is an excellent University. There are a lot of med schools that will focus more on the 33 MCAT and the fact that you were challenged at an elite school. A dirty secret I heard from members of adcoms is that elite schools have elite students which merit a closer look. If it's btw you and a student with a 4.0 and 30 MCAT from State University, you will be picked 60% of the time.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
33 MCAT - 10V,11B,12P

according to some strange formula that i dont know who came up with, 3.2 X 10 = 32, then + 33 = 65. suppousely thats okay.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
according to some strange formula that i dont know who came up with, 3.2 X 10 = 32, then + 33 = 65. suppousely thats okay.
That would be the LizzyM formula, LizzyM ( an adcom member who is on SDN) came up with it. There was a excel sheet around in which MD schools were given LizzyM numbers based on this formula for there average matriculants or something like that

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Ya that formula's pretty usefull, I was just worried about how negatively the difference btw MCAT & GPA will effect my app to the MD/DO schools.
But thanks for the input/advice everyone, I'm less 'anxious' now...
whatever happens happens :)

Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
33 MCAT - 10V,11B,12P

I did some rough math the other day and there are ~18,500 seats in US MD schools and ~20,000 people score a 30 or higher on the MCAT each year.

Of those ~20,000 you can bet they're not all balanced like your score (not to mention you have a 33) so you're immediately at an advantage there. You hear all the time to lowest MCAT you'll get into med school (MD, that is) with is 9-9-9 and thats with a 3.9-4 GPA and great extracurriculars. i.e. I'm liking your chances.

The MCAT has to been the most important academic factor, Adcoms aren't stupid. It is the only objective way to evaluate ALL prospective students on an even playing field. Like everybody has said McGill is a good school, with a good reputation.

For instance, I know a few people with GPAs in the 3.7-3.8 ranges, and none of them have cracked 25 on the MCAT.

Look at admissions stats for MD schools vs DO schools the single biggest discrepancy you will find is average MCAT score. Apply broadly, and someone will admit you.

EDIT: One more point: The average of a 3.2 GPA & 33 MCAT + 4.0 GPA & 27 MCAT is a 3.60 GPA and 30 MCAT which is right around the national average.

Last edited: