Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.2 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, late MCAT - chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by kkosp2451, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kkosp2451

kkosp2451 2+ Year Member

After re-taking many classes, I have my final stats...:scared:

cGPA: 3.20
    sGPA: 3.21
    MCAT: pending! (scheduled for middle of August. Only took diagnostic so far with grade of 22 (7VR, 7PS, 8BS) - eek! tons of studying to do!)

EC's:
    - 4 years as EMT (2 years critical care, 2 years basic), 4000+ hours with multiple years (2) of leadership
    - 1 year as ER tech at level 1 trauma center
    - 1 year internship in health education department at UG
    - Shadowing two MD's (no DO's, unfortunately)
    - Other stuff here and there (community service club, etc.)

NYS resident. Here's the list:
    1) NYCOM (top choice!)
    2) TCOM (NY)
    3) Rowan
    4) LECOM
    5) PCOM
    6) DMU-COM
    7) UNE-COM
    8) Touro SMP
    9) NYMC SMP

Should I apply more broadly? Any ideas/suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited: 05.20.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kkosp2451

kkosp2451 2+ Year Member

Also might wanna add I'm the first in my family to get a bachelor's degree

4. kkosp2451

kkosp2451 2+ Year Member

Anyone? Please? :)

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your GPAs are fine for any DO school. However, do NOT apply until you're ready to take the MCAT. A 22 will be close to lethal. Do the SMP only if you're boning for MD schools.

6. umbrellaapp

umbrellaapp

Pre-Medical
    Your GPA is fine, but do you feel ready for the MCAT? DO schools typically look for 26-28. I know you have a few more months to study, but make sure you are prepared. I know DO cycle is a bit later, but applications do open up roughly the same time as MD, so getting in an August MCAT score might make you a bit late.

7. kkosp2451

kkosp2451 2+ Year Member

Thank you! That score was just a diagnostic, which was timed and before I studied anything. I definitely will be aiming for at least a 30, and will not take the exam until I am showing scores around that area.

Thanks for your reply! I am going to do my hardest to make sure I'm prepared :) I think I'll definitely have a better sense of how I'll do once I get more into the studying, and start taking more FL's. My advisor had told me that for DO, anything before September is solid so hopefully it wont be terribly late!

8. kkosp2451

kkosp2451 2+ Year Member

Do you guys suggest any other things I can do? Extra EC's perhaps?

9. tscmid11

tscmid11

Medical Student
    You really need to shadow (and get a letter if possible) a D.O. if you are going to apply to osteopathic medical schools. Also try increasing community serve hours if you only have some "here and there" experiences.

10. radian313

radian313 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have similar stats, no mcat yet (3.4, ~3.2, MPH 3.9), great LORs and ECs (including a DO), heres what Ive been told....

I need atleast a 26-27 MCAT to get admission "somewhere", it may not be my top 3 choices, but it will be a DO granting school....balance out your studies, I am doing the same....my goal is to first get FLs within 30s....that gives me a good buffer....because on test day your scores will be lower by about 2-3 points

I am applying to mostly all the schools....I know its overkill but I need to/want to get in this cycle....I think you need to apply a bit more broader...look into WVSOM...as per their website

WVSOM's student demographics (using the 2012-2013 academic roster) breaks down as follows:

• 837 total students
    • 255 in-state students
    • 582 out-of-state students
    They take a lot of OOS students....and their admission criteria arent as competitive as other schools....the drawback? Its not your typical NY setting (knowing you are from NY), this may be a problem, since I myself was born in Queens, NY, but now live in Virginia, its a change of pace....

Also, I know some say yes and no...but Ive spoken to many DOs and many have said, having a letter on file will only help you....think of it this way, most AdComs are looking for reasons to filter out app out initially....not having a DO letter just may entice them to do so...

Do well on the MCAT....looks like you and I will have to do well on it to get a good chance...I wish you well...good luck

About the ads