3.2 cGPA- 3.3 sGPA - 509 MCAT - Lots of ECs - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinavee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I will be applying to medical school this year, both MD and DO schools. I have no particular preference over the other. I am worried as to whether I look good to the admissions committee given my stats... Would love if anyone can chip in their two cents and if anyone has a similar success story to mine?

cGPA= 3.2
sGPA= 3.3
  • Failed Hematology for personal reasons= D
    • Will retake online UC Berkely Extension = Expected A
  • Bunch of C's floating in my Freshman and Sophomore year with increase trend of A's and B's Junior and Senior Year
Major= Microbiology
MCAT =509
Extracurriculars =
  • Competed in badminton for 8 years and continue competitions occasionally currently
  • Student government for two years
    • College of Natural Sciences Representative -1 year
      • Started the first Premedical and Prehealth Summit for students interested in healthcare as a career option
      • Published a bylaw to help allocate 75 million dollars to the Cal State University system
      • Acted as liason between students of my college and the college dean
    • University Student Union Board of Directors - 2 years
      • Board chair second year
        • Revised the bylaws for our student union that has not been touched in 8 years and was finalized and passed prior to my graduation.
        • Acted as liason between students at large and the Board of Directors of the student union
  • 400 hours non-paid volunteer at three different hospitals
  • 300 paid clinical work as a medical assistant
  • 200 paid clinical work as a medical scribe at a clinic and a pediatric cardiology team (will accumulate about an additional 500 hours by May 2016)
  • 100+ non-paid intern for the American Heart Association in the advocacy department
    • Advocated for the following at City Hall meetings and state meetings as an official AHA intern representative:
      • Taxing sugary beverages with attempt to decrease sugar-linked obesity
      • Switching out all vending machine snacks to healthy options in a city to promote concept of preventative medicine (decrease obesity, diabetes II, and hypertension)
      • Tabling at public functions to pass out flyers and teach others about heart healthy food options, consequences of high sugar intake, etc.
My last two years of undergrad was tough as a close relative passed away all the while holding a full load of classes, student government (both ASI Board and Student union Board), and volunteering in a hospital every weekend. Started paid clinical experience towards end of senior year of undergrad and continue today.

If anyone can relate and throw in a success story or what do you think my chances are of getting into medical school, please do leave a comment! Any and all is appreciated!

Thank you~~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Western U is my top DO choice, I will also apply to Arizona, Touro, and Michigan State.

Idk if western, AZCOM, Touro ca, or MSU would give you the time of day with your cGPA that low as their avg GPA is around a 3.5-3.6 for both sGPA and cGPA. Try Touro Nevada, ATSU-SOMA (in AZ).

Are you planning on taking anymore classes to boost your GPA a bit more?

Reactions: 1 user
You should be competitive for some DO schools with your MCAT score. Concentrate on schools such as:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there should be several).
MD is unlikely but it may be worth applying to your state public MD schools depending on your state of residence.

Your GPAs are really low for MD. Maybe apply to your state MD school and then focus solely on DO schools!

Idk if western, AZCOM, Touro ca, or MSU would give you the time of day with your cGPA that low as their avg GPA is around a 3.5-3.6 for both sGPA and cGPA. Try Touro Nevada, ATSU-SOMA (in AZ).

Are you planning on taking anymore classes to boost your GPA a bit more?
I am retaking biochem series currently and taking a few other classes as an informal post bac student

You should be competitive for some DO schools with your MCAT score. Concentrate on schools such as:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there should be several).
MD is unlikely but it may be worth applying to your state public MD schools depending on your state of residence.
yeap especially since DO schools do grade replacement! thanks for your reply :)

Your GPAs are really low for MD. Maybe apply to your state MD school and then focus solely on DO schools!
California has competitive schools. Chances of me even scoring an interview is slim to none, speaking honestly. But I will be applying broadly to 25 MD Schools and the rest DO. Thank you for your reply!