3.2 core uGPA 3.7 science uGPA 3.64 Graduate Gpa (masters degree) hispanic female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flower70954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Overall my uGPA's have ranged from 3.4-3.8 but 2 semesters in a row (10 years ago, my sophmore year) when a very close family member passed away (and I was 19), I did terrible in classes and got 6 F's, 3 C's, 1 D (GPA ~ 1.6). This brought my GPA way down to about a 3.2, (it would of been ~3.6 if not for those 2 semesters) . My science GPA is a 3.7 because those 2 semesters I did not take any science classes so it was unaffected. I have a masters degree in clinical psychology with a 3.64 GPA and my postbach premed prereq GPA is a 3.7. I don't think any adcom will worry I am a bad student since those 2 semesters were in the beginning of my college career, isolated, and were 10 years ago (I am 30 now). But I am worried that the overall uGPA is too low at a 3.2.

ECS:

I was a research assistant for a few years, a child therapist for a year and a half during my masters program and have 4 research publications, and 4+ years of research experience and volunteering and tutoring. Also I am an American born hispanic female who speaks the language fairly well. What do you think my chances of getting in are if I get say a 30 MCAT score? (Taking it in 2 months). Thank you. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-allo is that way

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Gyn Gyn for replying. I assume you mean volunteering or shadowing by commitment to service? If so, how many hours do you think are sufficient? Also, as I said all of the bad grades were during my sophmore year, I have heard there are some schools that 1) weight your Junior, Senior & postbac GPAs more heavily and/or 2) factor in your graduate GPA (non- SMP as it's clinical neuropsychology) and that would help mine, are you aware of any specific schools that do this? Thank you again.

Thank you Gyn Gyn for replying. I assume you mean volunteering or shadowing by commitment to service? If so, how many hours do you think are sufficient? Also, as I said all of the bad grades were during my sophmore year, I have heard there are some schools that 1) weight your Junior, Senior & postbac GPAs more heavily and/or 2) factor in your graduate GPA (non- SMP as it's clinical neuropsychology) and that would help mine, are you aware of any specific schools that do this? Thank you again.
Your value as a member of the Mexican American community is largely because of your language skills and the fact that this community needs doctors badly. Without evidence of commitment to your community, you are not nearly as desirable as candidate. Shadowing is not service.
Graduate grades are held in low esteem compared to undergrad. I've heard that there are schools that consider graduate grades (Central MI, MI State, Wayne St, LSU). Check the websites.