• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

FutureDoc503

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
3.24 cumulative, 3.18 science GPA. MCAT: 28O

Extracurric. 2 1/2 yrs of research, Biochemistry Lab TA, University health educator for 1 yr, gen biology & biochem tutor,

Have great LORs, shadowing experience, and I'll possibly work as a scribe this summer.

I started my first two years off as a B - average student which kept me around a 2.7 gpa. My two years improved and I ended with a 3.9 GPA (semester GPA) last fall with a rigorous schedule. I was planning on applying to DO schools this year and was wondering what my chances of acceptance would be with my stats, or if I should consider doing a post bacc. program to bump up my GPA?

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Extracurric. 2 1/2 yrs of research, Biochemistry Lab TA, University health educator for 1 yr, gen biology & biochem tutor,

Have great LORs, shadowing experience, and I'll possibly work as a scribe this summer.

I started my first two years off as a B - average student which kept me around a 2.7 gpa. My two years improved and I ended with a 3.9 GPA (semester GPA) last fall with a rigorous schedule. I was planning on applying to DO schools this year and was wondering what my chances of acceptance would be with my stats, or if I should consider doing a post bacc. program to bump up my GPA?
I dont think you need a postbacc for DO...Save the time and money. You have a decent shot if apply broadly. Though your GPAs are below average, but your MCAT is above average for over half of the DO schools outthere. Your upward trend is also a big plus. Applying early should increase your chances as well.

FutureDoc503

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you for the advice, I really hope they can look past my rough start and take notice of my strong finish. Are there any schools that you would recommend applying to that I would have a decent shot?

About the Ads

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you for the advice, I really hope they can look past my rough start and take notice of my strong finish. Are there any schools that you would recommend applying to that I would have a decent shot?
Avoid schools that are stats or GPAs oriented such as Touro in California, NYCOM, New Jersey, CCOM and schools with regional bias..OHIO, Pikeville, Western in Lebanon...

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

If you have any particularly low science grades dragging you down, consider retaking to take advantage of AACOMAS grade forgiveness, where they only inlcude the most recent grade if the credits are the same or greater.

If you don't have a string of As in upper-level Bio and Biochem, work on that this coming year.

What is your role as a university health educator?

tenndoc

bringer of sarcasm
Aug 12, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
you might have a shot at a state MD program (not CA or TX) too. you have similar stats as mine and i pulled to interviews at UT and ETSU. you are good to go for DO.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
you might have a shot at a state MD program (not CA or TX) too. you have similar stats as mine and i pulled to interviews at UT and ETSU. you are good to go for DO.
Are you an URM? These stats (3.2 and 28 MCAT) seem to be low for MD IMO.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Check out my mdapp profile. Not everyone on here has the magical 3.8/34.
Your GPAs are higher...I am so used to these smart a..ses on SDN belittling other people stats. I forget that SDN is not a true sample of the applicant pool.

Ill be applying with similiar gpas (3.26 cum 3.23 science) prob around a similar mcat score, and i dont have your nice upward trend and research but do have decent ECs so I say go for it, because I certainly am. Applying early will be the best bet.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.