3.2 GPA, 31 Q MCAT, PA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BHavko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time in this forum...
3.2 GPA, 31Q MCAT, 3 season NCAA athlete, currently working in the emergency room. Chances of getting into Allopathic school? Osteopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

First time in this forum...
3.2 GPA, 31Q MCAT, 3 season NCAA athlete, currently working in the emergency room. Chances of getting into Allopathic school? Osteopathic?

Some people are going to reply to you and say that your stats are too low for allopathic, and osteopathic is probably just cutting it.

I will tell those people they are wrong. Your MCAT is great, your ECs are impressive. Get some more clinical stuff going. Shadow some doctors (DO/MDs alike). And maybe take some more upper level classes to show you can handle them. A year of 30 credits could work in your favour if you apply and don't get in to any schools this year.

Don't let anyone discourage you. You play a varsity sport at the NCAA level. You've got work ethic and understand dedication and commitment. Just work on that GPA.

Is your MCAT balanced more or less? Also, is there an upward trend in your GPA?

I took two graduate level courses while I was still in school. MCAT was balanced, but my GPA went down every semester. I'm hoping my time working in the hospital will make up for my low GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
The clinical experience won't make up for a lower GPA but it can help sway a decision. I have a lower GPA as well and have to work on it.

Many people applying these days have hundreds of hours of research, clinical exp, publications, etc..so it is really competative. GPA is a key sorting factor along with MCAT. The fact that you were an athlete will make you stand out and will definately help you.

For my gpa issue, I am taking classes in fall and spring and will continue to take them unless I get into a school this cycle:xf:. I would suggest the same for you. If you pull off some A's in undergrad/grad level classes and send them to schools after taking them it makes a really difference.

Also you should stay in contact with schools you are most interested in. Call them with questions or email them about the program, I have heard that some programs take note to this because you show heavy interest. Or update your app with any new research or activities. I have heard people that were waiting on a school, updated an app with a publication, then got interview the next day.

So just keep doing what your doing and do more! and apply to alot of schools. GL

Could you define working in the ER? Does this mean you are employed there or are volunteering there?

Also, 3 season NCAA athlete could mean anything. Did you actually play?

Aside from that, you have told us about a low(relative to what gets someone into MD or DO medical school) GPA, an average MCAT(relative to the average of people accepted to MD type medical schools), and a downward trend in your GPA.

Is there anything you left out to make you stand out more?

I am not saying don't bother applying, but don't be surprised if you need to do some GPA repair in a post BACC type program to get an MD acceptance.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

According to the tables you have a 30-38% chance of getting in as you sit.

I'm currently employed as a tech in the ER, have been for about 6 months now. As for the athletics, I was a four year letter winner in cross country and indoor/outdoor track. Also, my father is a physician, I don't know if that makes me stand out more or not.