MD & DO ~3.2 GPA/514/CA. WAMC/ school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MawbleIM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is going to be long and personal but I really would like some advice and tips on what I can do:)!

I graduated from UW-Seattle in 2018 with a 2.93 gpa. I know that’s a horrible gpa and below systematic cut offs but i have reasons for it.

In 2016 spring my grandfather who was my namesake passed away, a few months later in the fall my cousin died from a drug overdose and then the day before Thanksgiving my dad died from a very very very sudden cardiac arrest, he had no underlying heart condition and actually had a check up a few weeks earlier. Then later that year my gf contracted mono, either from me or using one of her roommates utensils ( most likely me since I never got sick even when seeing her).

For the next few years my mother was in a very bad place and struggled with binge drinking to the point where she couldn’t even say my name on my birthday and I would get calls from my brother and sister telling me that she’s in the hospital again from either falling in public or passed out in a bathroom. Some of these calls occurred right before exams and midterms. (My mom is doing really well now, I can home from school after graduating and it took a lot of work but she’s doing really well now and I’m so proud of her:))

Back to my gpa, so all this as well as being a full time student athlete at a top 20 program really made it difficult to thrive gpa wise. And I admit that I didn’t put 100% effort but that’s because I knew if I did I wouldn’t be able to handle it mentally. I told myself that grades are just grades and that my mental health took precedence over them and so I ensured to find happiness and keep myself positive as I was struggling with depression and anxiety from all that occurred.

I have finished about 31 quarter units of postbacc work at my local UC @3.96. And got my MCAT score back yesterday receiving a 514(130-125-130-129).

My question is will I be competitive? If so what kind of schools should I aim for? Im looking to apply MD and DO. I know with my gpa an SMP is most likely the route but idk if I have the money for that and know it’s a very high risk high reward situation.

I have a slightly upward trend my last few quarters at UW but a massive increase with my Postbaccalaureate.

Here are my ECs as of now:

Athletics ~10,000+ hours
Clinical experience~ 400 hours
Leadership experience~ 200 hours
Non clinical volunteering~ 75 hours
Research= 0 at the moment, reached out to my school and will be talking to a research advisor ( in undergrad with athletics and all that personal stuff it was difficult to find time for research both literal time wise and mentally)

If there is any information I am forgetting that can help with advice please let me know!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:) !

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools U Washington and Washington State are where your best chances are.
You are competitive for all of these DO schools:
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UNECOM

For MD schools U Washington and Washington State are where your best chances are.
You are competitive for all of these DO schools:
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UNECOM

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my end! But I am a CA resident! I’ll still apply to UW as a reach because it’s my dream school. Also I made a post in December last year and was told that 513+ MCAT could make me competitive for some MDs. Is that not still the case :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try some MD schools but you should be aware that the GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~1/3 chance for a MD acceptance and that your GPA is below the 10th percentile for almost every MD school. The chances would be less for CA residents since your state schools are very competitive. You could try these schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Concentrate on DO schools since that is where your best chances are.

You could try some MD schools but you should be aware that the GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~1/3 chance for a MD acceptance and that your GPA is below the 10th percentile for almost every MD school. The chances would be less for CA residents since your state schools are very competitive. You could try these schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Concentrate on DO schools since that is where your best chances are.

Okay! Ya I know MD is tougher with lower GPA but I will qualify for FAP next year so I get the free 20 primaries for MD!

I suggest these schools:
Dartmouth
Pitt
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
Temple (maybe)
UCD
UCSF
EVMS
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI

Any DO program; as a reinventor you will need DO schools on the list. I suggest:
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM (watch tuition!)
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Touro-CA
KCU
NYIT-COM (NY and AR)

I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.