3.2 GPA, pending MCAT and great clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given that the MCAT is pending, I know this already is going to be tricky. Despite that, I would like some unbiased opinions.
GPA: cumulative 3.2 after my BS in Kinesiology. Taking some post-bacc classes: A and B in physics I/II and will probably make a C in biochem from this semester. Still have microbiology to take next semester that I'll predict to make at least a B in. Hoping my upward trend in post-bacc classes helps pretty up my GPA a little.

Clinical experience: Worked as a scribe for the ER docs for 3.5 years, seeing about 20,000 patients total. I have volunteer experience with Laura Bush's Womens Health Institute and have two 3-day long oncology conferences that I volunteered for as well. Would see this as my strongest card to play. Oh, and have secured 2 very wonderful recommendation letters from my ER docs.

MCAT: taken 1 practice test before studying (made a 23), so hoping to turn at least an 8 in both biology/physical sciences and a 10 in verbal by the time I take the real thing March 22, 2014.

Thoughts? Cruelty and honesty are both welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Great job on physics!!! I am taking a refresher math course prior to pre-calc and then calc before I retake that awful physics.

You need to get that GPA up for Texas. D.O.'s should be fine...I'm only premed, nontraditional student. Write one heck of a personal statement, show them your heart and maybe that could open doors!! Wish you ALL the best!!!

Score above 25 in MCAT and you're fine

Given that the MCAT is pending, I know this already is going to be tricky. Despite that, I would like some unbiased opinions.
GPA: cumulative 3.2 after my BS in Kinesiology. Taking some post-bacc classes: A and B in physics I/II and will probably make a C in biochem from this semester. Still have microbiology to take next semester that I'll predict to make at least a B in. Hoping my upward trend in post-bacc classes helps pretty up my GPA a little.

Clinical experience: Worked as a scribe for the ER docs for 3.5 years, seeing about 20,000 patients total. I have volunteer experience with Laura Bush's Womens Health Institute and have two 3-day long oncology conferences that I volunteered for as well. Would see this as my strongest card to play. Oh, and have secured 2 very wonderful recommendation letters from my ER docs.

MCAT: taken 1 practice test before studying (made a 23), so hoping to turn at least an 8 in both biology/physical sciences and a 10 in verbal by the time I take the real thing March 22, 2014.

Thoughts? Cruelty and honesty are both welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Score above 25 in MCAT and you're fine

I have treasured this comment for almost a year now, but in confusion. Would you mind elaborating a bit? I have since made a B in my Biochem class and opened my own business, so my MCAT was postponed until this upcoming January, before the massive change occurs. A 27-28 was in my mind as "average" for caucasian females in Texas, which is my aim.

A 27-28 may be avg., but anything >25 is competitive, meaning that you'll be a serious candidate with score. Capeesh?

I have treasured this comment for almost a year now, but in confusion. Would you mind elaborating a bit? I have since made a B in my Biochem class and opened my own business, so my MCAT was postponed until this upcoming January, before the massive change occurs. A 27-28 was in my mind as "average" for caucasian females in Texas, which is my aim.