3.2 GPA, unknown MCATS, us patents, firefighter, tons of volunteer work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesesteak22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.2 Overall GPA from an engineering school, I find out my MCAT in like 2 weeks. Im not expecting anything unbelievable, I got kinda rocked in the PS, probably between 25 and 28 is my guess. I have been a volunteer firefighter since 2004, volunteered in the emergency room at the local hospital, and been doing research continuously since the summer after my freshman year. I am an animal surgeon on one research project right now, and have one full us patent (received at age 13) and a provisional patent i received earlier this year for a medical device. My personal statement and letters of recommendation are very strong. With a GPA that low regardless of MCAT do I have a shot? With all my other stuff, what MCAT score do I need to even consider applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure to focus on what you HAVE done and not too much on your GPA... so you were out actually DOING stuff and not just studying- I am sure they will understand! Just make it clear! And hopefully your MCAT comes back great then you are golden.

no matter your activities, you're going to need to do very very high on the mcat to even be looked at, I mean 35+. There are many people out there who will have also accomplished a lot, who will have much better numbers than you. BTW, I think you're stressing your patents too much. There are millions of patents but very little of them actually get anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
you went to an engineering school... what exact degree did you get?

talking to a few admissions people, they tend to be more forgiving of a lower gpa if youre an engineering major.

also, what was your BCPM gpa?

hope for a 30 on your mcat and i dont see why you couldnt get in somewhere.

My degree is in biomedical engineering. I stressed the patents because both of them are medical devices, and that is the direction I want to take my MD. One makes using food utensils easier for the physically disabled, the other is a combination respiration rate/ heart rate monitor that is more comfortable then current devices. In my personal statement however, I only mentioned one of them and only as a segway into a paragraph about my creativity and foundations to pursue a career in medicine.

no matter your activities, you're going to need to do very very high on the mcat to even be looked at, I mean 35+. There are many people out there who will have also accomplished a lot, who will have much better numbers than you. BTW, I think you're stressing your patents too much. There are millions of patents but very little of them actually get anywhere.

I do not think it has to be that high to be looked at. If he got that with his firefighting I am sure he would get in somewhere. Certainly he has to get a 30+ to have a shot.