3.2 oGPA, 3.0 sGPA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

predent9

I've decided to apply this cycle and will submit my application on June 1st. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but am studying for it and will take it soon. What kind of DAT score do you think will offset this GPA?

What schools do you think I should apply to, and how many? There aren't many schools that fall in this range for GPA, so I am quite worried. I want to increase my chances, will applying to more schools be worth it? I want to have my foot in the door so that they will have already seen my file.

With a week remaining, is it too late to visit the dental schools and set up an appointment to talk to the admissions offices about my chances and what I should do? If so how do you recommend I go about doing this?

Within the next year, I will take more science courses. I can raise my GPA up to 3.44 oGPA and 3.33 sGPA with 36 credits of hopefully all As in the coming semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

Its so hard to tell you anything without a DAT. One things for sure, you will need a higher than average DAT performance (and even that might not be enough).

At this very moment in time, the only thing you should worry yourself with spending more time with the books (DAT) and less time worrying about meeting schools / SDN / anything else.

All the best

I've decided to apply this cycle and will submit my application on June 1st. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but am studying for it and will take it soon. What kind of DAT score do you think will offset this GPA?

What schools do you think I should apply to, and how many? There aren't many schools that fall in this range for GPA, so I am quite worried. I want to increase my chances, will applying to more schools be worth it? I want to have my foot in the door so that they will have already seen my file.

With a week remaining, is it too late to visit the dental schools and set up an appointment to talk to the admissions offices about my chances and what I should do? If so how do you recommend I go about doing this?

Within the next year, I will take more science courses. I can raise my GPA up to 3.44 oGPA and 3.33 sGPA with 36 credits of hopefully all As in the coming semesters.

Your GPA's (IF you do what you've said) will be about average...so you need to do well on the DAT. I'd say shoot for 21+ and you will have a great chance. If you get a 20 here and there, it will be alright, but try your hardest and that's about all you can do, right?

I had a 3.46 cumGPA and 3.38 sciGPA, so you're pretty close to where I was. I scored a 20/20/19 and got in the first time. I think it was because I had a great life story and I was different than most of the applicants at the school I was accepted to (diversity was on my side). If I could give you ANY advice, it would be to make your app different. They see stellar GPAs/DATs every cycle, but if you're different...they'll double take at you and you're more likely to be successful in landing an interview from there.

The question about how many schools to apply to...well, your finances will sort of dictate this. I was absolutely surprised at how much it costs just to
apply to each school. You can go ahead and assume each school will cost about $250 (give or take a few bucks) to apply to. So, you apply to 10 schools and that's $2,500 right off the bat. Keep in mind, this is just to apply...then you have to pay holding deposits, fees, etc...it gets REALLY expensive if you get my drift here...If you have parents that will contribute to this, it would be a great time to ask for help. It's a lot cheaper to apply to a ton of schools and get accepted the first time around than to apply 5 times to three or fours schools and be sitting there wasting time trying to get in.

Hope this helps. If you need anymore help, PM me if you need to.

Also, before you apply to schools, make sure your numbers line up with what they're looking for. For example, if you have a 19 AA, don't go applying to schools that have an average AA of 24 or something. A point give or take isn't bad, but try to be smart with your money.

Best wishes and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Very true, I was referring to the scenario he/she posted about making all A's and bringing it up to ~3.4...which I happen to think is being a little overly optimistic, but hey...live and learn I guess.

Very true, I was referring to the scenario he/she posted about making all A's and bringing it up to ~3.4...which I happen to think is being a little overly optimistic, but hey...live and learn I guess.

yeh I noticed.... its why I removed post...

Its so hard to tell you anything without a DAT. One things for sure, you will need a higher than average DAT performance (and even that might not be enough).

At this very moment in time, the only thing you should worry yourself with spending more time with the books (DAT) and less time worrying about meeting schools / SDN / anything else.

All the best

Thanks, you're right! I haven't started taking practice tests yet so I'm not sure what range I'm in, but hoping for the best on the DAT as my last shot

Your GPA's (IF you do what you've said) will be about average...so you need to do well on the DAT. I'd say shoot for 21+ and you will have a great chance. If you get a 20 here and there, it will be alright, but try your hardest and that's about all you can do, right?

I had a 3.46 cumGPA and 3.38 sciGPA, so you're pretty close to where I was. I scored a 20/20/19 and got in the first time. I think it was because I had a great life story and I was different than most of the applicants at the school I was accepted to (diversity was on my side). If I could give you ANY advice, it would be to make your app different. They see stellar GPAs/DATs every cycle, but if you're different...they'll double take at you and you're more likely to be successful in landing an interview from there.

The question about how many schools to apply to...well, your finances will sort of dictate this. I was absolutely surprised at how much it costs just to
apply to each school. You can go ahead and assume each school will cost about $250 (give or take a few bucks) to apply to. So, you apply to 10 schools and that's $2,500 right off the bat. Keep in mind, this is just to apply...then you have to pay holding deposits, fees, etc...it gets REALLY expensive if you get my drift here...If you have parents that will contribute to this, it would be a great time to ask for help. It's a lot cheaper to apply to a ton of schools and get accepted the first time around than to apply 5 times to three or fours schools and be sitting there wasting time trying to get in.

Hope this helps. If you need anymore help, PM me if you need to.

Also, before you apply to schools, make sure your numbers line up with what they're looking for. For example, if you have a 19 AA, don't go applying to schools that have an average AA of 24 or something. A point give or take isn't bad, but try to be smart with your money.

Best wishes and good luck!

Where are you getting $250/school? MOST schools are $75 application + additional $75 for secondary.