3.2 Overall/ 3.2 science/ strong upward trend with Graduate course load/ 30 on practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishermanDon99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some feedback about my odds of getting into medical school.

I am a senior microbiology major but I am enrolled in a combined 3+2 masters program so I shall be receiving my masters in 2017. I am an underrepresented minority student. I decided to enroll in the masters program because my freshman and sophomore gpas were pretty low. I averaged about a 3.1 freshman year and a 2.9 sophomore year. I got a C+ in physics 1 and a C in physics 2. I also took both orgos twice, but ended up getting Bs both times around.

My gpa is showing a very strong upward trend since my junior year (3.5 for my junior year and 3.7 this semester of my senior year.) My course load has not gotten lighter since I am taking graduate level courses at the same time.

I have only taken practice MCAT exams but I am scoring in the 29-30 region according to the old scoring method.

I have also become very involved the past year. I am the service chair for my fraternity. I am a student ambassador for Multicultural and Diversity Affairs, and I advocate for minority rights on campus as well as in my community. I plan on going on a service trip in the spring. I have no research experience yet but I plan on doing so. I have also taken an interest in public health issues such as health disparities.

Sorry for the long read but any feedback helps!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Which URM community do you represent? This can have a significnt effect on chances

2. Med schools don't care about Master's degrees, since Master's GPAs are seriously inflated. If you want to repair your GPA more, skip the Master's and do a post-bac instead and ACE your classes.

3. Are you planning on applying MD or DO? If your real MCAT ends up being similar to your practice ones, your chances at MD might be slim, but those stats + URM status should be competitive for most DO schools.

4. What kind of service trip are you going on? If it's the type where you pay $2000 to spend a couple weeks overseas volunteering/vacationing, it probably won't effect your application much.

4. Any other EC's? You should definitely have some clinical and shadowing experience before you apply!