DO 3.2 sGPA 3.4 cGPA 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejoker10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have also been working at a pharmacy for over 5 years as a pharmacy technician and I have over 100 hours of shadowing a D.O. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine, although some (but NOT all) schools may ding you for no volunteering (assuming what you wrote are your ec's...). are you applying this year?

I think you should be fine, although some (but NOT all) schools may ding you for no volunteering (assuming what you wrote are your ec's...). are you applying this year?

I'm going to have a year off so I'll definitely look into volunteering during that time. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances excellent for all DO programs, including mine. How are your ECs?

I already mentioned about my job as a pharmacy technician, but I've also shadowed a DO for 100 hours. I've also been coaching basketball for a team in a league in my city for about 4 years and I'm gonna start volunteering at a hospital when the opportunity comes up. Would it be good to get an EMT license as well and work as a technician if possible? Also, what is your DO program?

My program? Let's just say it's somewhere west of the Missouri River.

The key thing about ECs is that they show us your humanism and altruism, that you know what you're getting into, and that you actually want to be around sick and injured people plus their families for the next 30-40 years. Being a pharm tech counts for something, but if your job is like the pharm techs at my local HMO, you're just shoving medicines at people in line all day long and taking payment. You might as well be handling wiper blades and brake fluid. If you can do both EMT plus pharmacy, that would be great; otherwise volunteering at the local clinic, hospital, nursing home, hospice, etc would be fine.

I already mentioned about my job as a pharmacy technician, but I've also shadowed a DO for 100 hours. I've also been coaching basketball for a team in a league in my city for about 4 years and I'm gonna start volunteering at a hospital when the opportunity comes up. Would it be good to get an EMT license as well and work as a technician if possible? Also, what is your DO program?