Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.22 cGPA & 3.19 BCPM with 41R MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Confection, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Confection

Confection oh so sweet!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I attended Tufts University majoring in Bio for 4 years. My grades in the sciences have been atrocious. Let me just list my bad grades for you guys:

In UNDERGRAD:

Gen chem I: C- (repeated it and got a C)
    Gen chem II: C+
    Calculus I: C+ (repeated it and got a B)
    Calculus II: D+
    Orgo I: B (lab is a separate class and got A-)
    Orgo II: A- (lab is separate class and got B+)
    Physics: Withdrew once, C- second time
    Physics II: A
    Bio I:
    - took it at a CUNY failed b/c of family problems
    - took it at Harvard next summer but missed exams b/c of family problems and failed
    - Finally used AP credit at Tufts
    - Retook it AGAIN, at Harvard Extension School and got an A.
    Bio II: took the second part at the same CUNY but did atrociously (A with repeat)
    Genetics: D+
    Physiology/Conservation Bio/Immunology: C-

That's a whole SLEW of bad grades.

My final semester at Tufts I really narrowed down on what I thought was making me get less than stellar grades. Doing so, I managed to get all A's (Physics II, Bio II, Microbio, and 2 humanities) for that semester.

I have done 2 years of an informal post-bac at HES, taking 4 science/math classes each semester and have a 4.0 in those 2 years. I'm currently volunteering and continuing research. I plan to apply to the Georgetown SMP and hopefully attend the 2009-2010 cycle.

My stats: 3.22 cumulative GPA, 3.19 BCPM, and a 41R on the MCAT, as written in the title.

Extracurriculars:
    I have a whole bunch.. in effort to make up for my craptasticular gpa :rolleyes: If you notice, I have a fierce loyalty to my home nation, Bangladesh :D

1. Three years of ecology research at the New England Aquarium (2nd author paper in press, one 2nd author paper publication)
    2. Have been volunteering for the American Red Cross since 10th grade, creating many of my own events and getting volunteers to participate. I've been fundraising money on my own and using the money to directly donate to the Bangladesh Red Crescent (part of the Red Cross) or buying school supplies for the disadvantaged schools in my home town in Bangladesh.
    3. Parents are physicians, so I have significant shadowing experience
    4. I've been volunteering at a small, free clinic for 3 years now averaging about 5-10 hours a week, depending on the rigor of my week.
    5. I've been a Head Media & Outreach Intern at the Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition and also a volunteer supervisor at their fundraising events. I also have a bunch of other leadership roles within the internship.
    6. I've spent about a few months every summer for 3 years volunteering for the Bangladesh Rural Improvement Foundation. I've taught English to children at a few disadvantaged schools during a period of three years and have also volunteered in some small medical camps in rural parts of the country.
    7. Every year, I help co-organize and co-coordinate the Bengali New Year festivities (local tradition for Bengali's in the Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens area). I also co-host the ceremonies.
    8. I commision black & white portraits.

Recommendations:
    I've tried my best to solicit recommendations from those who I think know me best. I have one from my English prof at Tufts, one from my research supervisor, and two from science profs at HES.

I'm planning on applying this coming summer, as Georgetown recommends applying while attending the SMP. I kind of have started working on my personal essay, but it's far from finished. Far from being moderately okay :rolleyes:

I was just wondering what you guys think... I really want to try for a medical school in California (not the UBER ones like UCLA...though), so please let me know if you guys UC Irvine/Davis/So Cal is way out of my reach...

This is my list of medical schools that I am thinking about applying to (a "***" designation indicates I really want to go there):

• Georgetown***
    • Tufts***
    • Yeshiva
    • Albert Einstein***
    • NYMC
    • Mount Sinai***
    • SUNY downstate
    • University at Buffalo
    • Temple
    • Albany
    • University of Rochestor
    • Stony Brook
    • SUNY Syracuse
    • Cornell (long, long, long shot I know)
    • University of Illinois***
    • Rosalind Franklin
    • Loma Linda
    • Drexel
    • EVMS
    • Loyola
    • Rush
    • UC Davis***
    • UC Irvine***
    • UC So Cal (Keck)***
    • University of Cincinatti
    • Boston University
    I also want to apply to UC San Francisco, but know that will be a rather long shot...

So before I spare you guys, thank you for reading this incredibly, long, LONG, long post. Thanks again guys, it means a lot to me :)

2. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You have some dramatic inconsistencies in your academic performance, but with 3 years of excellent grades, an MCAT of 41 that proves you "got it", some very solid ECs, and a willingness to apply broadly, it wouldn't surprise me if you got an acceptance this next cycle. You have some explaining to do that should include taking full responsibility for your past failures, what you learned, and how you changed. From my understanding of California schools, I'd be surprised if they accept you, but considering your triple crown of strengths in leadership, research, and community service, all of which they value, all things are possible. I think you have a good shot at the midwest schools you've got on the list, and I'll leave it to others to comment on your eastern school chances.

Shadowing family members is generally not considered includable in your experiences section, but you can work it into your PS or essays, and your other clinical experience is more than adequate. I've read that having physician parents is considered to be experiential by some schools, with the assumption that you soak in information at the dinner table. Their occupations should be listed in the "Parents and Guardians" information section.

I'm glad to see you found the thread that Rabbit36 started. He is a great inspiration and provider of hope for folks with your stats.

#2 Mobius1985, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. Confection

Confection oh so sweet!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ^ Hi Mobius :D

I've noticed you always post around in this section and want to thank you for giving everyone good advice :)

And also thanks for the advice as well! When I shadowed my father, there were a lot of times that I shadowed the chairman of the department because my dad would be busy with other things. I guess I could use that instead :oops:

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    For sure, the department chair would be good to include. You'll need to put contact information at the end of the narrative description of your shadowing. It looks better if the person doesn't have the same name you do.

5. Ailleurs

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Holy crap, that is a long post. And a long list of extracurriculars, which are eggcelent btw :D

I think you might want to try for more schools and perhaps even DO? Or are you not interested in DO schools?

Also, I'm also interested in what other people think with regards to how you might fare at the cali schools. Anyone?

6. CaliforniaMan

USC is not part of the UC system.;)