3.23 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA, 31Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ONH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back my MCAT scores from 7/8/10 testing, did much worse than I expected and ended up getting a 31Q. I was averaging around a 34 on my practice tests and was expecting at least a 33 on the MCAT so I'm really disappointed. I really feel that I am capable of a higher score and thus I am considering retaking it in December.

First of all, was wondering if I should apply this cycle or wait until next? I am a VA resident and a rising senior at a large top tier state school. Just got my AMCAS verified GPAs and it's 3.23 cGPA/3.20 sGPA - had a rough year my sophomore year but was 3.7 and 3.5 last two semesters.

I have done research at a couple different labs but no publications. Shadowed a few different doctors for a total of around 50hrs and have 50 hours clinical volunteering experience. Also have a year of weekly non-clinical volunteering. Minor leadership position for 2 years in a student organization and membership in a few others.

I would really like to get into VCU, do you think I should apply with my current scores or wait until next cycle? As a side note, I have done research at the Pharm/Tox department this summer at VCU School of Medicine.

Any other suggestions of where to apply with my stats? Or to wait a year and boost my GPA, ECs, and hopefully MCAT? Do you think it's worth giving it a shot and applying to a couple state schools this cycle since I already submitted my primary app (with 1 school listed)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have a chance this season at any US school.

If pushed to the wall to pick one possible school, I would say your least-dismal chance this season would be EVMS, and I don't think it would be a very good chance with your current numbers and VERY skimpy clinical experience. I encourage you to improve your cGPA and BCPM, getting straight As so you have an upward grade trend rather than the downgoing trend I see. Retaking the MCAT is a fine idea if you can get 3 more points. Definitely augment your ECs.

You might have had a decent chance at some DO schools with your current stats, but I don't suggest you try this season due to the need for more clinical experience.

Thanks for the advice Catalystik.

Do you think I could apply this cycle if I retake MCAT soon and get a 34+?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Catalystik.

U're MCAT is competitive, ur gpa's on the lower end (stating the obvious here), but people get in with similar stats... on aggregate you're looking at about 40% acceptance rate which is nothing to scoff at. Now, can you get into VCU or any specific school? Who knows... But if u apply to ~ 25 schools, and do so wisely/good school selection, I think u'll get in somewhere.

Delaying ur application for a retake may do more harm, it's getting late and ur MCAT isn't the issue, it's more gpa... and I know it's tempting to try to make up for gpa with mcat but u need to factor in the additional app delay at this point, doesn't look like a good bargain to me...

Lastly, u can always sit out a yr and bump that gpa...

GL

I've seen too many applicants rejected for lack of sufficient clinical experience (and much higher stats than yours) to have any peace of mind about encouraging you to continue with this cycle, regardless of MCAT score. I recommend improving all the weak parts of your application before you give it a try next season.