MD 3.24 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 518 MCAT, Chances at SMP/Onward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GABAGoober

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing my degree in undergrad

My current stats are:

3.24 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 508 MCAT. I'm projecting that my stats upon graduation will be closer to 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. I have an upward trend, although not very strong. Year 1 (2.855), Year 2 + Summer between y2/y3 (2.998), Year 3 (3.557), year 4 (3.569). Most recent semester, year 4 spring (3.67).

For EC's, I've been a Teaching Assistant for 2 different courses, for 2 semesters each. I've done 300+ volunteer hours at a nursing home over the span of 2 years, and a medical education internship at a hospital where I also briefly shadowed (About 15-20 hours in total).

My current commitments:

I am still in school for two more semesters as a part time student. I will be applying to programs next summer/fall. During these two years out of school (assuming I get into an SMP), I will be volunteering in a clinic, and i'm also trying to volunteer with a home care organization.

Thoughts:

I realize that the lack of research is a glaring hole in my application (amongst other things). I would like to address that, but I'm unsure of how much I can make up for it. From what i've read, some SMPs have good opportunities to get into research, would it be possible to capitalize off of that to make up for my current lack of research experience? Aside from that, how much would it help my application if I gained research experience as opposed to improving other aspects?

I have decided against apply DO despite my less than stellar stats, and I'm looking to apply to SMP's and hopefully to MD after completing the SMP. I would appreciate any feedback! I would also like any thoughts on my chances of getting into certain SMP's (such as UC, Georgetown, evms, NYMC) with my current stats, and where I could improve those chances.

*edit:* I made a typo in the title, my MCAT score is a 508 not a 518. Also, if it would matter significantly, my degree is in Biochem

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for SMPs. Note: even when finishing the SMP, unless you're in a program that has direct admission if you maintain a high GPA in the program, you're going to need DO schools on your eventual list. There are only7 so many MD schools that reward reinvention, and beggars can't be choosy.

Reactions: 2 users
You're fine for SMPs. Note: even when finishing the SMP, unless you're in a program that has direct admission if you maintain a high GPA in the program, you're going to need DO schools on your eventual list. There are only7 so many MD schools that reward reinvention, and beggars can't be choosy.

I see. Although at the moment I am feeling very stubborn to apply MD, becoming a practicing physician is definitely the name of the game and I wouldn't throw away 6-7 years of effort if MD wasn't possible. However, I would like to try to improve my chances for MD as much as possible, and by extension DO.

I may have an opportunity to get involved with an interesting community health initiative, but it would definitely take away from any time I could commit to research. Do you have any thoughts on making a decision moving forward?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need research. You need better grades. Don't worry about finding research opportunities. The schools on your list will not be research powerhouses. Do
shadow a DO. Give DO a lot of thought. Why are you so opposed to it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely have chances at SMP, but be aware that they are high risk high reward. I never saw one that offered interviews or linkage to people with sub 3.6 in their curriculum; thats a GPA higher than your aggregate in year 3 and year 4 as you described.

Don't dismiss DO schools. Frankly, your stats don't make you a lock for the "old" DO schools either. Good luck with whatever you pick OP!

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need research. You need better grades. Don't worry about finding research opportunities. The schools on your list will not be research powerhouses. Do
shadow a DO. Give DO a lot of thought. Why are you so opposed to it?

I definitely get that my grades need to be improved upon, and it's something I want to address moving forward. At this point in undergrad, I have around 80 credits in science, and 112 credits overall. I can only afford to do part time for my next two semesters, but I'll be fitting in science classes to boost my sGPA as much as I can. An SMP seems to be the only realistic option I have in the line of grade remediation. Even going full time for the next two semesters, I would be hard pressed to reach a 3.4 cGPA.

To answer your last question... It's definitely going to sound presumptuous, but I want to earnestly present my reasoning.

I spent a good amount of time previously (during my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years) considering DO schools and I have nothing but respect for DO physicians and the degree overall, especially having interacted with both DO's and MD's in a clinical setting. The reason that I am against it at this time is due to pride. The prospect of DO helped me through a rough time, when I couldn't see myself making it in medicine at all, but I felt more towards the end that psychologically I was growing complacent. I feel more focused and committed taking DO out of the picture, however arrogant that may sound.

You definitely have chances at SMP, but be aware that they are high risk high reward. I never saw one that offered interviews or linkage to people with sub 3.6 in their curriculum; thats a GPA higher than your aggregate in year 3 and year 4 as you described.

Don't dismiss DO schools. Frankly, your stats don't make you a lock for the "old" DO schools either. Good luck with whatever you pick OP!

Thank you for the reassurance, and I understand that pursuing a masters in general can make or break an application. A poor undergraduate GPA can be overcome, but poor performance in a graduate program is akin to a death sentence. Thank you for informing me about the GPA and linkage relationship, it was definitely not something I had come across. My intention in pursuing an SMP is not because of the fabled linkage that some schools may offer, but because I want to take the opportunity to prove my ability to myself and others.

I don't know how things will pan out when it comes time to apply to medical schools, but I just want to do my best right now.

Any thoughts on research though? Seriously asking. I would rather not get bitten in the ass two years later.

I definitely get that my grades need to be improved upon, and it's something I want to address moving forward. At this point in undergrad, I have around 80 credits in science, and 112 credits overall. I can only afford to do part time for my next two semesters, but I'll be fitting in science classes to boost my sGPA as much as I can. An SMP seems to be the only realistic option I have in the line of grade remediation. Even going full time for the next two semesters, I would be hard pressed to reach a 3.4 cGPA.

To answer your last question... It's definitely going to sound presumptuous, but I want to earnestly present my reasoning.

I spent a good amount of time previously (during my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years) considering DO schools and I have nothing but respect for DO physicians and the degree overall, especially having interacted with both DO's and MD's in a clinical setting. The reason that I am against it at this time is due to pride. The prospect of DO helped me through a rough time, when I couldn't see myself making it in medicine at all, but I felt more towards the end that psychologically I was growing complacent. I feel more focused and committed taking DO out of the picture, however arrogant that may sound.

Thank you for the reassurance, and I understand that pursuing a masters in general can make or break an application. A poor undergraduate GPA can be overcome, but poor performance in a graduate program is akin to a death sentence. Thank you for informing me about the GPA and linkage relationship, it was definitely not something I had come across. My intention in pursuing an SMP is not because of the fabled linkage that some schools may offer, but because I want to take the opportunity to prove my ability to myself and others.

I don't know how things will pan out when it comes time to apply to medical schools, but I just want to do my best right now.

Any thoughts on research though? Seriously asking. I would rather not get bitten in the ass two years later.

I think your best bet is to see if research presents itself to you in your SMP. Seems like that is the case for many people. Focus on your grades clinical experience etc.

I think your best bet is to see if research presents itself to you in your SMP. Seems like that is the case for many people. Focus on your grades clinical experience etc.

Thank you.

I'll try my best to improve the rest of my application, and focus on acing my next and current semesters. I appreciate the feedback!

I think you should look at SMPs but understand SMPs are very different from regular masters programs. SMPs are as @Goro says, a try out for medical school. Kind of a last chance. You are competing against M1s and you have to do great-not just good. If your GPA isn't 3.6+ it's pretty much over for Med school. So SMPs are high risk and high cost and you have to do well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should look at SMPs but understand SMPs are very different from regular masters programs. SMPs are as @Goro says, a try out for medical school. Kind of a last chance. You are competing against M1s and you have to do great-not just good. If your GPA isn't 3.6+ it's pretty much over for Med school. So SMPs are high risk and high cost and you have to do well. Good luck!

Thank you!

>Fighting<

Hey Goro,
Just wondering if you know any SMPs off the bat that have have a direct admission or heavy links? I'm considering an SMP after a year of post-bac. Also, which MD schools reward reinvention?

Thanks,
(sorry to hijack thread)

Hey Goro,
Just wondering if you know any SMPs off the bat that have have a direct admission or heavy links? I'm considering an SMP after a year of post-bac. Also, which MD schools reward reinvention?

Thanks,
(sorry to hijack thread)
LECOM and Rosy F, off the top of my head.

MD schools for reinvention:
Case
Hofstra
Mayo
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
U Miami
Pitt
The Philly Triplets
Rosy F
Loyola
EVMS
GWU
Gtown
Tulane
BU
Keck (maybe)
Albany
NYMC
Your state schools

Hey Goro,

Thanks,
(sorry to hijack thread)

Temple ACMS also has direct linkage.

LECOM and Rosy F, off the top of my head.

MD schools for reinvention:
Case
Hofstra
Mayo
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
U Miami
Pitt
The Philly Triplets
Rosy F
Loyola