3.25 ogpa with a 3.0 sgpa and a 20 DAT do I have a chance and where should I apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baryjt01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now I have a 3.25 ogpa with a 3.0 sgpa and striving for a 20 on the DAT do I still have a decent chance and also where should I apply

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to actually take the DAT, rather than telling us what you're striving to score on it. Until you have a score, this is kinda pointless.

Reactions: 2 users
Do better on the DAT. 22+ preferably.

나의 XT1575 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

You need to actually take the DAT, rather than telling us what you're striving to score on it. Until you have a score, this is kinda pointless.

Agreed, no point entertaining hypotheticals about your chances until you actually have the scores, OP. Who knows - maybe you'll do even better than a 20 and have more leverage when applying.

I will say with your GPA, to avoid a post-bac/masters, I would be striving for much higher than a 20.

Maybe at one of the schools that will financially ruin you since you probably won't get HPSP or NHSC.

Striving for a 20 is very mediocre. Aim for a 23. Don't just strive, achieve.

I am part native american
That'll help you big time. Being URM goes a looooong way. If you can boost to like a 3.4/3.2 you'll definitely get interviews.

Edit: oops, I thought you already had a 20. Can't really give good advice without an actual score. Come back when you take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe at one of the schools that will financially ruin you since you probably won't get HPSP or NHSC.

I haven't sat on a board for HPSP, but I have for officer candidate school and the Army looks at more than just GPA. I can't speak for the other branches of service, but most of us don't want to pin rank on someone that is only there for student loan repayment no matter how good their grades are. I have recommended denial on OCS packets with a high GPA because the candidate was arrogant and entitled and have green lighted a packet with a really mediocre GPA because the candidate was prior enlisted and had a good attitude.

There is more than one way to pay for medical/dental school through the military other than HPSP, you just have to be willing to make a bigger commitment to service. People always have the option to enlist in the reserves and use their Montgomery GI Bill at a school with a yellow ribbon program. There's no board for that, just the enormous challenge of basic training and AIT.

As of right now I have a 3.25 ogpa with a 3.0 sgpa and striving for a 20 on the DAT do I still have a decent chance and also where should I apply
I had that GPA and a 20 AA and got into two schools. You may not get a lot of pre December interviews because you won't be many schools first choice. I got in off 2 waitlists in April! And also understand that the more expensive private schools are where you'll likely have a shot. PM if you want any ideas on what schools to apply to.

I had that GPA and a 20 AA and got into two schools. You may not get a lot of pre December interviews because you won't be many schools first choice. I got in off 2 waitlists in April! And also understand that the more expensive private schools are where you'll likely have a shot. PM if you want any ideas on what schools to apply to.
What schools if you don't mind me asking ?

I just started shadowing a dentist and he got accepted to NYU with 2.8 gpa. But that was in 2006 and he had 25AA on DAT.

It'd be tough, but it's not impossible if you apply broadly (and especially if you have good extracurriculars). I know people who are in dental school who had very similar numbers as yours.

Go ahead and check off URM and Native American you will get into every dental school you apply to you have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does it really carry that much weight?

It carries more weight then you could ever imagine. There is a huge shortage of Native American dentists. Listen to my advice and you will have a phenomenal cycle. No need to list % Native American just go ahead and select Native American.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile