This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 500+ MCAT will be enough to get you into DO school. (This is taking into account that you're a URM.)

EDIT: Didn't see that GPAs were included in thread title...

Last edited:
What's your GPA? If it's a 3.3, like you said it was in another post, then a 500+ MCAT will be enough to get you into DO school. (This is taking into account that you're a URM.)
That post was beginning of the year. I was estimating what I would end up with. What I posted here is offical, I went over it 3 times today. what is a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
That post was beginning of the year. I was estimating what I would end up with. What I posted here is offical, I went over it 3 times today. what is a URM?

URM = underrepresented minority. As an African-American, you are underrepresented in medicine -- and this has an effect on your chances of admission to DO schools.

For DO schools:

Mean GPA for black matriculants: 3.35 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA. Mean MCAT for black matriculants: 497. (Note that these are the averages for matriculants, black individuals who were accepted and enrolled.)

Your current GPAs are fine. Aim for a 50th percentile score on the MCAT (500), and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I am 24 and I am at the end of my undergraduate. My goal all along was to apply DO. However, my gpa's especially my science gpa is lacking. I paid my way through a community college to get an associates with a GPA of 3.5. Once I got to the University I was late to the party. Didn't met anyone with same aspirations so only social life was going out. Worked throughout to pay for utilities, food and such. This senior year I have gotten around a 3.7 taking a bunch of science classes.
Anyways point I am getting at is I don't have a strong support system or resources to strengthen my application for the DO cycle. My father lives in Canada with a new family, and my mother is moving in with a guy in a different state. I will be responsible for car insurance, student loans. I need to use what I have to apply to a proffessional school which is in my reach.
I am heavily considering pharmacy I was wondering if anyone has any other advice. I have taken all the science pre-reqs and I need a back-up plan that still sets me up in healthcare which is ultimately what my passion is in. I've also been studying this year for the MCAT and got a 505 on the offical AAMC practice exam so I'm sure I could do well of whichever exam I would do.

So the GPA in your title is what you'll end up with? When are you taking MCAT? Are you planning to apply this year? Have you shadowed a DO or any other clinical exposure? What will your LORs be like? Additionally what are your extra curriculars like? I ask because your numbers are good for most DO, however where you apply may also depend on the subjective portions of your application.

For pharm you'd have to take the PCAT. If you take the MCAT and don't do as well, podiatry is always a back up option as well and you can apply to that with an MCAT score.

URM = underrepresented minority. As an African-American, you are underrepresented in medicine -- and this has an effect on your chances of admission to DO schools.

For DO schools:

Mean GPA for black matriculants: 3.35 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA. Mean MCAT for black matriculants: 497. (Note that these are the averages for matriculants, black individuals who were accepted and enrolled.)

Your current GPAs are fine. Aim for a 50th percentile score on the MCAT (500), and you'll be good to go.

Just curious, where'd you get that data?

For DO schools:

Just curious, where'd you get that data?
I am a quarter black. From my understanding ethnicity in the United States is purely self-reported. I resemble a Blake Griffin (NBA player), or a lighter Obama. I have shadowed MD for 20 hours. Have coached youth basketball. Have 500 hours of home care. But looking at how I am not going to have any parents to stay with while I try and prepare for a DO cycle, I really need to just apply this summer to something less competative. Perfect situation would be having a parent to stay with while I hone in, but this isn't an option.

I am a quarter black. From my understanding ethnicity in the United States is purely self-reported. I resemble a Blake Griffin (NBA player), or a lighter Obama. I have shadowed MD for 20 hours. Have coached youth basketball. Have 500 hours of home care. But looking at how I am not going to have any parents to stay with while I try and prepare for a DO cycle, I really need to just apply this summer to something less competative. Perfect situation would be having a parent to stay with while I hone in, but this isn't an option.

Just curious, where would you be staying otherwise?

Got to find a roommate, or get my own apartment.

I guess my point is you're going to have to find a place to stay regardless of what programs you apply to. I know it's not always easy to focus when family situation is isn't ideal but just keep your eye on your goal. Don't let short term comfort or discomfort dictate the long term. Focus hard on the MCAT, try to get a DO letter and apply. Lots of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the information you have provided, I believe you are URM (black). I would apply this upcoming cycle if those are the GPAs you will be working with. Take the MCAT when you are ready and after reaching your target scores. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 24 and I am at the end of my undergraduate. My goal all along was to apply DO. However, my gpa's especially my science gpa is lacking. I paid my way through a community college to get an associates with a GPA of 3.5. Once I got to the University I was late to the party. Didn't met anyone with same aspirations so only social life was going out. Worked throughout to pay for utilities, food and such. This senior year I have gotten around a 3.7 taking a bunch of science classes.
Anyways point I am getting at is I don't have a strong support system or resources to strengthen my application for the DO cycle. My father lives in Canada with a new family, and my mother is moving in with a guy in a different state. I will be responsible for car insurance, student loans. I need to use what I have to apply to a proffessional school which is in my reach.
I am heavily considering pharmacy I was wondering if anyone has any other advice. I have taken all the science pre-reqs and I need a back-up plan that still sets me up in healthcare which is ultimately what my passion is in. I've also been studying this year for the MCAT and got a 505 on the offical AAMC practice exam so I'm sure I could do well of whichever exam I would do.
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise properly.

but do NOT take the exam until you're 100%.

From your GPAs, you'll probably need to apply very broadly.

I guess my point is you're going to have to find a place to stay regardless of what programs you apply to. I know it's not always easy to focus when family situation is isn't ideal but just keep your eye on your goal. Don't let short term comfort or discomfort dictate the long term. Focus hard on the MCAT, try to get a DO letter and apply. Lots of luck to you!
Based on the information you have provided, I believe you are URM (black). I would apply this upcoming cycle if those are the GPAs you will be working with. Take the MCAT when you are ready and after reaching your target scores. Good luck.
I was more pointing at how it will be a little more difficult to get the funds to apply broadly, and to study hard for the MCAT if I have to provide a roof over my head. But your right, I was bombarded with an email about student loan repayment today, then my mom is talking about moving in with a guy out of state. Guess this last month of school is going to be about studying for the MCAT.

Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise properly.

but do NOT take the exam until you're 100%.

From your GPAs, you'll probably need to apply very broadly.
What is the last date that I can take the MCAT and apply without being considered late?

if you do qualify as URM, you could prolly get away with a 497+ at DO schools and 508+ for MD school.

if you do qualify as URM, you could prolly get away with a 497+ at DO schools and 508+ for MD school.

Yeah I think the whole point is that because 50% of the population will be non-white in the next decade (mostly latino growth). These groups that have been historically mistreated may feel alienated in a healthcare because it is predominantly white. Conversely, I think there are definitely a lot of racist physicians still out there even though the younger generation is becoming more accepting.

I was more pointing at how it will be a little more difficult to get the funds to apply broadly, and to study hard for the MCAT if I have to provide a roof over my head. But your right, I was bombarded with an email about student loan repayment today, then my mom is talking about moving in with a guy out of state. Guess this last month of school is going to be about studying for the MCAT.
You can likely qualify for a fee waiver that defray most secondary cost. Also you can defer or get your loans in forbearance

September. The DO cycle is longer.
Goro you are a huge help!
Does it look as bad as people say to be a re-applicant? It really gets me excited thinking about taking the MCAT and making a push these next 4 months to apply this cycle. If it has a devastating impact on my future chances, then I will wait.

Does it look as bad as people say to be a re-applicant? It really gets me excited thinking about taking the MCAT and making a push these next 4 months to apply this cycle. If it has a devastating impact on my future chances, then I will wait.
The reapp bias is mostly SDN hype. I have seen plenty of posts from people who got in on Round 2 with an early app after bombing round 1 with a late app.

There will be some schools that will ask "why couldn't this guy/gal get in on the first try?" but if you're URM then the odds also shift in your favor for the first cycle, significantly.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted with almost that exact gpa with a 510 mcat (plus a ton of other experiences and a SMP).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

500+ puts them into the running for MD, and pretty significantly so honestly.

I’m having a hard time getting a good picture of your app. Could you give me a tldr with the GPAs and EC? If you apply URM (you should) then you have a good chance for MD as well.

First off I have had a job since I was 16 so I am definitely not going to list all the different ones I've held at various points to get me to the next step.
I am at the end of the line so they say. The results are in:
3.35 cGPA (maybe 3.38 If i end excellent)
3.25 sGPA (maybe 3.29 if I end excellent)
Freshman year(community college): Red Lobster on weekends (15 hours), Biology student of the year, additionally was asked to participated in an interview because of my success.
-Roofed during summner to keep afloat
Sophmore( community)- took A & P (6 credits), Physics, and general bio 2 at same time got 3.5 while working 15 hours a week at Red Lobster.
Baldwin soup kitchen, Mcrest
---Couldn't afford tuition (parents split) so had to take a year off to work and pay off the 4 k I owed.

When I got to the University (age of 21)
various random volunteer experience (probably won't put any on app)
Advantage sales and marketing rep
head youth basketball coach
hospice for past year

-Pretty much I can't compare myself to other applicants who were put in a University their first year and followed the "pre-med checklist". I met with my counsler last year, and she wouldn't give me any help because she thought I was a slacker. It use to bother me I couldn't have been in some way a little more guided, but now I am glad becuase it has built character. My parents split when I began college. I knew that I wanted to become a DO so I took the courses and did what I had to do to stay afloat.

Work hard on the MCAT. I have a personal friend who is URM like you and had 5 MD interviews this cycle, one to a top 20, and will be attending an MD school this fall. He had slightly lower GPAs than you and ~503.

If you get 510+ you will be surprised at the schools that will be giving you interviews.